X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Taskbar Activity

Hello,

While changing a background in one of my desktops, I lost my task bar. I have created a new default taskbar but when I minimise any application it does not form an icon on the task bar, it disappears.

In addition, no activity appears in the task bar.

Advice please.

Thank you
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Did you add a new panel? One can either add a new, blank panel, or a new panel with the default widgets already present- kmenu, systray, task manager (aka task bar), clock, etc.

For some reason you are missing the task manager and maybe other widgets. Click on the cashew-thingy at the right side of the panel, and select the Add Widgets button, and add a task manager to it. You may have to move it to your preferred location on the panel. You can hover over each widget in the panel while in the configuration mode and a tab will open, which you use to move/delete widgets.
    Last edited by claydoh; Feb 16, 2016, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I have followed your advice and now have a systems tray.

When I try to put some of the icons to the right of the screen, they flip back to the left (they were unlocked).

I would like my desktop and K icons to the left and the rest to the right. How can I achieve this configuration.

I post a snapshot of the current configuration.

Best wishes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	system_tray.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	643126

Comment

You have to sort of drag the widgets a little bit past where you want them, until whatever is there already slides off to the side

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Try this again.

Left click on Panel Tool Box icon (should be that yellow gourd looking thing on extreme right. The PTB should appear on your screen.

Now just move the cursor and hover over the object you desire to move.

Hold left button and drag the object to wherever in the tray. Let off the left button.

Proceed to next, etc, etc.

They should stay though you have the option of locking them in I reckon.
          Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
          HP15 -
          -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

This is for KDE 4, as the OP uses:

I dragged the panel taller so it is easier to see.

Notice that the task manager is not empty space. I think this describes what I mean about dragging the widget a little bit past where you want it to go, with the placeholder highlighted after you have gone that extra little bit.

Plasma 5 has it much smoother and without the snap you need to do above.
            Last edited by claydoh; Feb 16, 2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6448[/ATTACH]
              You still need to add a task manager, in the same manner as you added the system tray. From your screenshot, it is not present.
              Not sure which icons you are trying to move, but those in the middle,between the '1' and the ^ are actually system tray items, and not actual icons you move around. Also, is the screenshot showing the whole width of the panel, or just a section of it - it looks cut off

Comment

Left click on the PTB, unlock the widgets, and then move the cursor.... I think that you mean this. I will try again.

Sorry about the lack of a quotation.
                Last edited by anonprivate; Feb 16, 2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  This is for KDE 4, as the OP uses:

I dragged the panel taller so it is easier to see.

Notice that the task manager is not empty space. I think this describes what I mean about dragging the widget a little bit past where you want it to go, with the placeholder highlighted after you have gone that extra little bit.

Plasma 5 has it much smoother and without the snap you need to do above.
                  I have run the video

Comment

You still need to add a task manager, in the same manner as you added the system tray. From your screenshot, it is not present.
                    Not sure which icons you are trying to move, but those in the middle,between the '1' and the ^ are actually system tray items, and not actual icons you move around. Also, is the screenshot showing the whole width of the panel, or just a section of it - it looks cut off

Yes, I did cut off the graphic.

I did add the Task Manager, it is clicked in the widgets bar, but it is not showing on the task bar!

I have noticed that when I change desktops all the minimised application icons follow as well!

I tried turning off the tick in the Virtual Desktops (Different widgets for each desktop), and then turning it back on again. This made no difference to the minimised application icons. They still move with the desktops.

Best wishes.

Comment

A full screenshot (or 3) might help

The different widgets per desktop is for the desktops themselves, the panel/taskbar is not affected by changes there.
                      Right-click on the task manager, and check the settings - it can be set to show programs by virtual desktop, Activity, and other settings.

Another thing to try is to recreate a fresh, stock panel. If you click the cashew thing at the right of the panel, you can then grab the 'screen edge" tab, and move the entire panel to the top of your screen. We are just moving it out of the way for the moment.

Next, right-click somewhere on your desktop, and select Add Panel >> Default Panel. This will add a standard panel with all the default widgets you get with a fresh install. If this works, you can right-click on the panel you moved to the top, and delete it

Comment

'A full screenshot (or 3) might help'

I cannot see the 'Task Manager'

I post a graphic that includes the expansion of ^

Click image for larger version

Name:	system_tray1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	643128

Another problem

The fourth desktop (lower right) I use for online mailers.

One of my other desktops (lower left) I use for online applications. If I activate one of my online applications instead of opening it its own desktop it opens as a tab (in say Yahoo Mail) in the desktop dedicated to email. This problem also occurs for other online applications - they used to open in their own desktop environments!

If I start Firefox in,say, the applications desktop. and then start an online application programme it (the online application) starts in the correct desktop. It looks as though the online application needs a browser activated (open) on the pc prior to opening. If it finds one, it opens in a tab on that browser. A recent development!
                        Last edited by anonprivate; Feb 17, 2016, 07:40 AM.

Comment

The area with the firefox entry and the blank area to the right is your task manager

As to things opening in browser tabs instead of separate windows, that is a browser specific setting, and has been the default behavior in most browsers for some time now, regardless of OS. What I am guessing you mean by 'online applications' are actually web pages. I don't know how one would get a new browser window to open in it's own, new virtual desktop, though I am sure it is possible.

Comment

The area with the firefox entry and the blank area to the right is your task manager

As to things opening in browser tabs instead of separate windows, that is a browser specific setting, and has been the default behavior in most browsers for some time now, regardless of OS. What I am guessing you mean by 'online applications' are actually web pages. I don't know how one would get a new browser window to open in it's own, new virtual desktop, though I am sure it is possible.
                            When I try to move the clock to the right hand side it flips back to the left hand side.

Is there an option for a 12hr clock?

Best wishes.

Comment

Did you move it all the way over to the right? The entire blank area is the task manager, so you have to go all the way over, plus that little extra as seen in my video.

You change time format in system settings' locale section.

Comment

Working...
                              X