Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with wireless connection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    Thanks so much for the reply, friend. It is difficult to wonder about something and not know its possibilities. I am not sure I understand Recovery Disk and Repair Disk. If I make a Recovery Disk of the Windows Vista Operating System, and copy the /home partition of the Kubuntu system, can I set up the TB drive with new partitions and install Windows Vista from the Recovery Disk and Kubuntu 14.04 fresh from a USB 3.0 thumb drive, then copy the /home data from the Kubuntu system damaged drive to the newly created /home of the TB drive. And will this give me my dual-boot salvaged with full use of the TB drive?
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    THAT will explain a lot of your problems, if not all of them!

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    I had to stop this process. I got an instruction from my laptop that my hard drive was having big problems, and I should copy it and replace it as soon as possible......
    THAT will explain a lot of your problems, if not all of them!

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    I had to stop this process. I got an instruction from my laptop that my hard drive was having big problems, and I should copy it and replace it as soon as possible. Not knowing when it would completely give out, I shut off the laptop, purchased a new HDD and am waiting for it to get here. If I can save both OS's and their data, I will return to the post, providing a failing HDD has not been the cause of my installation problems. Not knowing if that is possible, I still have to wait for the new drive to pursue resolving this post should the problems still exist after installing the new HDD. Thanks for your thoughtful effort, Jeff.

    Originally posted by jeffhutch.412 View Post
    I had the no wireless probem on my dell inspiron, I had to install the b-43 wireless drivers

    Leave a comment:


  • jeffhutch.412
    replied
    I had the no wireless probem on my dell inspiron, I had to install the b-43 wireless drivers

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    I knew that is what I should do, but the thought of reinstalling everything and configuring everything was my reason for trying an easier path. And I figured since my problems were so unusual and numerous they may have been fixed in the newer version. Right now, I would like to get back to Kubuntu 13.10; I am exhausted.

    New problems have arisen that make that impossible at the moment. I now have a BIOS that does not recognize my cd/dvd/usb so I am unable to install K13.10 from dvd or usb. Additionally, the restart process has bogged down my 8-core processor to snail speed. It takes several minutes before the boot screen appears. And that is a set of problems I have never had to deal with before. And the Kubuntu repair feature does not work either. I am fortunate I boot to my Windows 7 OS. It is connected to the Internet and is working about as well as a Window OS can, or I wouldn't be writing you right now. This experience has driven me bonkers

    Originally posted by mbohets View Post
    Don't use Kubuntu 14.10 yet, it is not officially released yet and in alpha development state, which means it is bound to be buggy and you will encounter problems.

    Download a fresh iso image of 14.04, do an integrity check on it and then make a clean install with it.

    Leave a comment:


  • mbohets
    replied
    Don't use Kubuntu 14.10 yet, it is not officially released yet and in alpha development state, which means it is bound to be buggy and you will encounter problems.

    Download a fresh iso image of 14.04, do an integrity check on it and then make a clean install with it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    My system seems to increase in problems with existing problems unreasonably difficult to repair. As a result, I am installing an upgrade to Kubuntu 14.10 right now. Thanks for your efforts to help.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    Iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.83.5.1-1.tgz-Ark
    File Action Settings Help
    New Open Add File Add Folder Xdelete Extract Preview

    Name Size Owner Group

    iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.83.5.1 3files johannes johannes
    LICENSE.iwlwifi-5000-ucode 2.0KiB johannes johannes
    README.1iwlwifi-5000-ucode 4.8KiB johannes johannes
    iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode 332.7KiB johannes johannes

    This is so embarrassing. When I then go to Dolphin/Documents and select the 'iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.83.5.1, I am asked to choose the application to open it. I then choose 'Ark' again and am provided a list of compression types. There is no tgz selection, but there is a Gzip and a Tar archive (gzip-compressed). I chose the Tar archive (gzip-compressed), because it was closest to the tgz identifier.

    I got this:

    Error Opening Archive – Ark

    Loading the Archive........


    failed with the following error: Could not open the archive.......


    libarchive cannot handle it.

    Gzip failed to open the folder too.

    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    You don't have to name it.

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5167[/ATTACH]
    and
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5168[/ATTACH]
    Now, use Dolphin to open the directory created by Ark when it untarred the folder and its files.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5169[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 13, 2014, 12:56 PM. Reason: tried another compression type

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    You don't have to name it.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	ark1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	642388
    and
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ark2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	642389
    Now, use Dolphin to open the directory created by Ark when it untarred the folder and its files.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ark3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	642390

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    I am sure I screwed up, but don't really know how to open a tgz file correctly. When I tried, I selected "Extract"; when it talked about naming a file, I didn't know what to name it or where to put it, but there was a file mentioned already, and although it looked grayed out, I just pressed enter, thinking that that would produce the preselected file. Next I attempted your code recommendation in the konsole. Now, I don't have an idea the name of that file, so I don't know how to find it, in case that was a proper process. By the way, when I clicked on what I thought was a preselected file, the computer said the file already existed and I copied-over, I think, 3 files before the process completed. Sorry to be wasting so much of your time, but will you help me either find that file or explain how to successfully open the tgz file, and tell me where to put it.

    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Either you did not untar the tgz file correctly, OR, you did not change to the directory that contains the iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode file.

    You could supply a path to the file, but explaining that would be as difficult as having you change to the directly. So, open Dolphin, navigate to the directory that you created when you untarred the tgz file. Then press F4. That will open a console within Dolphin which will be inside the directory where the file is located. In that Dolphin terminal box issue the command
    sudo cp iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode /lib/firmware

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Either you did not untar the tgz file correctly, OR, you did not change to the directory that contains the iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode file.

    You could supply a path to the file, but explaining that would be as difficult as having you change to the directly. So, open Dolphin, navigate to the directory that you created when you untarred the tgz file. Then press F4. That will open a console within Dolphin which will be inside the directory where the file is located. In that Dolphin terminal box issue the command
    sudo cp iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode /lib/firmware

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ sudo cp iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode /lib/firmware
    [sudo] password for steven:
    cp: cannot stat ‘iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode’: No such file or directory
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$

    Apparently I did something wrong. I believe I already downloaded that package. When I clicked on the link, the package opened immediately without downloading at all. I clicked on "Extract" then enter the command int he shell. What's above is what came out. When I extracted the file, it said the document already existed; I selected "Overwrite on each" until the process completed. I have never felt I understood the "Ark" extraction process.

    Thanks for coming to the rescue.

    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Download this compressed tar file:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...8.83.5.1-1.tgz
    Use Ark to uncompress it (all files including subdir) and then copy the file
    sudo cp iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode /lib/firmware
    Then you can do
    modprobe iwlwifi
    That should turn your wifi lamp on and the network-manager should start listing access points.

    Or, you can reboot and let the boot load figure out that it needs to load iwlwifi.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Download this compressed tar file:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...8.83.5.1-1.tgz
    Use Ark to uncompress it (all files including subdir) and then copy the file
    sudo cp iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode /lib/firmware
    Then you can do
    modprobe iwlwifi
    That should turn your wifi lamp on and the network-manager should start listing access points.

    Or, you can reboot and let the boot load figure out that it needs to load iwlwifi.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ iwlist scan
    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.


    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    OK looks good .......do a
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    post the output.

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    OK looks good .......do a
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    post the output.

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X