L2 cache: 4096K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0,1

GPU
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 HDMI/DVI-I/VGA PCI-Express Graphics Card
    RAM 3 GB

1 hard drive 80gb
    1 external hard dive 1 TB
    1 dvd burner

I am pretty new to using Linux so I really don't have the right terms to use please forgive me
    when accessing my external drive the folders are slow to load video's buffer for about every 10 seconds when played
    to the point that it's noticeable and annoying when I hover over a folder or anything in the external drive I get a spinning icon
    as if it's taking time to find the media, is there something I can do to change this behavior?

Thanks

You didn't give any info about the external hard drive that I can see. Like; how is it connected, how is it mounted, what filesystem is on it, etc.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      You didn't give any info about the external hard drive that I can see. Like; how is it connected, how is it mounted, what filesystem is on it, etc.
      I have it set to mount automatically in the system setting its connected via usb not sure how to tell what file system though I'm assuming it's NTFS but I may be wrong though is there a way to find this in the terminal?

Comment

Yes. Type this:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes. Type this:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
          Ok it says NTFS but it says it not mounted how is the proper way to mount?

Comment

The "proper" way depends on how you're going to use it. If you want to be able to unplug it and take it with you, you'll want to use the device notifier or automount. The usual location for mounting removable media is /media/<your username>/<device label>.

I always recommend use a filesystem label because it helps keep your devices straight in your head.

However, your issue is speed so lets do a test. I'm going to assume your drive is sdb. Do this in a terminal:

sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdb

and post the results

Please Read Me

Comment

For comparison, my USB connected external drive, unmounted reports:

/dev/sdh:
              Timing cached reads: 8510 MB in 2.00 seconds = 4257.18 MB/sec
              Timing buffered disk reads: 90 MB in 3.04 seconds = 29.65 MB/sec

Please Read Me

Comment

The "proper" way depends on how you're going to use it. If you want to be able to unplug it and take it with you, you'll want to use the device notifier or automount. The usual location for mounting removable media is /media/<your username>/<device label>.

I always recommend use a filesystem label because it helps keep your devices straight in your head.

However, your issue is speed so lets do a test. I'm going to assume your drive is sdb. Do this in a terminal:

sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdb

and post the results
                Ok here is results

/dev/sdb:
                Timing cached reads: 8556 MB in 2.00 seconds = 4280.83 MB/sec
                Timing buffered disk reads: 2 MB in 4.55 seconds = 450.54 kB/sec

Comment

Wow, yeah that's slow. What's the specs on the device/drive?

Please Read Me

Comment

Wow, yeah that's slow. What's the specs on the device/drive?
                    I don't know where to look for that but it's a seagate 1 tb drive maybe couple years old should I consider replacement?

Comment

Maybe, but first do

lsusb

and post the results. If you can figure which line refers to the drive, just that line is fine, otherwise post them all. I could be the filesystem is in need of a cleanup. How full is the drive?

Please Read Me

Comment

Maybe, but first do

lsusb

and post the results. If you can figure which line refers to the drive, just that line is fine, otherwise post them all. I could be the filesystem is in need of a cleanup. How full is the drive?
                        Here is the readout

lsusb
                        Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                        Bus 007 Device 002: ID 413c:2105 Dell Computer Corp. Model L100 Keyboard
                        Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                        Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                        Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                        Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:081b Logitech, Inc. Webcam C310
                        Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bc2:a0a1 Seagate RSS LLC
                        Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                        Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                        Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
                        Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I'm not sure how to see how full it is but I know its not yet half full

I found how to find the amount of space used here it is
                        /dev/sdb1 932G 386G 547G 42% /media/lisa/Seagate1
                        Last edited by StaticL; Sep 28, 2014, 12:47 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

So your device is a "Backup Plus Desktop USB 3.0"

Shouldn't need replacing unless it's failing. Is your data backed up somewhere?

If you're not using this drive with windows, I'd reformat it to ext2 or 4 or even jfs. However, the drive speed test shows the problem doesn't lie with the filesystem.

Things that could cause the slowdown: bad cable, bad or not well supported USB port, low power, very large file sizes.

It should still be under warranty, Seagate usually gives 3 yrs. Does it make excessive noise? If you have smart tools installed (you should), run this:

sudo smartctl -H /dev/sdb

I would also test it on another computer, test it using a different USB port, and test it using a different USB cable. Also, check your power supply output voltage (got a voltage tester anywhere?).

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh and BTW the terminal command to see your drive sizes (for mounted devices only) is:

df -h

Please Read Me

Comment

So your device is a "Backup Plus Desktop USB 3.0"

Shouldn't need replacing unless it's failing. Is your data backed up somewhere?

If you're not using this drive with windows, I'd reformat it to ext2 or 4 or even jfs. However, the drive speed test shows the problem doesn't lie with the filesystem.

Things that could cause the slowdown: bad cable, bad or not well supported USB port, low power, very large file sizes.

It should still be under warranty, Seagate usually gives 3 yrs. Does it make excessive noise? If you have smart tools installed (you should), run this:

sudo smartctl -H /dev/sdb

I would also test it on another computer, test it using a different USB port, and test it using a different USB cable. Also, check your power supply output voltage (got a voltage tester anywhere?).
                              Yes I think that's the Make have to look at the box that's down the basement though

I'm not currently using it in Windows I have 3 machines all Linux but I never know if I may need to use it on a Windows Machine

I don't believe I have excessive sized files maybe some Movies hardly watch them though don't know if that matters, I will try to switch to a port
                              in the back its on a front port right now I wouldn't know how to tell if the cable is bad, pretty sure the PSU is 450watts the machine is a refurbished Dell
                              It doesn't make any noise as far as I can tell, I can try on my Ubuntu setup, and no I don't have access to a voltage tester.

I will try testing it from a port on the back of the machine 1st.

If you could tell me how to mount it properly maybe that would help?

Comment

Working...
                              X