linux change over problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linux change over problems

I recently "killed" Windows 10 as I could not find my way around it. I went to Kubuntu and am much happier. I have two problems. One the touch screen stopped working and two I read and connect to WIFI but can not go online. I have an 2016 Dell Inspirion 15 3000 laptop. I just bought the machine, It was brand new in the box. I like the look and feel of linux and would never go back to microsoft. So please help!

Start by identifying the Wifi chipset - that needs to be known before anyone can help you. Probably it's a Broadcom and some drivers will need to be installed. The most reliable way to find your adapter info is using lshw - you'll probably need to install it.

Open up Konsole and enter these commands:

sudo apt update
    sudo apt install lshw
    sudo lshw -C network

This will produce several paragraphs - one for each network adapter. Look for the one referring to your wireless adapter. Something like this:

Code:
     *-network
          description: Wireless interface
          product: Wireless 7260
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
          logical name: wlp3s0
          version: bb
          serial: ac:fd:ce:21:ac:0f
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
          configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.4.0-67-generic firmware=17.948900127.0 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
          resources: irq:33 memory:f7c00000-f7c01fff
    This tells me I have an Intel Wireless 7260 (vendor and model).

Depending on how your wifi is attached to the motherboard, either lspci or lsusb will probably list it also. Mine is wired to the PCI bus, so lspci produces:

Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)
    Once you have your vendor and model, do a web search for it along with "ubuntu" and you'll probably find what you need.

As far as the touch screen, you state "...stopped working". Does that me it worked with Kubuntu initially then stopped or it never worked with Kubuntu? Touch screens are still hit-or-miss with Linux, but you might want to check in System Settings and see if it's just turned off.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X