X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Font Folder

Hi,

I am thinking of downloading some fonts, primary to use in graphics programmes; although I might use them elsewhere.

I have found a site that provides many free fonts

I note on my machine that I have the following folder which I believe is designed to store the users' fonts:

Root/usr/local/share/fonts, currently empty.

However, the font site tell me to create a .fonts folder in /home.

My questions are: where should I install my fonts?
    Can I just move them into the folder?
    Can I put fonts of any extension in the folder?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

System Settings >> Font Management >> then click the Add button......

Comment

Thank you

Did you mean 'System Administration' - 'Font Management'?

When viewing the fonts I can see the font designation, but not the type of font, e.g. ttf.

I see the 'Add' button. I expect it puts them in /usr/share/fonts, and somehow decides which folder to use.

Should new fonts be put in 'All Fonts' or 'Personal Fonts'? At present, Personal Fonts is empty. All Fonts and System Fonts looks the same.

Why do people usually use the designation /usr, when it is Root/usr

Best wishes.

A
      Last edited by anonprivate; Nov 02, 2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

yes, its on the main page of System Settings. you don't have to specify where the fonts will go, the installer will handle that. They can go in /usr/blah/blah for system wide fonts, but user installed fonts would go into your /home folder. It installs them and sets them up so that they can be found and used. I think all the stock fonts are ttf, other types might show a different icon. I know the search box can filter by type, among other things.

"root" in the case of file hierarchy means "the topmost level", or simply "/" - it is a description, as opposed to a location, if that makes any sense.
        Using "/usr" is the correct terminology, with the slash at the front. "Root/usr" is not correct structurally

Comment

In Linux / is the Windows equivalent of C:, and /usr would be equivalent to C:\usr.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            yes, its on the main page of System Settings. you don't have to specify where the fonts will go, the installer will handle that. They can go in /usr/blah/blah for system wide fonts, but user installed fonts would go into your /home folder. It installs them and sets them up so that they can be found and used. I think all the stock fonts are ttf, other types might show a different icon. I know the search box can filter by type, among other things.

"root" in the case of file hierarchy means "the topmost level", or simply "/" - it is a description, as opposed to a location, if that makes any sense.
            Using "/usr" is the correct terminology, with the slash at the front. "Root/usr" is not correct structurally
            Just to be sure.

I can select 'Personal Fonts' and the installer will check.

Since I am installing the fonts, I can expect them to be located in /Home

Comment

Yes.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have now installed the fonts into Personal Fonts, they look to me to in the correct location.

After unzipping the various packages, most contained a readme. What surprised me is that they usually talked of Windows, rather than Linux. However, the fonts work.

Am I correct in thinking that fonts will work in any OS?

Thanks

Ps. Is there difference between System Fonts and the other fonts - look the same to me

Comment

The fonts will work as long as they're readable.

A "System" font is one installed at the system level - like in /usr/share/fonts. This makes it available to all users of the system vs. a "Personal" fonts which is only available to the person who installed it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X