This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Kate to Kdevelop

I am going to re-post this question from here because it is not getting responses and because this area allows me to add a "[Development]" Prefix to the post.

I've been working for a while on a project, learning Python after a 20+ year absense from programming, and absolutely enjoying it. Until now I've been simply editing the files in Kate and using git on the command line, but now it has gotten to the point where some more intelligence on the side of the IDE would be welcome, and after looking around I settled on Kdevelop.

I found Kdevelop 4.6 in the repositories, which I imagine is fresh enough for my purposes.

Initially I just clicked arround, exploring the Kdevelop menus, and got all my source and configuration files opened in the IDE. I like what I see, but I have a few questions. Kdevelop did not recognize that I am using Git to manage the versioning - probably because I did not configure it right and/or did not start the project the right way. Kdevelop created a directory with the project name (or was it the session name) inside the directory where my code resides. So the source files are (were) at the same level as this directory. I suspect Kdevelop was looking inside THAT directory for the git repository.

I want the in-IDE VC features to work though so I started over, this time specifying the parent of the Project as the "projects" directory and the Project name as the Application name. It warned me that there existed files and I confirmed to let it go on, but it deleted all my project files, as well as the entire .git structure!!!!.

Fortunately I've learned my lesson a long time ago: I made a backup when the warning appeared, just in case, before I confirmed for it to continue.

What is the correct way to bring my source files into a KDevelop project? My file structure is

~/Projects/ACME-project/*.py
    ~/Projects/ACME-project/env/
    ~/Projects/ACME-project/.git/
    ~/Projects/ACME-project/html-templates

I have other projects that are not related to this one under ~/Projects/. Within ~/Projects/ACME-project/ I actually have source files for two sub-applications (les call them foo and bar), as well as the shared modules. So the source files are in a single directory, but (not shown above) there are in fact more than one VirtualEnv, one for the "client app foo)" and another for the "server (bar)"

I imagine I could backup everything, start a Kdevelop session, let Kdevelop initiate the two projects (different Git repositories then?) and create the relevant directories, then restore the files into those. But surely I'm not the first person who starts a Project in Kdevelop over an existing directory full of source files?

A second question: How to use the "Execute" / Launch features in Kdevelop. There appear to be a lot of settings relating to this, as well as debugging fucntions spread out through the IDE interface. However when I try to execute the program, "nothing" happens. By Nothing happens I mean the terminal shows up in the IDE, but no output appears in it, I would expect an error due to not having set up my Python VirtualEnv for running the program. How does Kdevelop figure out which of the Python files is the main module (I actually have two, being foo_main.py and a bar_main.py)

I expect the problem is that I have to configure the Launch settings, particularly for Python virtualenv, but how to do this is not obvious (Things were MUCH simpler the last time I used an IDE)

I played around with Kdevelop for a bit and found it kind of cumbersome. I switched to Sublime Text 3 and am loving it. Youre supposed to pay for it, but if you dont all that happens is an annoying popup comes up every now and again. Its not an IDE, but there are thousands of plugins that you can add to make it more IDE-like.

Comment

Firstly I really hate that Sublime is not in the repositories. (Having a package for an installer made by some third party doesn't help, it just proves that other people have the same issue)

I would happily pay some reasonable amount of $$$s for a decent editor like Sublime. And Sublime is a good editor, but so is Geany, Kdevelop, and may others. For me, to be charging $70, Sublime must offer $70 in value over what I get from other editors/IDEs.

From my limited knowledge (a couple of hours using Kdevelop, Zero time with Sublime) it seems that Sublime might be easier to set up, eg solve the Learning Curve issue. Maybe in time I will discover issues that are more long-term persistent, but for now I am going to stick with and rather support Free, Open software

Comment

I use KDevelop for years now. It recognises my git in each folder each time. Dunno why for you not doing it

Comment

You need to go in Projects > Open/Import Projects > your working dir

Comment

Working...
          X