X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin - add copy path feature

Kubuntu 16.04 with Dolphin version 16.04.3 (and Plasma 5.8.7):

Lubuntu's file manager, PCManFM, has an option to right-click on a file and then to choose "copy path" from the context menu. This allows the user to paste the file's entire path and filename somewhere else.

I don't see that in Dolphin. I looked in "Services" and found something which has what I want but it's for Konqueror.

Does anyone know if that feature is available for the version of Dolphin that I'm using.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chimak111; Jul 01, 2017, 09:57 AM. Reason: improved title
    Kubuntu 20.04

Make your own;

Copy this and save it as ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/CopyPath.desktop

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Service
    Icon=editcopy
    ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin,inode/directory,inode/directory-locked,inode/directory-hidden
    MimeType=application/octet-stream;inode/directory
    Actions=CopyPath
    X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel

[Desktop Action CopyPath]
    Name=Copy Path
    Icon=klipper
    Exec=echo -n %U | xsel -b

Please Read Me

Comment

Have you tried this?
      http://bits.mdminhazulhaque.io/linux...y-as-path.html

Comment

You mean I wrote that for nothing ??

Please Read Me

Comment

Somehow delayed double post
          Last edited by whatthefunk; Jul 01, 2017, 07:07 AM. Reason: Double post....

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

The procedure described in whatthefunk's link works for me. It mentioned the need for xclip which I installed.

oshunluvr's code didn't work for me until I realised I needed to install xsel. Then it worked.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Yeah, I should have mentioned that...

Please Read Me

Comment

These scripts are great, and certainly a testament to the power and malleability of Linux. I have one (probably horribly new-bish) question: Why the need for a script like that when you can just press [F3] in dolphin and drag and drop files or folders from one location to another?
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                  These scripts are great, and certainly a testament to the power and malleability of Linux. I have one (probably horribly new-bish) question: Why the need for a script like that when you can just press [F3] in dolphin and drag and drop files or folders from one location to another?
                  My usage is mostly pasting into a terminal window. And after using that route for some years, I got used to it
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                    My usage is mostly pasting into a terminal window. And after using that route for some years, I got used to it
                    I see. Well, in that case, you can just press [F4] in Dolphin, and BAM...A Konsole terminal window. There's always many ways to get things done in Linux
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I see. Well, in that case, you can just press [F4] in Dolphin, and BAM...A Konsole terminal window. There's always many ways to get things done in Linux
                      Very true but just opening a terminal in the current folder via Dolphin's F4 is fine but we still need to provide the filename which is what Copy Path does.
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

True. For that particular feature in Dolphin I go to View > Location Bar and tick 'editable location bar', which allows me to copy the path right from Dolphin's address bar.
                        K*Digest Blog
                        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

True. For that particular feature in Dolphin I go to View > Location Bar and tick 'editable location bar', which allows me to copy the path right from Dolphin's address bar.
                          Maybe I'm missing something, but even 'editable location bar' doesn't include the filename on my system.
                          Attached Files
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                          X