Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed - please help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pigeon View Post
    Hope I like it, Really don't want to fall into the new user trap of hopping from one to another, to the point distros themselves become the hobby.
    Hehe. Simply use and learn Kubuntu for 'long enough' that you can make a 'qualified' decision as to keep it or look for something else. We (KFN) are here to help you on your Linux journey.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you so much for the help and words of wisdom!

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
        I'm in like Flin!
        Not Flynn, nor Flint?
        For clarity, I have 3 drives in this laptop, one Windows 10, one Storage, and one that I'm trying to get Linux onto so I can dual boot.
        I'm not sure this is relevant to your trouble, but I'll mention it anyway.

New Linux users often think something like that, keeping one drive for windows, and one drive for Linux. (I thought like that at one point, I think.) But EFI and grub don't naturally work like that. EFI wants to have one ESP, and grub wants to control the boot, even if you go on to boot Windows. Having an ESP for Windows and a separate one for Linux will likely cause trouble sooner or later.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Sorry, back to this one too late. One of the screen shots above shows the EFI partition on partition 1 of /dev/sda. That would be /dev/sda1. The Grub files should reasonably be installed in /dev/sda1 and the installer default should be changed to that value. The only exception COULD be for dual boot with Windows, where the Grub files could be installed in the Windows EFI partition, as claydoh noted.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
            Sorry, back to this one too late. One of the screen shots above shows the EFI partition on partition 1 of /dev/sda. That would be /dev/sda1. The Grub files should reasonably be installed in /dev/sda1 and the installer default should be changed to that value. The only exception COULD be for dual boot with Windows, where the Grub files could be installed in the Windows EFI partition, as claydoh noted.
            Is there a way to fix this without a total reinstall, and could it be the reason I get this problem?
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...need-help-here

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon View Post

Is there a way to fix this without a total reinstall, and could it be the reason I get this problem?
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...need-help-here
              No, not a reason for this at all. That is a bug of some sort. Rare, but I have seen reports of this happening over the years.

Comment

Working...
              X