This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install software and update without internet connection

I'm new with Linux and I need your help. How can I install software without internet connection like in windows? I don't have internet connection at all. Please help me

That will be problematic "at best", as in Linux, "software" (application packages) have dependencies; reliances on other packages that may or may not already be present/installed. If these dependent packages are not already present/installed, then attempting to install the application obtained from another source and downloaded to a CD/DVD/USB drive will fail.

Can you take your PC to a friend or associate who does have Internet access?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snappy ?

What is Ubuntu Snappy?: http://thelinuxrain.com/articles/what-is-ubuntu-snappy
      A Snappy application is basically a single compressed archive package with all the files contained within for the app to run. Yes, all the files, including the required library files. In other words, a single Snappy application contains all its dependencies within,...
      Try Me !

Comment

I can download needed file from my friend pc but I don't know how to install them cause it is very different from windows executeable

Comment

While I agree with Snowhog, we should answer your question. Using a computer that can reach the internet, you can research and discover which packages you need, and download the necessary .deb files for your release, transfer them somehow to the target, then install from them. Some unfree software is supplied that way, f.ex. Google Chrome.

If you have access to another computer that is connected and runs the same release, it is straightforward to find the dependencies (using a package manager like muon) but otherwise it would be tedious and error prone, because the dependencies can have dependencies, and so on. On a connected computer APT just sorts it all out; computers are good at that sort of thing.

Can you tell us what you need to install?
          Regards, John Little

Comment

To install a Debian/Ubuntu app on to a PC without internet connection.

1. Search the Debian/Ubuntu web site for app or apps you want to install using an internet connected PC.

2. Download the package (should have an extension .deb) to a removable media (i.e. USB stick)

3. Transfer .deb package or packages to your PC

4. Open terminal emulator (such as Konsole) and enter following command
            Code:
            sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb
            into directory (folder) where you transferred the package.

5. Enjoy using the new app.
            Last edited by Guest; Sep 23, 2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

also if you click on the .deb file it should start the GUI installer (for those of you who don't like the CLI)

Another thing you can do is download the repo on to CD/DVD and set up a local repository

http://www.unixmen.com/setup-local-r...-ubuntu-15-04/
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Might we ask if the lack of internet is due to it not working when you are booted to Kubuntu, or you simply don't have access to the internet in general?

Comment

Don't forget to check for and download all the dependencies too.

sudo apt-cache depends <package-name>

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X