Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For dvd::rip to work, my "rar" version is apparently too current.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For dvd::rip to work, my "rar" version is apparently too current.

In attempting to get dvd::rip to work, the application indicates the dependency "rar" is needed. What is apparently the version is shown as minimum 2.71 and maximum 2.99; my rar application is version 4.20 which apparently will not allow dvd::rip to work.

Another required dependency is "hal" which seems unavailable. Suggested is hal-info, which I installed, but dvd::rip still shows "hal" as a required dependency. Apparently my application contains all other needed dependencies. How do I obtain and install the missing dependencies?

dvd::rip hasn't been updated since 2010. I'd call it no longer usable, nor would I use anything that hadn't been updated for more than 4 years.

I'd suggest something more modern, like handbrake.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, I have done that; I was just trying to retain VOB files. Handbrake only offers mkv in my application. The quality is good, but I am having trouble copying my Stargate collection. There are 3 episodes on the first disk and only the first copies when using Handbrake, and I can not yet find how to copy the other two.

A few of the Stargate DVDs have stopped opening. I am trying to save as much of my collection to USB as possible or I wouldn't bother with the process. I can't see anything wrong with the DVDs that no longer work either. No scratches or prints that I can detect. Can a defective DVD be corrected? If so, how? Nice chatting once more, friend.
      Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      dvd::rip hasn't been updated since 2010. I'd call it no longer usable, nor would I use anything that hadn't been updated for more than 4 years.

I'd suggest something more modern, like handbrake.

Comment

VOB files can be copied from the disc. K3B should be able to copy the entire disc. If you want to retain the menus, a full iso copy works well, but they're large (same size as the DVD).

The advantage to handbrake is compression of the VOBs into a more reasonable size. Handbrake will do MPEG-4 (m4v or mp4) as well as Matroska (mkv).

Unfortunately, if there's no scratches it's unlikely you 'll be able to get anything off the unreadable DVD's. Sometimes a different reader will work.

Please Read Me

Comment

Two get the other shows off a multi-show disc, just select different titles from the same disc.
          Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, I have decided to take your advice. In Kubuntu, I copied the first episode. It worked great. I found the other episodes when trying the same thing using Windows 7, and thanks for the info as well. I am experimenting using handbrake in Windows 7 to get used to the application. I hope to be able to copy the entire series and copy to USB in Kubuntu. I suppose I could practice there, but I am here now and they both seem to work the same after the intellectually limited get squared away. Thanks mucho!
            Two get the other shows off a multi-show disc, just select different titles from the same disc.

Comment

Dear Oshunluvr,

Your image looks like you are in the Windows version of Handbrake. It is different in my Kubuntu version. When I was in Windows 7, your image is exactly how I remember the options provided. Nonetheless, the end product was terrible. Video would not play, and sound was broken and stuttery. If the image you show here is from an installation of Handbrake in your Kubuntu version of Handbrake, it is very different from mine. If so, perhaps I should uninstall Handbrake and reinstall. Nevertheless, as I stated in other replies, my Windows version is unusable while that portion that I was able to do in the kubuntu version is spectacular.

Comment

The reason for marking as solved is because apparently dvd::rip is no longer useable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	handbrake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	642611
                Last edited by Shabakthanai; Nov 23, 2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Your image looks like you are in the Windows version of Handbrake.
                  No - I don't even own a copy of Windows.

I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 and Handbrake 6537svn (x86_64) installed packages are handbrake-cli and handbrake-gtk

Please Read Me

Comment

No - I don't even own a copy of Windows.

I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 and Handbrake 6537svn (x86_64) installed packages are handbrake-cli and handbrake-gtk
                    I uninstalled Handbrake and re-installed it after restarting the computer. It is the same version. I circled the area that is different from your version to mine as follows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	handbrake.png
Views:	1
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	642612

Comment

You see where it says Title 1 followed by the time of that title you will also see a little down arrow, if you click on that it should then display other titles that are on the disk.

Comment

Where your dropdown shows the other episodes, mine shows chapters, not the other episodes, so I cannot select another episode for ripping. It doesn't make any sense to me. I am using Kubuntu 14.04 just as you are, and I supposedly have installed the same Handbrake.

You are much smarter than I; can you help me to understand what is going on. It seems like everytime I attempt to do anything in Kubuntu, I get other results from the same installations, and mine are usually problematic. Sometimes it is very frustrating. I am completely stumped at what to do to try to fix this.

Sorry for my downer attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                          Where your dropdown shows the other episodes, mine shows chapters, not the other episodes, so I cannot select another episode for ripping. It doesn't make any sense to me. I am using Kubuntu 14.04 just as you are, and I supposedly have installed the same Handbrake.

You are much smarter than I; can you help me to understand what is going on. It seems like everytime I attempt to do anything in Kubuntu, I get other results from the same installations, and mine are usually problematic. Sometimes it is very frustrating. I am completely stumped at what to do to try to fix this.

Sorry for my downer attitude.
                          It seems strange that Handbrake isn't showing more than one episode. Can I just confirm, the disk does have more than one episode on it?
                          Also can you check file -> preferences and under the advance tab has it been set to use dvdnav?
                          Attached Files

Comment

I see a couple other differences too. Do you have the most current GUI installed? There's 2 available in the repos. Make sure you have "handbrake-gui" and not "handbrake"
                            Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

did you @oshunluvr per chance add
                              ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
                              to your sources ?

I think this is ware the handbrake-gtk lives and is the newer ver.

Code:
                              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search handbrake
                              Sorting... Done
                              Full Text Search... Done
                              handbrake/trusty 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1 amd64
                                versatile DVD ripper and video transcoder (GTK GUI)

handbrake-cli/trusty 0.10.0ppa1~trusty1 amd64
                                versatile DVD ripper and video transcoder - command line

handbrake-dbg/trusty 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1 amd64
                                handbrake -- debugging symbols

handbrake-gtk/trusty,now [COLOR=#ff0000]0.10.0ppa1~trusty1 amd64[/COLOR] [installed]
                                versatile DVD ripper and video transcoder - GTK GUI
                              Code:
                              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show handbrake-gtk
                              Package: handbrake-gtk
                              Source: handbrake
                              Priority: optional
                              Section: graphics
                              Installed-Size: 21.5 MB
                              [COLOR=#ff0000]Maintainer: John Stebbins <jstebbins.hb@gmail.com>
                              Version: 0.10.0ppa1~trusty1[/COLOR]
                              Depends: libappindicator3-1 (>= 0.2.92), libass4 (>= 0.9.7), libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.15), libcairo2 (>= 1.10.0), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.78), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3), libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0), libgstreamer1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.9.12), libgudev-1.0-0 (>= 146), libmp3lame0, libnotify4 (>= 0.7.0), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libsamplerate0 (>= 0.1.7), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libtheora0 (>= 1.0), libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.2), libvorbisenc2 (>= 1.1.2), libx264-142, libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0), gstreamer1.0-libav, gstreamer1.0-plugins-base, gstreamer1.0-plugins-good, gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad, gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly, gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
                              Conflicts: handbrake
                              Download-Size: 10.4 MB
                              APT-Manual-Installed: yes
                              APT-Sources: http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-releases/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
                              Description: versatile DVD ripper and video transcoder - GTK GUI
                               HandBrake is a versatile, easy-to-use tool for converting DVDs and other videos
                               into H.264, MPEG-4, or OGG formatted media. It's particularly useful for making
                               videos that are compatible with portable video devices such as the Apple
                               iPod/iPhone. This package contains the graphical variant, ghb.
                              Code:
                              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show handbrake
                              Package: handbrake
                              Priority: optional
                              Section: universe/graphics
                              Installed-Size: 2,670 kB
                              Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
                              Original-Maintainer: Debian Multimedia Maintainers <pkg-multimedia-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
                              Version: 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1
                              Replaces: handbrake-gtk
                              Depends: liba52-0.7.4, libass4 (>= 0.9.7), libavcodec54 (>= 6:9.1-1) | libavcodec-extra-54 (>= 6:9.11), libavformat54 (>= 6:9.1-1), libavresample1 (>= 6:9.1-1), libavutil52 (>= 6:9.1-1), libbluray1 (>= 1:0.2.2), libc6 (>= 2.14), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.78), libdvdnav4 (>= 4.2.1-3), libdvdread4 (>= 4.1.3), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3), libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0), libgstreamer1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libgudev-1.0-0 (>= 146), libmkv0 (>= 0.6.5.1), libmp3lame0, libmpeg2-4, libnotify4 (>= 0.7.3), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libsamplerate0 (>= 0.1.7), libswscale2 (>= 6:9.1-1), libtheora0 (>= 1.0), libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.2), libvorbisenc2 (>= 1.1.2), libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 (>= 1.3.10), libx264-142
                              Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.6~)
                              Recommends: gstreamer1.0-libav, gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio | gstreamer1.0-alsa, gstreamer1.0-x
                              Conflicts: handbrake-gtk
                              Breaks: libdvdread4 (<< 4.2.0+20120521-3)
                              Download-Size: 701 kB
                              Homepage: http://www.handbrake.fr/
                              Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
                              Origin: Ubuntu
                              APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
                              Description: versatile DVD ripper and video transcoder (GTK GUI)
                               HandBrake is a versatile, easy-to-use tool for converting DVDs and other
                               videos into H.264, XViD, or OGG formatted media. It's particularly useful
                               for making videos that are compatible with portable video devices such as
                               the Apple iPod/iPhone or Sony PSP.
                              [COLOR=#ff0000] This version of handbrake has been modified for inclusion in Debian.
                               It does neither support audio encoding to AAC via faac nor MP4 format
                               muxing via libmp4v2, it falls back to the MKV format instead.[/COLOR]
                               This package contains the graphical variant, ghb.
                              and indeed the handbrake-gtk from the PPA will do m4v with ACC pass through

Code:
                              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ ls ~/Videos
                                Hp And The Chamber Of Secrets.mkv                   Music
                              [COLOR=#ff0000]Hp And The Chamber Of Secrets.m4v [/COLOR]                                 vlctest.mp4
                              the .mkv was done with the "handbrake 0.9.9" and the .m4v with the "handbrake-gtk 0.10.0 after I discovered it ,,,,,,,do purge the old one before upgrading to the PPA one .

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X