Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a bit more to my story (Post #13). We got pop bottles from everywhere in our small steel-factory town of population 16,000. But one place was the local, neighborhood grocery store. Yes, it was a small grocery located right smack-dab in the neighborhood (1950's). The proprietor would store empties in the back of his store, on a porch. Well, you guessed it. One day when we showed up to redeem the empties (some of which came from behind his store), he asked us, "Well, boys, where you getting your bottles these days?" We hem-hawed. Well, he figured us out. He gave us the money for the bottles, and then told us to go looking somewhere other than behind his store! Of course, had our parents found out about this, I wouldn't be here today to tell this story. Back then, there was no 'three strikes and you're out,' not for this kind of behavior. You got one strike. End of story! (At least we spent the money for candy at HIS store.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      There was a down side to that. My brother scavenged coke bottles so assiduously he caught hepatitis.

Regards, John Little
      No, no, no; Coke Cola bottles, not "coke" bottles.
      Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Working...
      X