This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving to larger hdd

I am considering moving my 3Tb hard drive into my linux machine. As this is an all-in-one, it will be the only hdd. storage options , sata emulation in bios are ide or ahci.
    I turned off EUFI secure boot a while back and now it will not go back. So, its stuck at legacy. Will this be a problem?
    Can set sata power mgmt as either enabled or disabled.
    The machine is a HP 20-b011

Basically, trying to find out if this will work before taking it apart and placing the new drive in. If it can't be done, I will just not do it

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. You don't need secure boot for Linux, sata power management is a good idea IMO and I'd use ahci - it's faster.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been reading that it needs to be partitioned just right or it will fail to boot. The instructions I've found so far are murky at best. A link to a site with clear instructions about partitioning a drive of this size would be appreciated. It will hold, among other things, an apache server running a family tree software, works fine on current install. samba and a local only ftp for me to transfer files (backups and such.) Samba is easy too.

Comment

Reading what? Sounds like out-dated info to me - like anything more than six months is likely out of date. Post a link

Please Read Me

Comment

It was a little over a year old. Apparently a problem with booting from drives with gpt partition.

Comment

I believe you said your computer was EFI so you should have no trouble. You can boot GPT with a BIOS PC also, it just takes a bit more work:. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...rive-with-grub

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I believe you said your computer was EFI so you should have no trouble. You can boot GPT with a BIOS PC also, it just takes a bit more work:. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...rive-with-grub
              Tried with Uefi disabled and it wouldn't boot. Could have fixed it, but decided to try with Uefi and secureboot enabled. Installed and booted fine.

Comment

Working...
              X