This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot fully connect to Windows network

I am having trouble mounting a network drive. Kubuntu 13.04. I see the network using Smb4k, but after I add the Username and password it will not 'take.' asks again and again. I cannot open a drive on any of the other network PCs.
    It seems Kubuntu is expecting a different authentication than what I use on the PCs.
    Are there different credentials I should use?
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Try this (all as in a terminal);

sudo apt-get install winbind

kdesudo kate /etc/nsswitch.conf
    edit line: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
    to read: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] wins dns mdns4

kdesudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf
    edit line: ; name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
    to read: name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host

changes above are highlighted in bold.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Oct 25, 2013, 03:54 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

should he not be starting kate with "kdesudo" insted of just "sudo" ??

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Good catch, Vinny - post edited

Please Read Me

Comment

vinny
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks guys, for your help. I made the file changes as you directed, but I was never able to connect to the network drive; I was never able to give Kubuntu an acceptable logon to connect to my Windows network to establish a Samba Share, but I quit bothering with it. Synergy had enough of a connection to work. I use Synergy to connect 3 PCs, clients, to this Linux/Kubuntu as Synergy server. That part was working until the update.
            NOW
            after updating to 13.10 I cannot connect to the network at all. Synergy never connects. However this Kubuntu 13.10 DOES connect to the Internet through the network router.
            Sorry to be such a noob, I don't quite understand networking PC/Linux and could never use Linux if it wern't for the graphical interface.
            And help from you.
            EDITED- I found a solution to the immediate Synergy problem, it seems that since the update, the IP address changed. Didn't catch that first few rounds of troubleshooting.
            I would, however, still like to mount a Samba share.
            Last edited by GranPaSmurf; Nov 07, 2013, 06:54 AM. Reason: update- found solution for current problem
            Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Working...
            X