X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh Oh, I Need Install Help

Downloading Chrome via Konsole and got to this point:

Code:
    2015-12-30 11:06:26 (274 KB/s) - ‘google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb’ saved [47539262/47539262]

richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo dpkg –I google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
    [sudo] password for richard: 
    dpkg: error: need an action option

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
    Use 'apt' or 'aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
    Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
    Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
    Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through 'less' or 'more' !
    richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ dpkg --force-help
    dpkg forcing options - control behaviour when problems found:
      warn but continue:  --force-<thing>,<thing>,...
      stop with error:    --refuse-<thing>,<thing>,... | --no-force-<thing>,...
     Forcing things:
      [!] all                Set all force options
      [*] downgrade          Replace a package with a lower version
          configure-any      Configure any package which may help this one
          hold               Process incidental packages even when on hold
          not-root           Try to (de)install things even when not root
          bad-path           PATH is missing important programs, problems likely
          bad-verify         Install a package even if it fails authenticity check
          bad-version        Process even packages with wrong versions
          overwrite          Overwrite a file from one package with another
          overwrite-diverted Overwrite a diverted file with an undiverted version
      [!] overwrite-dir      Overwrite one package's directory with another's file
      [!] unsafe-io          Do not perform safe I/O operations when unpacking
      [!] confnew            Always use the new config files, don't prompt
      [!] confold            Always use the old config files, don't prompt
      [!] confdef            Use the default option for new config files if one
                             is available, don't prompt. If no default can be found,
                             you will be prompted unless one of the confold or
                             confnew options is also given
      [!] confmiss           Always install missing config files
      [!] confask            Offer to replace config files with no new versions
      [!] architecture       Process even packages with wrong or no architecture
      [!] breaks             Install even if it would break another package
      [!] conflicts          Allow installation of conflicting packages
      [!] depends            Turn all dependency problems into warnings
      [!] depends-version    Turn dependency version problems into warnings
      [!] remove-reinstreq   Remove packages which require installation
      [!] remove-essential   Remove an essential package

WARNING - use of options marked [!] can seriously damage your installation.
    Forcing options marked [*] are enabled by default.
    richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
    Last edited by logan01; Dec 30, 2015, 11:32 AM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

I don't see a question. I can't say why you got an error when asking dpkg for info on the package. Maybe there's a typo somewhere that's not obvious? IMO, forcing a package install using dpkg is a bad idea unless you're REALLY sure of what you're doing - which it doesn't seem like you do in this case - not trying to offend, just an observation.

sudo dpkg -i <packagename> should install the package, but I have to ask why you're taking the more difficult path to get chrome? Installing this way will not provide updates or notices when Chrome is updated and browsers have frequent updates that are usually critical from a security perspective. In my view, it's much easier and safer to install the google PPA, then install Chrome from there.

Code:
    wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list'
    sudo apt update 
    sudo apt install google-chrome-stable
    You could also install google-chrome-unstable or -beta if you want bleeding edge.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks. No offense taken. The reason I was doing it that way is because of a ubuntu thread I found. I obviously am clueless. So just do these 4 entries?

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
      sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list'
      sudo apt update
      sudo apt install google-chrome-stable
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

[Interjection while oshunluvr is responding to the question ... Why not just use Muon to install Chomium?]
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yeah, assuming the commands are correct the results will be:

Line #1 - adds signature key for the PPA so you don't get error messages when using it.
          #2 - adds the PPA.
          #3 - updates your package list
          #4 - installs chrome-stable (latest stable version is 47.xxxx)

Just curious; why bother with Chrome instead of Chromium? I haven't ever seen a difference when using. Even the versions are almost the same.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            [Interjection while oshunluvr is responding to the question ... Why not just use Muon to install Chomium?]
            I can do that. Do I want Chrome or Chromium. The only reason I'm doing this is because Firefox 43 has become slow as can be.
            HP15 -

Comment

In general - at least in my opinion - when looking for a program that isn't in your package lists and installable using apt (or apt-get) or Muon, first search for a PPA then if none found, resort to manual package installation. Reason being (as I hinted to earlier) you'll get notification that new updates exist from the PPA rather than having to seek them out and re-install manually again.

Please Read Me

Comment

Off to muon I go. Chromium.
                HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
                  I can do that. Do I want Chrome or Chromium. The only reason I'm doing this is because Firefox 43 has become slow as can be.
                  Chromium is the open source version of Chrome, thus can be included by default without a license agreement with Google. In practical use they're almost the same - Chromium trails Chrome in update schedule a little bit. There's no issue that I know of either way - either browser is fine - unless you're an open source purist which would steer you to Chromium.

If you're interested in playing with new browsers, look at https://vivaldi.com/ . It's a new-ish project based on the Opera code I think. Seems snappy and has a unique interface. Not quite ready to be the only browser on my system, but it's nice so far and quick.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, got it installed and running. Gonna take it for a test run. Thanks guys.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      If you're interested in playing with new browsers, look at https://vivaldi.com/ . It's a new-ish project based on the Opera code I think. Seems snappy and has a unique interface. Not quite ready to be the only browser on my system, but it's nice so far and quick.
                      Thanks, I'll check it out too.
                      HP15 -

Comment

Oh yeah, Like a little rocketship (Chromium). Two problems I had were slowness of some websites loading and for whatever reason, when typing words in google search window, characters were either not being entered or entered slowly at times. This is nice. Thanks again. Are you curious to see what other changes I made and what else I downloaded via Konsole?
                        HP15 -

Comment

oshunluvr has answered the questions better than I could have; mainly
                          Chromium is the open source version of Chrome, thus can be included by default without a license agreement with Google.
                          Three years ago, I took an on-line Driver Safety Course from AARP (qualifies for Allstate discount, effective for a 3-yr period ...). It wouldn't play in my Firefox at the time (the Question -- Answer-ing interaction would freeze up), so they advised me to install Chromium, which I did, and the interactive course played super-fine and fast in Chromium. THIS YEAR, however, the updated course played just fine in Firefox. Nice to keep both browsers handy.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Oh yeah, I've played musical browsers before. Never used Chromium til now. Fast and just like Chrome. Seems to be functioning well. Added 3 extensions and so far, so good.
                            HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                            X