Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with wireless connection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    That's quite OK, I am anxious to have this problem fixed; you are trying to help; I am grateful. I have been computing long enough to probably be able to fix a problem like this without help, but I really am not smart enough to join you guys in expertise. I really would enjoy being more like you; I like to help others too, and I am old and cannot work anymore, so I have the time, just not the electrons. You guys are so good to me and have such patience. I am glad you believe me and don't think I am just lazy. I am not. Wow, if I could ferret out my own solutions I would be so happy, I could eat a bug. I appreciate you, who contribute your expertise so much.
    Originally posted by Teunis View Post
    Sorry for my repeated question in post #15, while I typed it you posted #14 which answered the original question.

    Leave a comment:


  • Teunis
    replied
    Sorry for my repeated question in post #15, while I typed it you posted #14 which answered the original question.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4530/4570/545v]
    01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100

    04:00.0 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd MMC/SD Host Controller (rev 01)
    04:00.1 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5U2xx (R5U230 / R5U231 / R5U241) [Memory Stick Host Controller] (rev 01)
    04:00.3 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 PCIe IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 01)
    steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$


    This time it allowed me to copy and paste the data. Confusing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ inxi -n
    Network: Card-1: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi
    IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 00:1e:65:23:99:08
    Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
    IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1e:33:d1:e8:93
    steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$

    The other reply you made asked what I did to try to fix it. I did not know how, googled, then contacted my ISP and Router Mfg. neither support Linux. I read all the posts I could find about it, but could not understand what was posted. Then I contacted our forum for help.

    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    install inxi
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install inxi
    then do in a terminal
    Code:
    inxi -n
    you will get output like this
    Code:
    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ inxi -n
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: 2c:27:d7:cf:df:91
               Card-2: Ralink RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci 
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: c0:f8:da:a8:39:5e
    do your best to copy and paste it hear ,,,,,,,,take your time.

    this will show if your network is up (but waiting for a connection) and if their is a kernel driver in use/associated with the device .

    lspci -v would show us as well ,,,,BUT , YOU would half to sift through all the output to find the info ,,,,,I think this will be simpler for you.

    ?where in this thread did we get the Idea their was no dirver for the device or that it wasn't working?

    VINNY
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 11, 2014, 09:57 PM. Reason: I entered the wrong data and corrected the entry.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    install inxi
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install inxi
    then do in a terminal
    Code:
    inxi -n
    you will get output like this
    Code:
    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ inxi -n
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: 2c:27:d7:cf:df:91
               Card-2: Ralink RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci 
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: c0:f8:da:a8:39:5e
    do your best to copy and paste it hear ,,,,,,,,take your time.

    this will show if your network is up (but waiting for a connection) and if their is a kernel driver in use/associated with the device .

    lspci -v would show us as well ,,,,BUT , YOU would half to sift through all the output to find the info ,,,,,I think this will be simpler for you.

    ?where in this thread did we get the Idea their was no dirver for the device or that it wasn't working?

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • Teunis
    replied
    I'm afraid you are mixing up subjects because wireless (WIFI) nor Bluetooth has anything to do with wine.

    Please try to follow my previous advise and report any inconsistencies.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    The only Drivers in Driver Management are for my Video Card. VM was all that was offered on the Intel site.

    Originally posted by Teunis View Post
    I don't know why you are considering a virtual machine, it won't do anything for your missing wireless driver.
    Although installing the driver from the Intel site is possible it is anything but trivial.

    Therefore I repeat my advise:
    The proper way to go about it is to use the Driver Manager in System Setting, when started it will probably (hopefully!) tell you what is missing and ask you if you want to install it.

    I think you already used this utility to install the proprietary video driver.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    First I contacted my ISP, then Dlink. Neither support Linux. And support wanted $115 to make the connection. It is too expensive for me. I googled, but failed to understand the instructions. Vista connects; Kubuntu does not connect.

    It is important to get it working on Kubuntu; I really don't like Windows and only use it as a last resort.

    I am having similar problems with bluetooth which work automatically on Win7 and Vista but not on 14.04. I installed Wine and a wizzard opens, but I don't know what to put in the space for Host or Port or Username and Password. Nevertheless, if I can fill the wizzard out, I am confident it will work. I am installing info from a CD included in the Bluetooth 3.0 dongle I bought.

    I have been spoiled in the past, because Kubuntu developers did this kind of stuff for us. Windows was more time consuming for those tasks, but made it pretty easy too. 14.04 is not as easy for the inexperienced. Is it port 3000? (One mentioned in a Google post.) Do I use my pseudonym for Username and my choice of password? There is not a password confirmation on the form. Next they want Mount, Mount Image, and Umount, and finally the "Finish".

    I suspect these items are just easy to answer.

    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    let me see if I get this right ,,,,,,, when you boot vista you have a wireless connection ,,,,,, when you boot Kubuntu you do not .

    yes/no

    if yes ,,,,,,,,,what do you do to try and connect in Kubuntu ?

    just tell what you do to try and connect then we will go from their ,,,,,,

    VINNY
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 11, 2014, 03:03 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Teunis
    replied
    I don't know why you are considering a virtual machine, it won't do anything for your missing wireless driver.
    Although installing the driver from the Intel site is possible it is anything but trivial.

    Therefore I repeat my advise:
    The proper way to go about it is to use the Driver Manager in System Setting, when started it will probably (hopefully!) tell you what is missing and ask you if you want to install it.

    I think you already used this utility to install the proprietary video driver.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    I read all the entries, but it is really over my head. I don't know what to do with the information and don't really understand it. I suppose this is one of those things yet to be perfected for 13 and 14 Kubuntu users.

    I use my laptop in my kitchen. It makes lif easier for me, and I don't have the ability to hard wire the ethernet cable anymore, so perhaps I will just have to forget it. Thanks for trying to help.

    Originally posted by arochester View Post
    "I could not find iwlwifi on the Intel site. "

    Look at: http://askubuntu.com/questions/29809...wifi-link-5100

    Leave a comment:


  • arochester
    replied
    "I could not find iwlwifi on the Intel site. "

    Look at: http://askubuntu.com/questions/29809...wifi-link-5100

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    I could not find iwlwifi on the Intel site. I do not have a virtual machine, but attempted to find for wine. In the past I tried to make a virtual machine, but I am just not capable of getting it done, even with help. Found my limit on that issue. :dunce:

    Originally posted by Teunis View Post
    Your network controller should be supported by Linux and Kubuntu.
    After reading some messages on the net at least a few years ago it (a kernel module with the driver) was part of the Kernel or it could be loaded as a module.

    Time and again we'll see regressions where certain drivers are dropped from the kernel but I'd be surprised if this Intel card would no longer be supported.
    The one needed is called iwlwifi and is still available from the Intel site.

    The proper way to go about it is to use the Driver Manager in System Setting, when started it will probably (hopefully!) tell you what is missing and ask you if you want to install it.

    I think you already used this utility to install the proprietary video driver.

    Leave a comment:


  • Teunis
    replied
    Your network controller should be supported by Linux and Kubuntu.
    After reading some messages on the net at least a few years ago it (a kernel module with the driver) was part of the Kernel or it could be loaded as a module.

    Time and again we'll see regressions where certain drivers are dropped from the kernel but I'd be surprised if this Intel card would no longer be supported.
    The one needed is called iwlwifi and is still available from the Intel site.

    The proper way to go about it is to use the Driver Manager in System Setting, when started it will probably (hopefully!) tell you what is missing and ask you if you want to install it.

    I think you already used this utility to install the proprietary video driver.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    Strange, when I tried to cut and paste the terminal response, it would not paste and gave me some font configuration choices

    Originally posted by Teunis View Post
    Indeed, first answer arochesters question as this should tell us what type of hardware your computer uses.

    With the correct hardware WIFI should be a breeze

    Leave a comment:


  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100

    Originally posted by arochester View Post
    What is the output, if you put into Konsole Terminal?: lspci |grep Network

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X