FAN Speed Control - Newbie wants to Switch to Linux Permanently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAN Speed Control - Newbie wants to Switch to Linux Permanently

Hi, I've HP Laptop EliteBook 8440p and I am new to linux. I want to control my laptop's Fan speed, I was able to do so very easily in windows 7 by using the HWinfo software but in linux it is difficult. I tried installing lm-sensors, xsensors and fancontrol packages.

The "sudo sensors-detect" command only detect "coretemp" and add it to the /etc/modules. After running "sudo service kmod start'' it says "there are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed".
    I tried a FIX by mdhalien which did not help me at all:

This can be fixed by relaxing an acpi check in the kernel (hmm), see https://hydra.geht.net/tino/howto/linux/fixes/w83627hf/ amongst others for more details. The way I fixed this is to edit /etc/default/grub to add acpi_enforce_resources=lax to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT giving:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_enforce_resources=lax"
    Then need to update the boot configuration:

sudo update-grub
    and reboot.
    I am stuck here, please help me control fan speed. There is no option to control it in BIOS.
    Last edited by mumer012001; Jan 13, 2022, 12:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to add tags before and pardon me for my English also.

Unfortunately, most PC makers don't provide Linux support. If your fan sensor isn't supported by the kernel there's not much you can do but wait and see if someone develops support. Seems unlikely as that laptop is fairly old at this point.

I would be very wary of trying things from 8 years ago, jus' sayin'.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr I installad NBFC - NoteBook Fan control and it helped me little bit. It works, but it has a problem that I am unable to run my Fan always at 100% speed. I've raised an issue on the repo, please do me a favor and check out this issue: https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/issues/1217 and try the program yourself and let me now if you're able to run your Fan at full speed 100% always without slowing it down. Its a humble request, please help me.

Comment

Sorry, my system is water cooled...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X