Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry - don't know how this happened! Most likely because am exhausted getting ready to move Sunday.
    I Guess I will have to reinstall kubuntu 13.10 from my CD on the same drive.?
    As you said earlier - "Why have a separate /boot partition at all? Copying the contents of sdb1 (which I have) into the /boot partition on sdb2 and running update-grub should leave you bootable without needing sdb1"

I am going to take your advice! Unless you suggest otherwise, I will use KDE Partition Manager to create the 2 primary partitions plus swap.

However, this isn't going to happen until next Tuesday or Wednesday, as I will be busy unpacking at my new place!

Thanks again for your superb help - I really appreciated that!

Comment

Since you're starting over:

You need a / partition of about 20GB for the install. You need a partition for /home for your personal files. If you decide to use a swap, it should be the same size as your RAM.

Please Read Me

Comment

CURRENT DRIVES AT JAN 11
        According to KDE Partition Manager:
        I can't believe this change from the screenshot I posted earlier this morning!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Drives_at_Jan11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	640609
        As long as I don't reboot, is it possible to edit this using KDE Partition Manager?
        Am guessing here, so please advise accordingly..
        Unmount all.
        1. Remove sda1 extended partition.
        2. Recreate sda1 as a primary ext2 partition /boot – 95 GiB (it already contains the boot files)
        3. Copy files from /dev/sda2 to /dev/sda1
        4. Delete /dev/sda2 & the extended partition
        5. Delete /dev/sda3 & the extended partition
        6. Create /dev/sda3 as ext4 /home – 95 GiB
        7. Copy previously saved /home files to /dev/sda3
        8. Remove /dev/sda4 & the extended partition.
        9. Recreate swap as a logical partition.
        10. Close Partition Manager.
        11. Reboot.

Question: Will fstab change accordingly?
        Have to complete this the above today as I have to pack the computer & all peripherals tonight,
        so hopefully will receive your response. If not, on next reboot, I would imagine that fstab will have its way. Will cross that bridge when I come to it!!
        Thanks again for your patience with an 80 years young guy!!

Comment

fstab has to be edited manually. It's only automatically created at install. After that, it requires manual intervention. You can use the UUIDs or the device name (e.g. /dev/sda3) in fstab.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X