X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is to be done before rebooting a HUNubuntu?G UPGRADE 14-15 K

[SOLVED]

(Sorry - keyboarding problem prevents error correction of Title)

I installed onto a Triple-boot Kubuntu (Enrypted Home/cDo something else)14.04 and think it upgraded to 14.10 rather seamlessly on a Lenovo GOLO with an i3 4 G RAM. Now I might have to reinstall tho it looks like my upgrade just went downhill.

I used a /,/boot and /home and Grub 2.0 popped right up on top of my LinuxMint, Ubuntu 14.10 and Win10 installs.

Now,upgrading via the Muon gui, the install hung at "Configuring udev (amd64) and the few threads I found indicating this suggest it is a fairly prevalent bug.

There is one thread which suggests running a terminal line :

Go to the terminal and execute the command sudo groupdel input. Now run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Is that really safe? I think what I need to do is back everything u and reinstall if that does not work and if my Grrub is overwritten with non-functioning grub then the reinstall should fix it. But it is very annoying to have a greaat Quad Booting System now put in jeopardy and for I will update and let folks know how my luck runs but in the meantime if anyway has any precautionaries I would like to know:

1. What information should i gather BEFORE rebooting?

2. What commands will retrieve that info?

Thanks!

Bear
    Last edited by Guest; Jan 28, 2016, 03:35 PM. Reason: SOLVED

After reading this forum I would say yes it's safe:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/61304...o-ubuntu-15-04

If you don't trust it you could try the second suggestion.

Anyway, it's a new install right? So until it updates grub and that's only at the very conclusion, then nothing gets damaged.

Comment

SOLVED sort of

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      After reading this forum I would say yes it's safe:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/61304...o-ubuntu-15-04

If you don't trust it you could try the second suggestion.

Anyway, it's a new install right? So until it updates grub and that's only at the very conclusion, then nothing gets damaged.
      ===============================
      It is an upgrade and it did hang and lots of other people had reported problems with that exact error message but eventually it cleared - after like an hour, so probably not as a matter of lapsed time so much as something that I did - probably because the computer slept and I relogged in -- and so I grabbed all the information I could before I bit the bullet and rebooted and voila, it showed that I now had 15.04!

Comment

Working...
      X