This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended graphics card?

I'm not new to Kubuntu, but still a complete newb. I am researching components for a new build for Wily. My last build was Jaunty, and I loved it. I had a dual monitor setup with EVGA GTX8800 gpc.

I'm wondering if there are recommendations or preferred graphics cards that work better with KDE. I'm not interested in making this into a gaming system. This is strictly a working computer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Honestly, outside of gaming, Intel / AMD / NVidia all work well for daily-use computers with Kubuntu. I have a laptop with Intel onboard graphics that works great, and older computer (8 yrs?) with an old 2 Ghz dual core Intel CPU paired with an NVidia GS6400 graphics card that is also used to send 1080p video to an HDTV (I picked up the card on Newegg a few yrs ago for around $25.00), and a new beast of an office computer (AMD 8750 8-core @ 4 Ghz) paired with an AMD Radeon 360 video card. For your use case, you likely don't even need the proprietary drivers for what you would be using the compy for (non-gaming tasks).

Opinion: For my money if I was building any type of general use computer, I would go AMD all the way and likely get an APU from them that handles the graphics onboard of the CPU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Ac...rocessing_Unit), as clearly there is no rival in terms of relative "bang-for-the-buck. Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113395 would have your whole CPU / GPU locked up for around $100.00. Again, this is just an opinion feel free to discard
    Last edited by dequire; Apr 05, 2016, 11:20 PM.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

These days on-board graphics is enough for Kubuntu with multiple monitors. Just make sure the mobo has the ports you want; I have a new i7 that has one of each of DVI, VGA and HDMI, but no display ports.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

dequire, jlittle,
        Thanks to both of you for the comments. I haven't looked at new gear for a build in many years, so I didn't even know that there was an option to get a CPU with the GPU embedded in. I plan to do more than just general computing (email, internet, etc). First, I really like the KDE environment, so I'm designing my system around that. I'm also tinkering with micro controller projects and minor home DIY automation - including some networking. That doesn't require heavy computing power, but it's just an FYI in case you guys know something relevant that might impact my research.

I do want to use sites like YouTube and playing videos, but I assume this fits into your suggestions already. I have no intent to do any video editing or graphics design.

My primary focus will be numerical computations, system modeling and simulations, numerical models, etc. I have plenty of storage - don't ask why, but I have three WD 500GB hard drives that I want to use. I haven't set any other hardware requirements yet. I'm tinkering with the idea of making this a water-cooled system, but I haven't decided yet. Going with a CPU-GPU system might simplify that configuration.

Thanks again for your comments. Feedback welcome.

Comment

I built my new system just over a year ago with an Intel Core-i5-4670 (3.40GHz). It has the integrated graphics in the CPU. I'm only a very casual gamer and recently installed Steam to try it out. I bought Half Life 2 and Portal games and both run perfectly well in this set-up, actually much better than I thought they might. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance. If I was a more serious gamer and wanted to play more recent games I would buy a discrete graphic card but I really don't see the need just now.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Rod J, thanks for the comments. I am leaning more this direction for my needs. I am less of a gamer than you, but I might play mindless puzzle games from time to time for relaxation. I have heard good things about the Intel cores. I am considering i7 as my first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by gshockxcc View Post
              .My primary focus will be numerical computations, system modeling and simulations, numerical models, etc. I have plenty of storage - don't ask why, but I have three WD 500GB hard drives that I want to use.
              I suggest you relegate those hard drives (aka spinning rust) to secondary storage only, and use SSDs for primary storage.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

sounds like a hyperthreaded 4 core I7 with the embedded graphics would do you just swell ,,,, get a decent amount of system RAM as it will be shared with the embedded graphics.

Kubuntu @hear will happily use 1-3 GB of RAM depending on whats happening ,,,,,for just casual use.........I have 16GB and have never seen it all used , only once did I see it get near 50% and cant now remember what I was doing .

I have this one,,, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz , the 2.90GHz is a bit misleading as it has turbo boost and routinely runs up to 3.90GHz and a 8MB L3 cache

it's fast ,,,, I compiled QMplay2 the other day and it took like 15 seconds .

I dont have the embedded graphics(or use ?,) I have a Nvidia-GTX-860M with it's own 4GB RAM.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  I suggest you relegate those hard drives (aka spinning rust) to secondary storage only, and use SSDs for primary storage.

Regards, John Little
                  You're probably right, but I thought I would make use of them since they are just sitting around. When/if they fail before the next build, I can always replace them with SSDs, can't I?

Comment

All,
                    I really appreciate the feedback, and the help. I am convinced that a cpu with embedded graphics is the way to go for my needs, and I'll build my system around that.

vinnywright,
                    I expect to build 32GB of ram for this, and that should cover everything that I might need to do for the foreseeable future.
                    Last edited by gshockxcc; Apr 06, 2016, 07:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

The situation other than gaming where you might want more GPU than the integrated one is more than two monitors, but you can always add a second card later if need be.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        The situation other than gaming where you might want more GPU than the integrated one is more than two monitors, but you can always add a second card later if need be.
                        Agreed. I can't see a need for more than two monitors for my needs.

If I start off with a CPU with embedded graphics, are there any requirements for specifying a graphics card later? What would I need to know to make sure I get a compatible card? Would I just select one that works with the mobo assuming that I didn't already have the embedded graphics? Does that present any redundancy conflicts?

Thanks.

Comment

Generally, I believe two video cards can co-exist without problems as long as you set them up right. Conflictions can be avoided by a proper configuration.

Can't say about AMD as I stopped buying their stuff 20 years ago, but nVidia does have a switchable driver system where you can use one video card or the other - change from external card to embedded card. But this is usually a power savings vs. performance option that really wouldn't apply to a desktop PC.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Generally, I believe two video cards can co-exist without problems as long as you set them up right. Conflictions can be avoided by a proper configuration.

Can't say about AMD as I stopped buying their stuff 20 years ago, but nVidia does have a switchable driver system where you can use one video card or the other - change from external card to embedded card. But this is usually a power savings vs. performance option that really wouldn't apply to a desktop PC.
                            Also, if you add a discrete card later to either an Intel or AMD APU, you can usually select one or the other on boot via the bios, if all else fails. I'd say you're safe with looking at what you're looking at.

32MB RAM...whoa...doubt you'd ever come close to that unless you were doing serious number crunching or video rendering. Still, with ram as cheap as it is, nothing wrong with future-proofing when cost-effective.
                            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                            K*Digest Blog
                            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

the mother board you chose will or wont depending on what you get ,,,have multiple monitor outputs for a integrated possessor GPU and should have the BIOS/UEFI options for enabling/choosing a on board GPU ,,,,,,,,,make sure you check the features of the boards you look at .

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X