Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with wireless connection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    I contacted my ISP without success, then Dlink, my router Mfg., who does not support Linux wouldn't help. Some tech support gave me an estimate of $115 and guaranteed the fix. I live on a low fixed income and I would like to avoid such an expense, + try to learn something. I don't remember what else to do and googled stuff isn't beginner enough. System Settings doesn't give things I understand. I don't remember having to do much from past installations. I kind of feel like it was pretty much plug and play. Memory is terrible anymore though.

    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    let me see if I get this right ,,,,,,, when you boot vista you have a wireless connection ,,,,,, when you boot Kubuntu you do not .

    yes/no

    if yes ,,,,,,,,,what do you do to try and connect in Kubuntu ?

    just tell what you do to try and connect then we will go from their ,,,,,,

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • Teunis
    replied
    Indeed, first answer arochesters question as this should tell us what type of hardware your computer uses.

    With the correct hardware WIFI should be a breeze

    Leave a comment:


  • arochester
    replied
    What is the output, if you put into Konsole Terminal?: lspci |grep Network

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    let me see if I get this right ,,,,,,, when you boot vista you have a wireless connection ,,,,,, when you boot Kubuntu you do not .

    yes/no

    if yes ,,,,,,,,,what do you do to try and connect in Kubuntu ?

    just tell what you do to try and connect then we will go from their ,,,,,,

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    started a topic Need help with wireless connection?

    Need help with wireless connection?

    Dual boot Windows Vista/Kubuntu 14.04. Vista is wirelessly connected, but Kubuntu is not. The following was information found on the Vista connection:

    Connection Specific: DNSsuffix woh.rr.com
    Description Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    Physical Address 00-1E-65-23-99-08
    DHCP Enabled yes
    IPv4 Address 192.168.0.101
    IPv4 Sub Mask 255.255.255.0
    IPv4 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    IPv4 DHCP Server 192.168.0.101
    IPv4 DNS Server 192.168.0.101
    IPv4 WINS Server
    NetBIOS over TcpIp Enabled yes
    Link Local IPv6 Address fe80::a81b:a9e8:fb49:f49c%11

    Router IP Address: 192.168.0.101
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    &nbspevice Name: dlinkrouter
    Enable DNS Relay: yes
    Enable DHCP Server: yes
    DHCP IP Address Range: 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199
    DHCP Lease Time: 1440 minutes\
    Always Broadcast: X (Compatibility for some DHHCP Clients)
    Net BIOS Node type: X Broadcast only (use when WINS servers configured)
    Primary WINS IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary WINS IP Address: ` 0.0.0.0
    Hardware Address Assigned IP Host Name Expires
    bc:ee:7b:98:d8:ef 192.168.0.100 Yeshuah Desktop April 1, 2011
    00:1e:65:23:998 192.168.0.101 Yeshuah April 1, 2011
    68:9c:70:d0:20:f9 192.168.0.102 iPhone April 1, 2011

    Gateway Name: &nbspIR 601

    GENERAL

    Time 3/31/2011 6:35:35
    Firmware Version: 1.02NA 11/25/2010

    WAN

    Connection Type: &nbspHCP Client
    Cable Status: connected (not true right now)
    Network Status: connected (not true right now)
    Connection Up Time 5 days
    MAC Address: BC:EE:7B:988:EF
    IP Address: 98.28.147.122
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
    Default Gateway: 98:28:144:1
    Primary DNS Server 209.18.47.61
    Secondary DNS Server 209.18.47.62
    Advanced DNS: Disabled

    LAN

    MAC Address: 1c:7e:e5:3a:88:49
    IP Address: 192.168.0.10
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server: Enabled

    Wireless LAN

    Wireless Radio: Enabled
    MAC Address: 1c:7e:e5:3a:88:48
    Network Name (SSID) STEVEN-WIFI
    802.11 Mode: 11 bgn
    Channel Width: 20
    Channel: 1
    Security Mode: Auto (WPA or WPA2) - PSK

    Am I in the right place for help? Linux not supported by Mfg's. This stuff is about like trying to translate from Chinese print for me, and I do not speak Chinese. I guess I need a translator. Thanks anyone!


    The following are my System Settings>Network Managment Settings:

    Network Management Settings
    Show network speed in Kbytes/s
    Connection Details

    Available Details Details to Show

    Access Point (MAC) Type
    Driver Connection State
    IPv4 Gateway Connection Speed
    IPv6 Address System Name
    IPv6 Gateway MAC Address
    Mobile Allowed Mode IPv4 Address
    Mobile Device IMEI Access Point (SSID)
    Mobile Device IMSI Signal Strength
    Mobile Unlock Required Wireless Channel
    Wimax Bsid Wireless Security
    Wimax Nsp Mobile Operator
    Wimax NSP Type Mobile Signal Quality
    Wimax Signal Mobile Access Technology
    Wireless Band VPN Plugin
    Wireless Mode VPN Banner
    Notifications

    State Title
    [I] Active Connection State changed
    [I] Missing VPN plugin
    [I] VPN connection state changed

    [I] Device failed to activate
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 10, 2014, 11:33 AM. Reason: Add additional data

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X