This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] One of my montior's has no signal

I have installed Kubuntu 21.04 recently on my PC.

I have a dual monitor setup and noticed on first login, one of my monitors (which is set to primary) is black, no signal. I then tested this monitor on its own (so no dual monitor), and there is still no signal (have tried with both a display port cable and a hdmi. I tested another monitor I have, and that also works fine. The only difference I can see between the monitors that work and that one that doesn't is the higher resolution (2560x1440). Although, when I had dual was enabled, I did set the resolution down to 1920x1080) but still no signal.

My GPU is an Nvidia RTX 3090. I have not installed the official nvidia drivers, so I am just using the one that comes with kubuntu. My motherboard also come with onboard graphics, not sure if this is causing conflicts and needs to be disabled.

One last thing, the nvidia x server settings app is displaying no information (is just a blank gui)

Any ideas/pointers on where I should start here?

Thanks a lot
    Jim

Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 10, 2021, 08:06 AM.

I then tested this monitor on its own (so no dual monitor), and there is still no signal (have tried with both a display port cable and a hdmi
    That suggests that the monitor is defective.

Does it have any physical controls accessible by the user to control settings, brightness or mode?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What is the Make and Model of the problem monitor?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The monitor isn't defective as I am using it in windows (my Kubuntu is dual booted along side windows 10). There are controls to adjust brightness, mode, e.t.c Unfortunately it is in Chinese so I can't understand it and would be a lot of trial and error) are you thinking that the mode may need to be changed?

As for the monitor itself, it is a HKC 7000+

Comment

Probably a scan frequency issue. KScreen isn't very good at picking the correct settings.

Why not install the nVidia driver? Of course, nvidia settings won;t work unless the driver is installed.

If you're dead set against using the nvidia driver, you'll have to figure out what to use with xrandr. A quick web search reveals:

Display size: 27 inch
          Display Resolution Maximum: 2560 x 1440
          Panel Type: IPS
          Interface: DP,DVI,HDMI,VGA
          Aspect Ratio: 16:9
          Vertical View Angle: 178 Degree
          Monitor Contrast Ratio: 20000000:1
          Response Time: 8ms
          Refresh Rate: 60Hz
          Built-in Speaker: No
          60Hz is the most common so it seems odd that it's not working. With both monitors on and connected, whats the output of xrandr after boot up?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jim204 View Post
            The monitor isn't defective as I am using it in windows (my Kubuntu is dual booted along side windows 10). There are controls to adjust brightness, mode, e.t.c Unfortunately it is in Chinese so I can't understand it and would be a lot of trial and error) are you thinking that the mode may need to be changed?

As for the monitor itself, it is a HKC 7000+
            I must have misunderstood this: "I then tested this monitor on its own (so no dual monitor), and there is still no signal (have tried with both a display port cable and a hdmi..."

Yes, I was thinking about changing the mode if the monitor wasn't broken.

Is "HKC 7000+" the complete model number for that monitor. I couldn't find any web listing about it. Lots of b, c, t and other X7000 listings, but not just 7000+
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 09, 2021, 12:19 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I will probably then install the nvidia drivers then, does anyone have a guide on how to install nvidia drivers under kubuntu? FYI this is the monitor in question

https://item.jd.com/892222.html

Comment

This explains multiple ways in detail: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu...ietary-driver/

You definitely should install the 470 version of the driver from the repos and not from the nvidia site. Install dkms first, then install the driver.

What does the Driver Manager in Systems Settings show?

Please Read Me

Comment

All is working fine now that the proprietary nvidia drivers have been installed. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X