X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer stuck at restart after install

Hi all,

I just installed Kubuntu 16.10 on my computer from a live-usb. Installation went smoothly and once it was finished I was asked to allow restart. And then I got this :

The screen is just frozen as it is. I can't write nor enter any command.

The computer is a HP HDX 18. Processor is a Intel Centrino 2 64-bit . There are two HD. I don't have any other information since computer is stuck on this screen.

During the install I chose manual partitioning : /boot 1Gb, / 50 Gb, swap 4 Gb, /home 190 GB. All on the first drive. Second hard drive was mounted on a partition called /media/stockage. All except swap are in ext4.

Maybe I am wrong but the first two lines look like the HD is failing. But a few searches gave as a result that the fourth line ( BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request )could be linked to Intel Processor Microcode updates. So I am a bit at a loss here abouy what to do next.

Thanks a lot for your help.

when you installed did u install3rd party drivers? if so try installing with out them
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

sr0 refers to your dvd/cd not hard drive.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        sr0 refers to your dvd/cd not hard drive.
        Yes, I used to get those strange sr0 errors on my old system at every boot, whether there was a readable disc in the drive or not. They never seemed to be relevant to anything.

John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Did you remove the installation CD before the reboot?

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedbacks,

@sithlord48 : I did install with third party drivers. I will follow your advice if nothing else works

@dibl : I didn't remove the live-usb before restarting.

After a while I shutdown the computer and tried again to boot. Now I get a grub rescue at boot. Even stranger I tried to restart booting from the live-usb and depending on my luck I either got an "end-trace" error either a kernel panic ending with "unable to mount". And the screen just got stuck as it is.

I erased the live-usb and recreated it using Rufus and after ten attempts to boot I can finally write on this forum but plasma crashed and the windows proposing to install Kubuntu is nowhere to be found.

Before that from the Bios, I did a memory test and hard drive auto-test. Memory seems fine but according to the result the two hard drive gave "replace disc" but not always. Sometimes the same test said main HD was ok, next one it wasn't.

From various forums, I found solutions to the grub rescue problem like this one :

Code:
            grub rescue > ls
            (hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,msdos1)
            grub rescue > ls (hd0,msdos1) # try to recognize which partition is this
            grub rescue > ls (hd0,msdos2) # let's assume this is the linux partition
            grub rescue > set root=(hd0,msdos2)
            grub rescue > set prefix=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub # or wherever grub is installed
            grub rescue > insmod normal # if this produced an error, reset root and prefix to something else ..
            grub rescue > normal
            Trouble is : during install I separated my /boot from the / creating a special partition /boot. So I can't follow those above instructions as they are and I have no idea how to adapt them. Furthermore ls command works fine alone but "ls (hd0,1) /" or "ls (hd0)" or "ls (hd0,msdos1)" or "ls (hd0,msdos1) /" or any combination I found on the web gives "unknown filesystem".

About the partition I made, they are mounted just fine from this live-usb session and grub is in /boot including grub.cfg whose absence, according to forums, could have been the source of the problem.

About the grub rescue, I also found another fix. Apparently once you managed to boot you are supposed to write :

Code:
            # update-grub
            # grub-install /dev/sdX
            where /dev/sdX is your boot drive
            But I managed to boot from usb-live not from the HD so I have no idea how to do it from the konsole and "kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ "

To follow the rules of the forum, here are the specs of my computer :

Code:
            kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ lscpu
            Architecture:          x86_64
            CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
            Byte Order:            Little Endian
            CPU(s):                2
            On-line CPU(s) list:   0,1
            Thread(s) per core:    1
            Core(s) per socket:    2
            Socket(s):             1
            NUMA node(s):          1
            Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
            CPU family:            6
            Model:                 23
            Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz
            Stepping:              10
            CPU MHz:               2401.000
            CPU max MHz:           2401.0000
            CPU min MHz:           800.0000
            BogoMIPS:              4788.17
            Virtualization:        VT-x
            L1d cache:             32K
            L1i cache:             32K
            L2 cache:              3072K
            NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0,1
            Flags:                 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf eagerfpu pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority dtherm ida
            Code:
            kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ lspci | grep aphic
            00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
            Code:
            kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ lsblk -io KNAME,TYPE,SIZE,MODEL                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
            KNAME TYPE   SIZE MODEL                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
            sdb   disk  14.9G Cruzer Blade                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
            sdb1  part  14.9G                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
            sr0   rom   1024M BDDVDRW CT10L                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
            loop0 loop   1.4G                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
            sdc   disk 232.9G ST9250827AS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
            sdc1  part 232.9G                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
            sda   disk 232.9G ST9250827AS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
            sda4  part 181.7G                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
            sda2  part   3.7G                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
            sda3  part  46.6G                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
            sda1  part   953M
            Since booting from the live-usb was successfull for once, I will stay in front of this computer to try any advice you will give me.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Comment

When installation is complete, and it says to reboot, you need to remove the USB stick before the boot begins. Not sure if this is your actual problem, depending on how the boot sequence is set in your BIOS, but it could be.

Comment

Hi Dibl,

The boot order in the Bios is the following : 1/ Portable Hard Drive ( no idea why portable ) 2/ Usb drive 3/ CD-ROM.

I checked if other hard drives were available to boot from in the bios but it was the only one. I also tried to manually boot from the HD canceling boot at start with escape and selecting "choose boot device" in the bios menu.

As for now, selecting to boot from the HD gives me a grub rescue screen.

Maybe there is an hidden option in the bios allowing to boot from a specific partition but i didn't find it. As for now, I can only choose to boot from HD and then get the rescue grub error.

Comment

Originally posted by Patoche View Post
                  The boot order in the Bios is the following : 1/ Portable Hard Drive ( no idea why portable ) 2/ Usb drive 3/ CD-ROM.
                  I assume you mean to install Kubuntu on an internall hard disk drive? Maybe you did, but you'll never boot it with that sequence. Change the boot sequence to:

1 - USB Device
                  2 - CD ROM (or optical drive or whatever)
                  3 - Hard Disk Drive (NOT portable)

Then, since it doesn't work anyway, just reinstall the OS, and this time make sure the installer is pointing to the internal hard drive, which will be /dev/sda, for the first one, or /dev/sdb for the second one.

Then, when installation says it is complete, reboot and remove the USB stick before it starts the boot.

Comment

Hi again,

It's working ! The solution I found was to install boot-repair and use the recommended repair. It installed grub on all partitions.

A few strange things I noticed :

1) I couldn't find Hard Disk Drive in the BIOS. Maybe it's a translation error but the only option remained "disque dur portable" that you can translate from French to English by Portable Hard Drive. Or maybe it was just a confusing choice of word since "portable" in French can means laptop but it's not a correct phrasing. Anyway I couldn't choose to boot from a specific hard drive and I still don't know which partition the bios chooses to boot from since I installed grub on all partitions.

2) Grub works but proposes me to load Ubuntu. Doesn't change anything since choosing this option loads kubuntu but do I have to worry about it ?

3) Using the partition manager. I see all mount point remained the same. But the swap partition is strange : it has a size of "3,73 Gio" but space used is said to be "9,23 Gio". Is that normal ?

Besides those points, I installed all updates as advised by the computer assistant. I guess in the future i will have to upgrade distrib. Anything else I should do ? Update BIOS ? Processor Microcode ? Reading the forum, it looks like a lot of troubles come from the fact that computers are made for their original Windows and nothing else. Any compulsory driver install or hardware update ?

Thanks a lot for all your answers,

PS : for those who encounter the same problem and wish to use boot-repair, a tutorial can be found here : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
                    Last edited by Patoche; Jan 02, 2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Yourpost is very nice can you please help me with the [url=http://123hpoj.com/pro-6954-setup.html]driver download link[/url]the patch related to printer installation is missing in my system.

Comment

Working...
                      X