X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing make

I though that I might try and compile some files. This was unsuccessful

In order to compile, I needed to install 'make'. After my unsuccessful attempt at compiling, I decided to redeem the space. To my surprises, I cannot remove 'make' using e DEB Package Manager!

There is a red symbol on the bottom right hand corner of the DEB icon (in package manager). Is this significant? (it must be).

Advice please.

Happy New Year

PS. Is there a compiling primer available
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Usually when needing to compile you need to make sure you have "build-essential" installed. It is supposed to include all the bits necessary to compile.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
      Usually when needing to compile you need to make sure you have "build-essential" installed. It is supposed to include all the bits necessary to compile.
      I now have both packages installed.

Why could I not remove 'make'?

What do those little blue bits in the bottom right hand corner of the DEB icon in the Package Manager signify?

Happy New Year

Comment

The command
        Code:
        [COLOR=#111111][FONT=Consolas]apt-cache rdepends make[/FONT][/COLOR]
        Should give you a list of all dependencies of the make command then once you have the list you can then use the following command to remove make and its dependencies
        Code:
        apt-get remove package1 package2 etc.
        systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
        Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
          The command
          Code:
          [COLOR=#111111][FONT=Consolas]apt-cache rdepends make[/FONT][/COLOR]
          Should give you a list of all dependencies of the make command then once you have the list you can then use the following command to remove make and its dependencies
          Code:
          apt-get remove package1 package2 etc.
          Thank you.

Are you saying that the little red symbol on the DEB package means that it has dependencies?

Comment

Curious as to why you feel the need to remove make? It's like 356KB (that's KB not MB) and if you ever install anything not packaged for debian you'll end up re-installing it anyway. On my system, the 100's of reverse depends include the nvidia drivers and kubuntu-desktop and build-essential among other very important packages.

Why risk breaking your system for 356KB?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Curious as to why you feel the need to remove make? It's like 356KB (that's KB not MB) and if you ever install anything not packaged for debian you'll end up re-installing it anyway. On my system, the 100's of reverse depends include the nvidia drivers and kubuntu-desktop and build-essential among other very important packages.

Why risk breaking your system for 356KB?
              If the OP is happy to download and install from binery packages only then removing it won' t affect his system
              systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
              Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                Thank you.

Are you saying that the little red symbol on the DEB package means that it has dependencies?
                I have no idea, I've stopped using Ubuntu a while ago. But most package managers will either warn you about removing packages with dependencies or refuse to remove them without removing the dependencies at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                  What do those little blue bits in the bottom right hand corner of the DEB icon in the Package Manager signify?
                  Those are 'KDE Gears' and signify that the package is built specifically for KDE.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X