Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Kubuntu never displays release upgrade notifications?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Kubuntu never displays release upgrade notifications?

I am using Kubuntu 21.04 and never received a release upgrade notification on my desktop and laptop. This is my first installation of Kubuntu and I wanted to see how it works in real life before I suggest it to my friends and family. It is a security issue where mostly older people and non tech savvy people never upgrade their system to newer versions. Please add support for notification for new release upgrades.

I will guess some bug has prevented the upgrade notification form happening? My old system with 21.04 got the notification, and was upgraded fairly recently, after sitting idle for some months due to a dead power supply.

Normally, Ubuntu based systems do get upgrade notifications.

There is a method to start this manually, if the notification is not seen for some reason.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Im...grades/Kubuntu

fwiw, 'older' and less tech savvy people might be better served with the LTS Kubuntu release, which have three years of support, and upgrades every two years, and those upgrades notifications are not switched on for some months after the official release.

Comment

I get upgrade notification all the time. I'm in K 20.04 LTS, but the basics having changed in 21.04. There's one sitting in the status and notifications area of the tray right now that I am applying as we speak, and I also had one yesterday and a few days ago.

Mine shows up as a small up-pointing arrow; yours could be different based on what theme you have installed. Most updates will be small packages of mostly security updates.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by kubuntuadmin View Post
        I am using Kubuntu 21.04 and never received a release upgrade notification on my desktop and laptop. This is my first installation of Kubuntu and I wanted to see how it works in real life before I suggest it to my friends and family. It is a security issue where mostly older people and non tech savvy people never upgrade their system to newer versions.
        "release upgrade" Are you complaining about not getting package update notifications or a new version release notification?

If you're not getting a notification to "upgrade" to 21.10, look at /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and make sure it says "prompt=normal". I don't consider a release upgrade to be a "security issue". It's not a general bug-fix, it's installing the latest version with newer software.. Probably more likely to have security issues than remaining with the older version.

If you're talking about individual packages, Discover should be doing that and it will show up in systray or can be made to do different notifications. Check System Settings > Notifications > Application Settings.

Originally posted by kubuntuadmin View Post
        Please add support for notification for new release upgrades.
        This is a user forum, not a developer portal, however as this functionality already exists, it's not really a valid thing to ask for, is it?

Please Read Me

Comment

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/up-to...fication/13038

Comment

Working...
          X