This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube not working

Hi, I am trying very hard to love Open Source software for daily driving, and I figured it would help if I invested some time into fixing annoying bugs. So we will start here:
    Probably once a week, Youtube just stops playing videos. The page will load fine, the video will quickly buffer and then clicking the play button results in 1 frame of playback, then it freezes. After a short wait, a watermark will appear over the video player that says "If playback doesn't begin shortly, please restart your device". And that's it; if I want a Youtube video to play, I have to restart my computer. Restarting Firefox will not fix the problem.

When Youtube videos stop working, other video streaming sites (eg Odysee, BitChute, Vimeo) all stop working in the same manner as well.

Sometimes the problem will appear on system startup, sometimes it occurs hours into a system session, or sometimes even days.

How do I go about fixing this? Either how do I fix it without restarting my computer, or extra points for how do I prevent it happening in the first place. Restarting my computer to get video playback to start working again in very annoying, especially when I'm deep in a work session. I am trying to embrace Linux, not learn to resent it.

New user info:
    • Kubuntu 20.04
    • Installed on disc
    • KDE version 5.68.0 (I think, this is the "KDE Frameworks" version. NOTE: The find KDE version method listed here does not work anymore. I used kf5-config --version)
    • I don't think I have grub. 'apt-cache show grub | grep version' returns nothing and 'apt-cache show grub' returns "Can't select versions from package 'grub' as it is purely virtual"
    • I have Windows installed on a completely separate disc
    • Desktop
    • Ryzen 2700x
    • 1080ti
    • 32gb
    • 1 256gb ssd w/ this Linux install, 1 2tb ssd with Windows on it
    • 1 internal optical drive

Also, another note, I had to complete 14 recaptchas to create this account: 7 the first time, 7 the second time after my first set of account info was denied. Cmon guys.

The Info Center will give you all the info you need.
    You have Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Since you have an Nvidia 1080Ti, the first thing to check is to see if you have the proprietary video drivers installed. These are much more performant than the stock open-source ones, and could be a factor.

You will want to check the Driver Manager to see what driver you have installed, and install the recommended one, if is not already installed.
    You can find the Driver Manager in System Settings, or via the Software Sources tool found in Discover's settings section.

Comment

Originally posted by NowThatsDamp View Post
      When Youtube videos stop working, other video streaming sites (eg Odysee, BitChute, Vimeo) all stop working in the same manner as well.
      What about other local video players at the same time when this happens? VLC? If this is the case, you should look into codecs installation/ update.

Related to nvidia, try sudo prime-select nvidia and nvidia-smi.

Comment

Working...
      X