X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Kubuntu?

Hi Team,

Wondering if someone can help me here, Why should I install Kubuntu, not Ubuntu?

What are the best features Kubuntu have better than Ubuntu LTS on a dedicated server?

Regards
    Q

Are you looking for a standard OS with a fully functional desktop or a server?

Comment

do you want to use KDE as your desktop or unity ? if you want unity install ubuntu if you want kde then install kubuntu . there are additional flavors of ubuntu and the main differance is just the desktop envroment they come with.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

The main Ubuntu is going to change their desktop environment for the next release. I wouldn't advise a new user to learn a desktop environment that is going to get chucked out in 6 months time. You should try Ubuntu GNOME as that is the desktop environment they are changing too.

Comment

Often, but not always, a server is "headless". That is, it has NO GUI or Desktop Environment. There is an Ubuntu Server Edition. It comes with NO GUI or Desktop Environment. There is NO Kubuntu Server Edition. People will connect with a headless server, when necessary, remotely - from another computer.

If you install Ubuntu Server Edition you can ADD a GUI and there are many different Desktop Environments available. You can make it (Desktop) Ubuntu like or (Desktop) Kubuntu like or a mixture of both... or Xubuntu or Lubuntu and so on.

Are you suggesting, from what you say, that there is an Ubuntu LTS, separate from Kubuntu? No, Kubuntu has LTS as well.

You need to say more about what kind of dedicated server you want. Some of the metapackages (collections of different apps) which come withe either Desktop Ubuntu or Desktop Kubuntu may prove unnecessary.
          Last edited by arochester; Apr 26, 2017, 11:13 AM.
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalBerg View Post
            Hi Team,

Wondering if someone can help me here, Why should I install Kubuntu, not Ubuntu?

What are the best features Kubuntu have better than Ubuntu LTS on a dedicated server?

Regards
            Q
            To pile on here a bit: The "server" aspect isn't relevant to a choice between Kubuntu or Ubuntu. Kubuntu, for all practical purposes IS Ubuntu. The difference between the two are the Desktop Environments (DE). If you are building a server install, decide if you even want a DE or not - my server does not have a DE. I use ssh for terminal access and do everything needed that way. There is also a very good web browser interface called Webmin that does almost everything needed (updates, etc.) if you're not comfortable with command line usage.

The majority of your interaction with the server - once set up - will be through tools like Dolphin or others. I use my server for Plex (a media distribution program), NextCloud, file sharing and storage, and Torrents using Transmission (which has a browser interface of it's own). None of these features require a DE on the server.

Please Read Me

Comment

And then the obvious reply: Why not?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                If you are building a server install, decide if you even want a DE or not... The majority of your interaction with the server - once set up - will be through tools... None of these features require a DE on the server.
                I would agree Oshun. All of my servers here use headless Ubuntu with Webmin and ssh for administrative purposes. I actually prefer ssh for most tasks, but since other users administer them as well, I added Webmin to make it easier on them.

cheers,
                bill
                sigpic
                A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

If you want a DE on a server, I recommend something like lxqt, or enlightenment and a window manager

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
                  Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Posted against the wrong thread ... been there done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X