This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start and Stop processes

Ok, here is the setup, I have a monthly download allowence from my ISP, however between 2-6 am, downloading is free. So I am trying to set up my system so that it only updates & upgrades between those hours. I thought I had it figured out, and installed Cron, however after setting up the command, I realized that, that command will only run those processed during those hours, it will not keep them from running any other time. So my question is, how do I stop update & upgrade from running except during the hours allowed by Cron?

also I followed directions from a thread I found through Google last night, for the same problem, I used the command they gave, but I just wanted to make sure it was the right command, or do I need to set it up differently, what I used was sudo apt-get update && upgrade.

Assuming you have Muon Package Manager installed, launch it and click on Settings > Configure Software Sources. On the Updates tab, under Automatic Updates, ensure that Only notify about available updates is checked and uncheck Check for updates. Click close and exit the program.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

if what you need to do is stop the checking for updates ,,, open Muon package manager and go to settings>configure software sources>updates tab and under automatic updates uncheck "check for updates" ,,,,,

the comand
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && upgrade
      dose just that ,,,,checks for updates and installs them .

I personaly use
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      nothing should be running this if you haven’t asked it to so just disabling automatic checking of updates should do it for you and have the cron job do the updates.

VINNY

EDIT: OOPS @snowhog beat me out once agin
      Last edited by vinnywright; Jan 05, 2014, 06:36 PM.
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you both for the quick reply, and vinnywright thanks for the better command for cron. Now the problem I have (other than the thread I'm about to post which is completely different) is that I try to open Muon Package Manager, the label comes up on the taskbar with the little circle going around, then it just quits. Nothing, it's like i closed it, it never makes it to the desktop. I guess I need to uninstall and reinstall.

Comment

Before you do anything drastic like re-install, try running Muon from the terminal and seeing what the errors are - if any show up.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have already uninstalled Muon package center, and reinstalled it, no such luck, its till does the same things. So I uninstalled again and installed synaptic package manager, which works perfectly so I guess this can be marked solved.

Comment

Originally posted by rk4262 View Post
              try to open Muon Package Manager, the label comes up on the taskbar with the little circle going around, then it just quits
              This happens to me consistently. Every.single.time. Of course, running Muon from a console window always works. Every.single.time.

Not that it matters, really, since I prefer apt-get and Aptitude for package management.

Comment

Working...
              X