X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive already mounted - busy error ?

Hello,

I have a hard drive which does not mount. The drive was deleted by mistake and due to a stroke of luck using testdisk , managed to restore the entire partition - so it would seem :

Click image for larger version

Name:	gpart-drive status.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	649041

EDIT : I just noticed something , there seems to be a boot flag . Could this be the problem and if so how can it be removed without deleting data ?

This is a storage drive , no operating system.

Now left with the following error message :

Name:	drive-error-message.png
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	649043

The message tells me that the drive is already mounted , but i can not find where ?

Used the - mount - command to list mounted drives :

Name:	mounted-drives-using-mount command.png
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	649042

Need some help on this .

Thanks.
    Last edited by kdeuser; Sep 14, 2015, 03:13 AM.

Hello again,

If i were to copy the whole drive to another clean drive in the same jfs format would this work in mounting the drive ?

Can i format the new drive to ext 4 and would this be ok ? or does the drive have to be as is i.e. factory set with no format and just copy ?

I am asking because a couple of weeks back i bought a dual docking station which can make exact copies of drives - without the use of a pc.

Thanks.

Comment

OK, so tried to deselect the boot flag using gpart - seemed straightforward .

Thought that was the problem . the - mount busy - has gone and followed by another similar error message.

Name:	bbot flag removed but does not mount.png
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	643028

Hope this helps.

Comment

I doubt the boot flag has any effect. Your posts are lacking in details: whats the drive type, what output did testdisk give you, have you run a filesystem check, have you tried mounting it manually and whats the output from that, etc.

If the filesystem is damaged, copying it to another drive isn't going to fix it.

Please Read Me

Comment

jfs_fsck ??

Comment

At the moment the drive in question is being cloned by a dual docking station .

It`s been roughly 4 hours so will wait and see what the next couple of hours hold.

The docking station is from - Coolbox.es - has a color system whereby green 25 % , red 50% , orange 75 % and yellow 100% with all lights lit as copy complete.

Comment

I am not quite sure if you only want to recover the partition or if you are trying to (also) recover the content.

In case you don't care for the content it's easier to just delete it and make a new partition with a file system of choice.
              In case of jsf, make sure you have JSFutils installed.

Comment

I am not sure what you're trying to do either.

If the filesystem is damaged (corrupted or missing portions) a clone of it isn't going to help. You'll just have two damaged file systems.

If you're trying to recover the files on the filesystem, I guess the upside is a back up in case your recovery efforts cause harm.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi,

It`s been 11 hours since the drive cloning started and still all the lights on the docking station are flashing.

I am waiting for the green light to come on which would be the 25 % mark.

Phoned support earlier on today and they said that a 1 tb drive took 4 hours to clone. My drive is a 2 tb but 11 hours .........i will leave it till morning , give the drive a chance to redeem itself.

I am trying to recover all the data , hence the cloning.

I tried to mount the drive manually by some commands i got from this forum :

sudo mkdir /media/hd7

sudo mount -vs -t jfs -o ro,nointegrity,errors=remount-ro /dev/sdc1 /media/hd7

Got the same error message.

Comment

Hello,

The cloning process seems to have gone through .

Tried to open the cloned drive and error came up again.

Ran a file check using gpart :

Name:	filecheck.png
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	643030

Used a 3tb drive as a clone and this is the print from gpart :

Name:	3tb drive clone.png
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	643031

How do i open the drive ?

Thanks.
                    Last edited by kdeuser; Sep 15, 2015, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Read the output, your drive, sorry, the file system is seriously damaged.
                      As per how it should work, the clone is identical and thus equally damaged.

A lost cause.
                      Last edited by Teunis; Sep 15, 2015, 10:50 AM.

Comment

@Teunis,

Thanks for the honesty there . Maybe i could give photorec another go.

Used photorec a few days back and seemed to work upto 26 gb then it kinda stopped on a sector but was still trying to recup.

I will give it another try right now.

Thanks , you made my day.

Comment

If the data is valuable to you, I can recommend this program: UFS Explorer

It's not cheap, but it works and well. I have a 2-PC license for the older version (4.9).

Please Read Me

Comment

@oshunluvr,

I downloaded the trial version see if it works but the manual is not too user friendly .

Do you have the Windows or Linux version ?

Do you select your drive from the left column , right click on the drive and select open storage or right click on the partition and select scan ?

A step by step would be welcome.

Thanks.
                            Last edited by kdeuser; Sep 15, 2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I haven't used it in a while but I don't recall it being complicated.

Run it as root (sudo), select the drive partition, then run, "test"

It should tell you how many folders/files are good or bad.

If there's something to recover, specify a Temporary File path and select files to recover. It can also make a backup or a drive and will work on an image file so you can make an ISO from your damaged disk using dd and then recover the data.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X