X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck on Install on an Asus F553M

Hi there!

I am trying to install Kubuntu 16.04.1 LTS from an Kingston USB 3.0 on an Asus F553M laptop using the 2.0 USB. Previously, I disabled faststartup, fastboot, secureboot and enabled csm. I tried to booting from the USB 3.0 and it didn't recognize it. From the USB 2.0, it can boot up to the USB drive via UEFI. On GRUB, I selected "Start Kubuntu" which lead me to a freezing kubuntu logo. Changing to nomodeset, after several bootups, it gets stuck on different parts of the install. Where it gets stuck, doesn't display any error to my knowledge. After a while, the laptop simply shuts down on its own.

What can I do to solve this issue? Thank you for your help.

What can I do to solve this issue?
    Not real sure!

For starters ... it sounds like your ASUS laptop's firmware is UEFI, right? If so, you should--IMO--want to also disable CSM.

I am trying to install Kubuntu 16.04.1 LTS from an Kingston USB 3.0 on an Asus F553M laptop using the 2.0 USB.
    A little confusing. If your laptop has a USB3 port, then I would use a USB3 live Kubuntu thumbdrive, or you can also use a USB2 thumbdrive. If the laptop only has USB2 ports, then stick with USB2.

If using UEFI, when you boot your laptop using your Kubuntu live USB, when you see the POST screen, hit your key (is it F2?) to enter your firmware setup, find the boot menu(s), and select from the list (of boot options) your USB live UEFI. It may show two entries for your USB: one is not UEFI, and one is for UEFI.

fyi, if it helps, see my
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977
    the section called
    Installing the OS in UEFI mode, doing your own partitioning, include ESP
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply!

USB3: for some reason, when I connect my usb drive into USB 3, the laptop simply has a black screen. It is powered on but screen is off.

My laptop has UEFI.
      I disabled csm.
      Selected boot device with uefi option.
      Select option "Start Kubuntu" with nomedeset.
      Stuck on screen with last line " [OK] Started Restore /etc/resolve.conf if the system crashed before the ppp link was shut down ".

Comment

Hi there!

Problem solved: Changed the parameter "OS Selection" from Windows 8.X to Windows 7 and the installation booted up.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Glad you got it. Sometimes it helps having someone to talk to while you are solving your own problem

Btw, welcome to the Kubuntu forums! We're pretty friendly around here, so feel free to hang out or drop in now and then.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yes, welcome!

If I may ask, how did you find out about us (Kubuntu Forums . Net)? What was your reason for wanting to try Kubuntu?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              Glad you got it. Sometimes it helps having someone to talk to while you are solving your own problem

Btw, welcome to the Kubuntu forums! We're pretty friendly around here, so feel free to hang out or drop in now and then.
              Ha! You're telling me. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Kubuntu-Please
              Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
              HP15 -
              -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Ha!

Comment

Working...
                X