This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Kate to Kdevelop

I've been working for a while on a project, just editing the files in Kate and using git on the command line. Recently it got to the point where I thought some more intelligence on the side of the IDE would be welcome, and after looking around I settled on Kdevelop.

I found Kdevelop 4.6 in the repositories, which I imagine is fresh enough for my purposes.

At first bat I just clicked randomly in Kdevelop and got all my source files (python) opened in the editor and like what I see, but I have a few questions. Kdevelop did not recognize that I am using Git to manage the versioning. Along with this Kdevelop created a directory with the project name (or was it the session name) inside the directory where my code resides. So the source files are at the same level as this KDevelop created directory. I Suspect Kdevelop was looking inside THAT directory for the git repository.

I want the in-IDE VC features to work though so I started over, this time specifying the parent of the Project as the "projects" directory and the Project name as the Application name. It warned me that there existed files and I confirmed to let it go on, but it deleted all my project files, as well as the entire .git structure.

Fortunately I've learned my lesson, I made a backup when the warning appeared, just in case, before I confirmed for it to continue.

What is the correct way to bring my source files into a KDevelop project? My file structure is

~/Projects/Name/*.py
    ~/Projects/Name/env/
    ~/Projects/Name/.git/
    ~/Projects/Name/html-templates

I have other projects that are not related to this one inside ~/Projects. Within ~/Projects/Name I actually have source files for two sub-applications, as well as shared modules belonging to this project.

I imagine I could backup everything, let Kdevelop create the directory, then restore the files. But I think it may be useful to set up a Kdevelop session for what I've been calling a project, and then have 3 Projects, one for the "shared modules", and one for each sub-application, more of which will be added in time.
    Last edited by Tahaan; Mar 25, 2015, 01:28 AM. Reason: Cosmetic changes

That second question

I meant to also ask about Executing programs from witin Kdevelop. The Gui suggests that there are a lot of debugging features usable if you "run" the program from inside the IDE. But when I try, "nothing" happens. By Nothing happens I mean the terminal shows up in the IDE, but no output appears in it, I expect an error due to not having set up my Python VirtualEnv for running the program.

Which leads me to the question of how to do that? Just point the python interpreter to the one within the VirtualEnv directory? (how?) Set some environment variables for Python? (Which ones, and how?)

Comment

Working...
    X