X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black screen after trying to install Kubunt 13.10

Hi every one,
    I've got a toshiba satellite C70D-A-111, processor: AMD E1-2011 with Windows 8 preinstalled.

Since I can't not bear W8 I'd like to install Kubuntu 13.10 on it.

I've used unetbotin so as to create a bootable usb key.

I've disabled the secure boot, and also set the boot mode to CSM mode, such as explained in many dedicated forums, but each time the installation fails and I'm getting a black screen ...

If anyone has a clue I'll be glab to rid off that W8 ...

Thanks.

Welcome to our forum.

As with any modern Windows PC, the pre-installed Windows OS 'takes up' the entire HDD. Before you can install another OS, you have to use the installed Windows OS native drive space utility to 'shrink' the used space on the HDD to create unallocated space which will be uses to create additional partitions for installation of another OS.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok thanks a lot, it makes sense .

Comment

I've created a free 35 Gb ntfs partition from W8 but my usb kubuntu installation still fails ...

I'm still getting this damned black screen ...
        Maybe the system is unable to mount anything ....

Comment

Originally posted by zubique View Post
          I've created a free 35 Gb ntfs partition from W8 but my usb kubuntu installation still fails ...

I'm still getting this damned black screen ...
          Maybe the system is unable to mount anything ....
          the free 35 Gb NTFS partition will not do for Kubuntu ,,, it will need to be and ext3-4 formatted partition not NTFS .

but first things first ,,,,will your bootable USB stick boot to a live session ??

second you will need at least 2 partitions one for / (root) and one for swap the swap partition should be at least = to the amount of RAM the computer has ,,,,,,,most will want one for /home as well but is not absolutely necessary

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK, I do remember that a linux system requires at least a root and a swap partition but why my usb stick is unable to propose me to create them ?

And no my usb stick does not seem to be a live session ... it just proposes me
            - start kubuntu
            - something "for manufacturers"
            - check the volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Welcome to our forum.

As with any modern Windows PC, the pre-installed Windows OS 'takes up' the entire HDD. Before you can install another OS, you have to use the installed Windows OS native drive space utility to 'shrink' the used space on the HDD to create unallocated space which will be uses to create additional partitions for installation of another OS.
              Hi Snohog, i 've made a non allocated partition but I'm still unable to make a complete boot from my live usb key.
              I 've also tried with plop bootmanager, without any success ...

I don't know what to do now ...

Comment

Couple of misconceptions going on here:

1. Swap is not required, but sometimes needed. You can certainly install without it but you may run into problems later.
                2. While ntfs is a usable filesystem in the Linux world, it is not suitable for an install.

If you are going to ask for help, you're going to have to take the time to write out the errors you encounter and the steps you've taken that lead up to the errors and what solutions you've tried. Writing "something "for manufacturers"" simply isn't sufficient for anyone to help you or understand what is going on.

The information you've posted so far seems contradictory; you claim you can't install but you also say you're booting to a black screen.

At a minimum, you must shrink the windows partition, leave the free space unformatted, and select "Use free space" when attempting an install.

If you want more help, you're going to have to help us with information.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi every one,
                  it seems that video driver for my AMD Radeon HD8240 card is not well handled with ubuntu 13.10 .

I will try a new kernel or the unstable 14.1 where it's supposed to be managed and will let you know.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X