This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password: Samba will not accept admin password

When I try to open Samba, it prompts of admin pw. When I enter my password, it does not accept it.
    So yesterday, I changed my password and now Samba will not accept either new or old PW.
    1. I would like to revert to my original PW.
    2. I would like to open Samba

Ultimately I am trying to map to a network drive.
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

I'm curious, could you post your smb.conf (/etc/samba/smb.conf)? It sounds like you're pointing to pam/mysql/apache2/some other program.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Buddlespit,
      thanks for your response. I managed to get the network drive mapped and it is working fine.
      Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

If you could be so kind as to share what happened or what you did to fix it, you could be helping someone else in the future.
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I'm not trying to be flip, but I honestly don't remember. That was Tuesday, this is Thursday. It seems my distro did not have some needed packages. According to my Muon History tab, I installed smb4k a bit after I posted the question.
          I searched other forums and looked at possible answers, so...
          Sorry, I am, by habit, pretty good at posting solutions after I pose a question, but this time my focus was on a task.
          I promise to do better.

Comment

I think, however, I still have the same lack of understanding of user & su and such. My user and password is the only accounts I have on this machine.
            Just this morning I was trying to upgrade my LibreOffice to the newest version. They advised a full uninstall of earlier versions, so I went to Muon Software Center and found LibreOffice, then selected 'uninstall.' Muon asked for my password but didn't accept it.
            So I guess I don't understand why not. That is essentially the same question as the first post.
            If Muon asks for SU but my user account is not ROOT, then I still have to go to Konsole and do the deed by command prompt.

Comment

Do you have adm and sudo listed in your secondary groups?

Comment

Buddlespit, (or others if you are willing)
                are you still available to help with this again?
                I have installed/re-installed 13.10 I think I understand Linux/Kubuntu a bit more now. Thanks to the patient persistence of ohunluvr sticking with me for over a 100 posts!
                I still have the original issue of not being able to create a Samba share. I get to the dialogue but can't get past. I think I don't understand the credentials Samba is asking for.
                Ultimately I want to save files from my Kubuntu system to a networked drive I use and connect to in 2 Win 7 computers.
                Last edited by GranPaSmurf; Feb 21, 2014, 06:52 AM. Reason: update info

Comment

Is the networked samba drive on a window machine, linux machine, or some other connection?

When you attempt to connect to a samba server, the username and password requested are those of the server, not the client.

Please Read Me

Comment

got it, did it...and it worked! Thanks oshunluvr!

Comment

Wow, that was easy!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X