X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When plasma 5.9?

Hello,

I have added repos backports to kde and I am still in kde 4.8.5. I'm not in a hurry but, when will the 5.9 plasma update? There are problems?

Thank you.

Depends of which version of Kubuntu you are using. (KDE Neon is at 5.9.3)
    http://www.tecmint.com/install-kde-plasma-5-in-linux/
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You are still on kde 4.8.5? What version of Kubuntu are you running?

Xenial (16.04) + Kubuntu Backports = Plasma 5.8.5
      Yakkety (16.10) + Kubuntu Backports = Plasma 5.8.5

Because Plasma 5.8 is LTS, the Kubuntu team felt that we would keep Plasma 5.8.x on Xenial as it is LTS as well.

As Yakkety has a short life, EOL being in
      July 2017, we felt that the best use of limited resources would be to concentrate on getting Plasma 5.9.x into Zesty.

Comment

There you go, jony, straight from the best source possible! (BTW, the link I posted discusses 5.9 BUT shows how to install 5.8.5 since 5.9 wasn't out at the time the article was written)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
          You are still on kde 4.8.5? What version of Kubuntu are you running?

Xenial (16.04) + Kubuntu Backports = Plasma 5.8.5
          Yakkety (16.10) + Kubuntu Backports = Plasma 5.8.5

Because Plasma 5.8 is LTS, the Kubuntu team felt that we would keep Plasma 5.8.x on Xenial as it is LTS as well.

As Yakkety has a short life, EOL being in
          July 2017, we felt that the best use of limited resources would be to concentrate on getting Plasma 5.9.x into Zesty.
          I understand, I use version 16.10. Do you recommend using backport or better use only the default repos?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            BTW, the link I posted discusses 5.9 BUT shows how to install 5.8.5 since 5.9 wasn't out at the time the article was written)
            Which they admit in the article a little way down, but they still titled the article "Install KDE Plasma 5.9 in Ubuntu 16.10/Linux Mint 18, Fedora 23/25 and OpenSUSE" as blatant click baiting and search engine trolling!
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by jony127 View Post
              I understand, I use version 16.10. Do you recommend using backport or better use only the default repos?
              The backports should be stable for 16.10 to get plasma 5.8.5, which I assume you already have.
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I have Plasma 5.8 and it's a whole truckload more stable than 5.5 was. However, it's still got that annoying systray bug with 3rd party non-plasma apps. Pidgin seems to be getting nicked the hardest right now by it.

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
                  I have Plasma 5.8 and it's a whole truckload more stable than 5.5 was. However, it's still got that annoying systray bug with 3rd party non-plasma apps. Pidgin seems to be getting nicked the hardest right now by it.
                  Which bug? There are more than 1 AFAIR.

Comment

Obviously, the best way to get 5.9.3 now is to switch to KDEneon. The User Edition has 5.9.3 and is very reliable during daily use.

Please Read Me

Comment

When plasma 5.9?

5.9.3 has been very stable and fast, except when my HD is accessed. I have a new HD on the way.

PS- I burned the Neon User Edition of 3-16-2017 onto a USB-2.0 using Etcher and booted it up. It was faster than my HD install because there was not the usual 10-20 sec delay accessing the HD.
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 19, 2017, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X