This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yet Another Nvidia GLX Question

While I am extremely happy with having made my second work (what a value-add!), the extra step of updating my kernel and restricted modules doesn't seem to help my video dilemma, any.

Comment

Good job, now lets no go ahead and get the fresh drivers from nvidia.com Save them to a place of your choice. It's a .run file so it's a self-extracting installer file. Next kill X, and log into a console. Navigate to the location you saved the file and type
      Code:
      sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7184-pkg1.run
      or
      Code:
      sh NVID*.run
      will save some typing.

The next part is where the nvidia installer come's up. Accept all the defaults. Hopefully nothing about kernel headers comes up since you've just updated your kernel.

After it's installed, re-login to KDE and doublecheck xorg.conf file.

Here is the official readme from nVidia. It's very detailed. http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...DME/readme.txt

If you have any problems with this, I'm off all day tomorrow. PM me your IM username/protocol, and we'll see if we can fix it (if needed).

Will

Comment

Sorry, man. My mom was in the hospital today and it kind of messed things up. I had a lot of homework, too. Plus, I had to feed a kid whose parents aren't ever home and don't give him money or food. I got to mess around with his ipod, though, since his parents won't let him use their computer. That worked very well in Kubuntu. I only needed lame and libxine-extracodecs to make it work. Very cool.

What was uncool was that I didn't have time to work on my video today. If I do end up needing IM, I think I'd like to use Google talk, because I already have that account left over from my windows days. If I'm not mistaken, it's based on Jabber, so I just might get it to work in kopete. If I get Talk to work, I'll just put the info in my profile. I'm not uptight about that sort of thing. I would tell you the info now if I could remember the info, myself. I think it may just be my gmail email address and that's already in my profile.

I think in my frustration before, I tried to use the nvidia shell script and found myself in need of either getting my wifi working in text-mode or configuring gcc. Neither appealed. Is this what I avoid by having new headers?

Finally, I think I might want to completely redo the Ubuntu wiki on GLX when I get this working for myself. Would this be welcomed or would people reject a method that doesn't retrieve the files from the repository?

Thanks,
        Sam

Comment

Alright! I got down to business and came this close. My problem is now reversed. The installation works but the initialization does not, whether I manually edit xorg.conf or whether I use the tool in System Settings. In there, the proprietary driver simply doesn't show up. If it helps any, the files I installed to make the install work were:

libc
          binutils
          pkg-config
          xorg-dev
          gcc
          make

Thanks,
          Sam

Comment

Working...
          X