This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much disk space needs Kubuntu 16 04

I am new to computing and have set up a new PC with a relatively small ssd of 125Gb.
    I noticed that less than 100Gb were left after the installation of Kubuntu 16.04 and some programs i am using.
    It is mainly Quantum GIS.

How much disk space takes Kubuntu?
    Is there a way, preferably a GUI, that shows which program including the operation system takes how much of disk space.

Much thanks in advance,
    Kairo

In general, Kubuntu will need 8-12GB for a full install.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...tern-in-linux/

Please Read Me

Comment

I checked again using filelight and only 95Gb of my hard disk space are available after the install. leaving 30 Gb gone. Filelight does not seem to visualize how much disk space the OS and programs take. Is there a way to check this?

Comment

My favorite tool for checking where my disk space went is ncdu. It has to be run from a terminal but it's fast, light and easy to understand.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

There's no way any linux install takes 30GB by itself. You've got more on there than that. I have KDEneon with OpenOffice and Google Earth and quite a few other things and my install is 13.6GB.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
            My favorite tool for checking where my disk space went is ncdu. It has to be run from a terminal but it's fast, light and easy to understand.
            Awesome Wiz! Adding this one to my toolbox. Adding the -x option prevents it from scanning the non-local file systems and --exclude /home skipped the /home directory. Quicker than plain old du and better output. Thanks!

Please Read Me

Comment

It was the swap size 16Gb that were automatically assigned.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                There's no way any linux install takes 30GB by itself. You've got more on there than that. I have KDEneon with OpenOffice and Google Earth and quite a few other things and my install is 13.6GB.
                I installed my first dual boot about a month ago, using Mint and following instructions i found on the net. The instructions said to make the / partition 20GBs. When I decided to try Kubunto a couple weeks ago i had to up it to 25GBs or it wouldn't install. When I went to Neon this week, I just left it at 25GBs.
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  I installed my first dual boot about a month ago, using Mint and following instructions i found on the net. The instructions said to make the / partition 20GBs. When I decided to try Kubunto a couple weeks ago i had to up it to 25GBs or it wouldn't install. When I went to Neon this week, I just left it at 25GBs.
                  As I said, my "fully loaded" KDEneon install is using less than 14GB. This does not include /home or swap - that's not part of the OS. Likely, one of the reasons Windows eats space is it creates a pagefile (swap file) by default. I'm sure there's a way to remove it, but I don't care enough to find out. With Linux, if you don't need a swap partition, don't make one during install or remove it later. With 16GB of RAM, I don't use or have swap.

For the sake of the discussion, I just now did a new Vbox install of KDEneon user edition from a newly d/l'd ISO just now. I assigned a 16GB virtual drive and let the installer decide how to use it ("Guided" install). It created a 4GB swap partition (matching the RAM I allotted the VM) and a 12GB ext4 partition for the install. When complete, I fully updated it. It sits, as installed, using 3.1GB of drive space - not including the swap. Then I went and removed Firefox, VIM, Kwrite, Picture of the day, and VLC. These all amounted to only .1GB.

I can't imagine how or what you're installing to make your installs take up so much space.

As the original poster to this thread explained:
                  It was the swap size 16Gb that were automatically assigned.
                  This was the cause of his question.

I'll say it again: There's no way any linux install takes 30GB by itself.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, just because I can't help myself - you needn't have partitions for /home or your installs if you use btrfs instead of the older filesystems. I have three installs and four homes residing on a single btrfs filesystem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X