This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with partitions

I am trying to make a partition to install Kubuntu. The automatic installer wants me to use the entire disk but that's not what I want.
    Attached is the current situation:
    /dev/sda1 is the Windows 7 partition and I don't want to touch it.
    /dev/sda2 is a recovery partition not to be touched
    /dev/sda3 is where I want to put Kubuntu
    /dev/sda4 I haven't figured out.

The problem I have is that the maximun number of primary partitions allowed is 4 and I already have 4. How should I edit /dev/sda3 in order to be able to install Kubuntu correctly? Do I have to turn /dev/sda3 into extended and then create a / partition and a swap partition?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Remove anything you want off of sda3 and then delete it.
    Recreate sda3 at the size you want your swap partition to be.
    Create an Extended partition as sda4.
    Create logical partitions in the Extended for your install and home.
    Install

It best to have a separate partition for your home and now is the time to do it. Keep 20GB or so for the install and the rest to /home. When you do the install, choose manual partitioning and assign the / and /home partitions. The swap will be auto-detected.

One thing: If the installer doesn't detect your partition table (happens rarely, but does happen) , it will only offer a "whole disk" install - DON"T DO THAT! It will wipe out your windows install. Just cancel the installer and come back here.

Please Read Me

Comment

Also - format the partitions when you create them, then during install, you don't need to do it again.

Please Read Me

Comment

I don't get it. I made /dev/sda3 as a linuxswap but then I have the unallocated space in whitch I can't create anything because if I click on the new button a warning tells me that I already have four primary partitions. Where am I doing wrong?
        Attached Files

Comment

It is pretty important to know what is on /dev/sda3. If you open your Windows 7 and then Computer directory, you should be able to identify the drive assignment for the 2.18GiB of data.

My suspicion is that it will show as C:\, but that may not be the case. If it is the storage area for your C:\, you should consider some new possibilities.

Me and everyone I have known who installed the Kubuntu Operating System as a dual-boot with a Window Operating System, usually makes Kubuntu their primary operating system, as soon as they have become familiar how to use a Linux OS. It might be something to consider before making any changes.

There is enough space on the partition that contains your Windows 7 Operating System to also contain your C:\ information, especially if you, like most Linux users, make your Windows application secondary to Kubuntu and basically a back-up in case of catastrophic system failure.

If this is the case, I would, while inside the Windows program, either shrink the 100GiB as much as Windows will permit, then create a partition to contain C:\ information, or move the data from /dev/sda3 partition into the C:\ storage area. 100GiB should be sufficient for Windows 7 and the saved C:\ data.

The then 183..07GiB partition will be empty and can be removed from the system leaving an unused space. Windows 7 will remain safe, the Recovery data will remain safe, and the data from /dev/sda3 will be safe and included to the Windows 7 Operating System area.

That would be my choice if attempting the installation of Kubuntu.

Once this decision is made, I would make the recommended changes.

If you have a copy of Gparted, I would restart the system with the Gparted CD in the Optical Drive. If you do not have a copy of Gparted, I would download and copy to CD. Then I would restart the system with the Gparted CD in the Optical Drive and open the program. Gparted is generally set up to work using English as default; answer the questions according to your needs until the Gparted program reveals your current partition information.

Notice that if you have more than one HDD in your system, each drive will be identified separately. If your systm that contained /dev/sda3 was a separate HDD, it will be apparent now.

Once you have identified the /dev/sda3 partition, you should delete the empty partition and apply the changes. The empty area will be identified as unused space. Since you deleted the partition, you have regained the needed ability to make a primary partition for the new installation.

Now close the Gparted application and place your Kubuntu liveCD in your Optical Drive. It will take a short time for the liveCD to open, because it will happen at Optical Drive speed, which may be slower than your normal operational speed.

Once you arrive at a screen that offers the ability to Try Kubuntu or Install Kubuntu, select Install Kubuntu. Follow the instructions which request information about Language, Keyboard, etc. until you come to a screen that asks you if you want to use the entire drive. BE CAREFUL HERE. If all your current data is on a partitioned HDD, by selecting use the entire drive, you would delete all the information on your system leaving only Kubuntu on your system after installation, so choose "Custom" for your installation.

When the next screen appears, it will show the used partitions currently on the computer. You must NOT select your Windows 7, Recovery, or Unknown partitions. Focus on the Unused 183.07GiB. Next, you are now going to create the necessary partitions for your new Kubuntu Operating System on those spaces.

Since you opened up the ability to create an additional primary partition, click on the Unused space and from the Menu select New. Here you will have the choice to check Primary for partition type, then select about 20GiB for the size of the partition, choose ext4 for the file type, and put "/" in the space for mount point minus the quote signs. This created the partition for the Kubuntu Operating System.

Next select New again from the menu. Highlight the Unused space and select a number of GiB of space that is equal to or greater than your RAM memory and enter that amount for the size of the partition. 2000Mib is usually sufficient. Under "File Type" select either "Linux swap" or "swap", one of those choices will be available and either work fine.

Next, choose the amount of space you want for storage for your Kubuntu Operating System and select the remaining Unused Space. My guess is that you won't want any more space used than you did for your Windows application, so it is OK to use that amount. When you make this selection you will probably have a remainder of unused space. At a future time, when you are certain you need more space for Window 7 or Kubuntu, you will have the unused space available. Make sure to choose extended if the option is offered and ext4 as the file type. Where it indicates a place to name the mount point, type in: /home You can name the partition anything you want, but /home is what your Kubuntu System prefers, so I highly recommend name it as I suggested.

No mater what happens to your Operating System in the future, even a catastrophic loss, you will not lose your data, unless the HDD breaks and is the reason for the loss.

Apply the changes and click on the box named Install. Depending upon the speed of your computer, your new Operating System will be installed. When your new system is installed,
          Restart the computer and remove the liveCD. A new window will appear offering the ability to open Windows 7 or Kubuntu, and possibly some recovery options. When your new OS opens, enterer your password and the system will open. Click on the Menu Icon and select System, look for an Icon that looks like a computer screen and is titled konsole. Right-click on that item and select add to favorites. From now on, when you click on the Kmenu Icon, a konsole will appear in your favorites window.

Click on the Konsole selection of your Kmenu choices and a konsole will appear onsreen. At the command prompt, type in the words: sudo apt-get updates and wait for your system to be updated. There will probably be a point where it will ask you if you want to install certain stuff, type in the letter y, and press the Enter Key; the updates will finish their installation. When the systems stops and the command prompt appears again, Type in the words: sudo apt-get upgrade and press Enter. The same action should take place concerning upgrading already installed applications. Should the permission to install appears, type in y and press Enter to complete the process. All installed applications are now their latest version. When the command prompt once again appears, type in: sudo dpkg --configure -a. This will automatically repair any damaged packages that were installed to this point.

We live in a time where being global, the laws for each nation are not the same. Since freedom is the main objective for Linux users and all things are free with relationship to the operating of the Linux systems, we generally install the global advantages not covered by our current laws.

If you choose, on the command line type in the following: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras. This will make your system operate pretty much like any and all places in the world. Consider this step seriously, because there may be US law to consider. I do not know anyone who does not enter this though. It will take quite a while, almost as long as the installation so far, but the benefits are huge. If the update stops and asks for permission to approve and continue, the tab key will highlight OK to continue the installation, Do so.

There are tweaks to improve your system after this, however, you will want to Google something like this: What do I do first after installing Kubuntu and press enter. you will be guided to additional capabilities.

When you finally have a running system, you will want to configure everything your your own taste and preference. Much is located in the option "System Settings" from your Kmenu offering.

You probably will need a little help here, but don't be afraid to increase your computers capabilities; it is something that makes your Linux system even further sophisticated and capable than your Windows 7 system. Help the new guy is where to ask your questions.

You no longer have to purchase an upgraded program for your computer. A constant flow of updates are sent regularly, which keeps each program on the cutting-edge; that includes security updates. I hope this is helpful for you. Cudos!
          Originally posted by verduz View Post
          I am trying to make a partition to install Kubuntu. The automatic installer wants me to use the entire disk but that's not what I want.
          Attached is the current situation:
          /dev/sda1 is the Windows 7 partition and I don't want to touch it.
          /dev/sda2 is a recovery partition not to be touched
          /dev/sda3 is where I want to put Kubuntu
          /dev/sda4 I haven't figured out.

The problem I have is that the maximun number of primary partitions allowed is 4 and I already have 4. How should I edit /dev/sda3 in order to be able to install Kubuntu correctly? Do I have to turn /dev/sda3 into extended and then create a / partition and a swap partition?

Thanks

Comment

I don't get it. I made /dev/sda3 as a linuxswap but then I have the unallocated space in whitch I can't create anything because if I click on the new button a warning tells me that I already have four primary partitions. Where am I doing wrong?
            You have to delete sda4 also, then remake it as the Extended partition.

Please Read Me

Comment

I didn't feel confident in deleting /dev/sda4 because I haven't figured out what this 16MB partition is for.
              I deleted /dev/sda3 and made it an extended partition with logical partitions for swap, / and /home (as the attached files shows). Everithing seems to work. Am I right or I'm missing something?
              Attached Files

Comment

That looks good.

I'm curious. What's the output of these commands:
                Code:
                sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

sudo parted -l /dev/sda

Comment

This is a limitation of MBR disks. You can only have 4 primary partions or 3 primary and 1 extended.

Your solutions as follows:

1. Create a single large extended partition in the empty space, and then logical partitions for swap, home and root.

2. Try to nuke that 16MB partition at the end. I have no idea what's in it. It's too small to be recovery, or EFI. Be very careful before destroying and try to read it's contents first.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                    1. Create a single large extended partition in the empty space, and then logical partitions for swap, home and root.
                    Which is what verduz ultimately did.

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                    2. Try to nuke that 16MB partition at the end. I have no idea what's in it. It's too small to be recovery, or EFI. Be very careful before destroying and try to read it's contents first.
                    Don't destroy it yet -- thus my suggestion in post #8. Let's start investigating.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      Don't destroy it yet -- thus my suggestion in post #8. Let's start investigating.
                      and leaving it there won't hurt anything either.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        That looks good.

I'm curious. What's the output of these commands:
                        Code:
                        sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

sudo parted -l /dev/sda
                        Here you are:
                        Code:
                        sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
                        Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
                        255 testine, 63 settori/tracce, 38913 cilindri, totale 625142448 settori
                        Unità = settori di 1 * 512 = 512 byte
                        Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
                        I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
                        Identificativo disco: 0xa8d6f410

Dispositivo Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
                        /dev/sda1            2048   209717247   104857600    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
                        /dev/sda2   *   209717248   241174527    15728640    b  W95 FAT32
                        /dev/sda3       241183845   625105214   191960685    5  Esteso
                        /dev/sda4       625108992   625141759       16384   ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
                        /dev/sda5       241183908   249585839     4200966   82  Linux swap / Solaris
                        /dev/sda6       249585903   312496379    31455238+  83  Linux
                        /dev/sda7       312496443   625105214   156304386   83  Linux

sudo parted -l /dev/sda
                        Modello: ATA ST9320325AS (scsi)
                        Disco /dev/sda: 320GB
                        Dimensione del settore (logica/fisica): 512B/512B
                        Tabella delle partizioni: msdos
                        Numero  Inizio  Fine   Dimensione  Tipo      File system     Flag
                         1      1049kB  107GB  107GB       primary   ntfs
                         2      107GB   123GB  16,1GB      primary   fat32           avvio
                         3      123GB   320GB  197GB       extended
                         5      123GB   128GB  4302MB      logical   linux-swap(v1)
                         6      128GB   160GB  32,2GB      logical   ext4
                         7      160GB   320GB  160GB       logical   ext4
                         4      320GB   320GB  16,8MB      primary

Comment

it seems to be a small 16MB fat32 partition, which is being misidentified as EFI somehow. It makes no sense to have EFI on an MBR disk, nor is the flag set properly.

Let's see what's in it:
                          sudo mount /dev/sda4 /mnt

cd /mnt

sudo ls -la

Comment

Can't mount /dev/sda4. It says it cannot find a vfat filesystem.

Comment

It would appear that there is no file system in the partition -- at least one that the previous commands could detect.

What's the output of
                              Code:
                              sudo file -s /dev/sda4

fsck -N /dev/sda4

Comment

Working...
                              X