This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] Unwanted Application on Statup

Hi all, I'm fairly new to Linux, previously a Window user I'm not used to the speed and responsiveness!

I have Nautilus showing me a file explorer every time I boot into Kubuntu, I can't see how to disable it, from research across the web I've look in -

System Settings > Startup and Shutdown
    /etc/rc.local
    crontab -e

Is there anywhere else I can check (and are any of the above obsolete) ?

Thanks!
    Andrew.

Go to System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown (in the System Administration section) -> Session Management. Change the On Login option at the bottom to*Start with an empty session, and then click*Apply.

I got that from https://askubuntu.com/questions/1185...n-applications

I'm not able to verify it right now, but you have the option to continue your session the next time you login. I often use a file manager, and therefore have several nautilus windows open always. As well as music and browser.

In fact I'm so used to continuing my session, that when I use another distro, and it starts up to an empty desktop, I sit there, waiting for all the windows to appear. But they don't. And then I realise it's not Kubuntu.
    Last edited by ianp5a; Jun 20, 2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! This has not only fixed the Nautilus appearing issue, but has also fixed my (what I assumed was unrelated) wallpaper disappearing issue which was going to be my next post!

Double thanks!

Andrew.

Comment

Don't worry about the speed and responsiveness. You'll get used to it. Then you'll expect more! Then demand it! It's a common user trajectory. Don't forget your freedom from Microsoft's tyranny and treadmill$.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
          Thanks for the quick response! This has not only fixed the Nautilus appearing issue, but has also fixed my (what I assumed was unrelated) wallpaper disappearing issue which was going to be my next post!

Double thanks!

Andrew.
          Andrew, it has not fixed it and never will, Nautilus is the " File manager and graphical shell for the GNOME desktop" and is incompatible with the KDE plasma desktop, all you have done is hidden the problem,
          The wallpaper disappearing is one of many things that will happen, some of which you will no doubt put down to the KDE plasma desktop, the difference between the desktops, is like the difference between night and day.

When you installed Nautilus, this is what else was installed, all Gnome apps.
          Code:
          Building dependency tree       
          Reading state information... Done
          The following extra packages will be installed:
          brasero brasero-cdrkit brasero-common gcr gnome-desktop3-data
          gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnome-user-guide gvfs-backends
          humanity-icon-theme hwdata libbrasero-media3-1 libburn4 libdee-1.0-4
          libexempi3 libgail-3-0 libgcr-ui-3-1 libgmime-2.6-0 libgnome-desktop-3-7
          libisofs6 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common libjte1
          libnautilus-extension1a libp11-kit-gnome-keyring libpam-gnome-keyring
          libtotem-plparser18 libunity-protocol-private0
          libunity-scopes-json-def-desktop libunity9 libyelp0 libzeitgeist-1.0-1
          libzeitgeist-2.0-0 nautilus-data p11-kit p11-kit-modules python-xdg
          python-zeitgeist session-migration yelp yelp-xsl zeitgeist zeitgeist-core
          zeitgeist-datahub
          Suggested packages:
          libdvdcss2 dvdauthor readom gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 unity-common eog
          gnome-sushi
          The moral of the story is stay with KDE apps, and if you are not sure ask, we all had to learn, and at times it was a steep learning curve.
          The best thing you can do is uninstall Nautilus.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Danum View Post
            The moral of the story is stay with KDE apps, and if you are not sure ask, we all had to learn, and at times it was a steep learning curve.
            The best thing you can do is uninstall Nautilus.
            John
            You can use gnome apps in kde just fine. Not sure why you would want to use natuilus anyway dolphin is a much better file manager imho.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. I didn't install Nautilus myself and generally prefer using Dolphin anyway, although I do have KDE Plasma / Gnome / Unity all installed, which I probably deserve a slap on the wrist for! Initially I wanted to experiment with different desktop environments until I found one I was comfortable with, and figured I could leave the others installed as a backup. They're generally not causing me any problems, but I do feel like they're fighting with each other sometimes.

I have too much time on my hands at the moment due to personal circumstances so I'm prepared for the steep learning curve, I'd rather that than reinstall everything from scratch and be none the wiser.

Andrew.

PS. I'm also attempting to boot my Windows 10 partition from within VirtualBox if anyone has any experience with that?

Comment

There is no real reason that you can't install multipal desktop enviroments . its easy to switch sessions and there are even reason to have more then one installed. on a machine i plan to make session from i may perfer a lightweight desktop for the remote clients like lxqt, or xfce But i may want to use a different one locally. or maybe my users like different desktop enviroments.its completely fine todo this. The only real downside as you see is that every desktop enviroment will come with its own tools so you will have 2 file managers and 2 text editors and 2 media players, etc... For this reason many people will just stick with one desktop enviroment.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                  PS. I'm also attempting to boot my Windows 10 partition from within VirtualBox if anyone has any experience with that?
                  You're much more likely to get a response to this if you start a new thread - don't worry, they're cheap!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X