This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] PPA and Muon

I have recently updated gimp using a ppa.

I removed the existing gimp using Muon, and installed the new package from the command line (clean install).

Will I be able to update gimp from Muon. I note that it is installed, as noted by Muon. If not, what is the recommended procedure for updating?

What is the relationship between Muon and a ppa. I note that the ppa is listed in sources.list.d. I am wondering if Launchpad is linked to Muon?

How can I check that a ppa is secure? I checked the gimp ppa, by accepting the vailidity of the archive as stated by person of standing within a graphics community who also uses kubuntu; but, I should be able to validate myself.

Thank you
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Good answer to the "secure ppa" question: http://askubuntu.com/questions/35629...o-watch-out-fo

My personal answer: If a popular ppa has a bad or broken or "hacked" file it, someone usually figures it out quickly and makes it public. One of the primary factors I look at is when was it last updated. IF it's not very recently, I might look for another more current source for a package. I think package validation relies on checksums but I don't know if there's an easy way to do that locally (yourself).

Muon (and others - synaptic, etc.) is simply a graphical front-end for package management tools. It reads the sources from your apt lists and offers those packages for installation, plus other functions like upgrading or removing them. If you added the ppa to your sources, the packages in the ppa should be available in Muon. So yes; you should be able to upgrade GIMP using the ppa with any method - whether it be Muon or apt or apt-get, etc. If you just downloaded the GIMP package(s) from the ppa without adding it to your sources lists you will not be able to upgrade it.

Note, as a matter of normal course you would not have to first remove GIMP, then add the ppa, then install the new version of GIMP. Assuming all works as it's supposed to, you can add the ppa, then simply upgrade GIMP using Muon (or whatever your preference is). Muon will offer you the upgrade as part of it's normal function.

AFAIK, the only "relationshsip" between Muon and Launchpad is Launchpad hosts ppa's and muon can use them to install packages. I don't know if I would consider that a relationship.

Please Read Me

Comment

Before I installed the ppa, I did not receive updates for gimp. Having installed the ppa, I now receive updates. Why did I not receive updates previously?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
        Before I installed the ppa, I did not receive updates for gimp. Having installed the ppa, I now receive updates. Why did I not receive updates previously?

Thanks
        This is because Ubuntu does not update the Gimp between releases, normally. The ppa is updated as often as the owner wishes to do so.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as I can remember, I never received any updates for gimp, before I installed the ppa

Comment

Nice try anyway Clay... LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

What Imeant was I did not receive any updates after the releases.

Comment

I think what Clay was trying to explain is:

If you were using only the normal Kubuntu PPAs - as you were before adding the special GIMP PPA - it is expected NOT to have received updates to GIMP, as the Ubuntu PPAs - the source of most of our non-Plasma/QT packages like GIMP - do not normally update GIMP between Ubuntu releases. GIMP isn't developed by Canonical so they're not responsible for it and aren't investing time in periodic updates for it. When they do a new Ubuntu release, they typically include the latest stable GIMP version. So Clay was saying you wouldn't see any updates to GIMP until a new Ubuntu was released, not a new GIMP release.

Maybe you misunderstood his use of "releases" to mean GIMP releases when he meant Ubuntu releases?

This is exactly why we have "special" PPAs available - so software developers can provide a source for the latest and greatest version of their product without making the users rely on the distro to update their packages.

BTW, thank you for pointing out this PPA as I didn't know of it. I have added it to my sources. I use GIMP quite a bit so I want the best available version. I also keep Handbrake, VLC and a couple others on the cutting edge this way.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

If you were using only the normal Kubuntu PPAs - as you were before adding the special GIMP PPA - it is expected NOT to have received updates to GIMP, as the Ubuntu PPAs - the source of most of our non-Plasma/QT packages like GIMP - do not normally update GIMP between Ubuntu releases. GIMP isn't developed by Canonical so they're not responsible for it and aren't investing time in periodic updates for it. When they do a new Ubuntu release, they typically include the latest stable GIMP version. So Clay was saying you wouldn't see any updates to GIMP until a new Ubuntu was released, not a new GIMP release.

Maybe you misunderstood his use of "releases" to mean GIMP releases when he meant Ubuntu releases?

This is exactly why we have "special" PPAs available - so software developers can provide a source for the latest and greatest version of their product without making the users rely on the distro to update their packages.

BTW, thank you for pointing out this PPA as I didn't know of it. I have added it to my sources. I use GIMP quite a bit so I want the best available version. I also keep Handbrake, VLC and a couple others on the cutting edge this way.
                  'Maybe you misunderstood his use of "releases" to mean GIMP releases when he meant Ubuntu releases?'

I did assume Gimp releases.

'If you were using only the normal Kubuntu PPAs...'

When I use the Muon Package Manager, am I actually using the normal kubuntu PPA's - is that what the package manager is?

When I see system updates in the lower panel are these from the PPA's and the kubuntu PPA's combined.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                    When I see system updates in the lower panel are these from the PPA's and the kubuntu PPA's combined.
                    Updates can come from any of the repositories, which include any active PPAs.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes. As Snowhog says, "updates" come from all active sources you have. So both the (K)ubuntu and and PPAs you have installed will show up.

Please Read Me

Comment

yes that is to say ,,,,,that ALL the sources listed in the the file /etc/apt/sources.list and all the files in etc/apt/sources.list.d will be read by any thing that updates/upgrades/or installs to ,,,,the system .

like muon , synaptic , apt , apt-get , ,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          yes that is to say ,,,,,that ALL the sources listed in the the file /etc/apt/sources.list and all the files in etc/apt/sources.list.d will be read by any thing that updates/upgrades/or installs to ,,,,the system .

like muon , synaptic , apt , apt-get , ,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                          Hi,

I have a sources.list file that contains sources and a sources.list.save file that, also, has sources. I am not sure what the 'save' means. I have a sources.list.d folder that has one source. I added this source, It looks like the latter folder is reserved for PPA's that I add to the system.

Best wishes.

Comment

"Sources.list.save" is a backup copy of the original sources.list file. .save files are made anytime that you perform a version upgrade of your running Kubuntu. When Kubuntu is first installed, the active repositories are put in the sources.list file. Any other repositories you "add" as opposed to "activate", get put into the sources.list.d folder. This helps to distinquish between installation sources and sources added afterwards by the user.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

'BTW, thank you for pointing out this PPA as I didn't know of it. I have added it to my sources. I use GIMP quite a bit so I want the best available version. I also keep Handbrake, VLC and a couple others on the cutting edge this way.'

I have been looking for a PPA for VLC.

I posted a question on the VideoLan webforum regarding a good PPA, and the administrator could not recommend one, as the official PPA is not well maintained.

Where did you obtain the VLC PPA?

Comment

Working...
                              X