Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time user, trouble installing drivers for PCI-E soundcard.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time user, trouble installing drivers for PCI-E soundcard.

Hi,
    I am new to linux but am getting familar with the konsole and very much prefer it as an operating system. I am having a lot of trouble installing drivers for my sound card, an EMU-0404 PCI. I have been following the guide on the alsa-project wiki without success, and fear I don't understand enough to diagnose my errors. This is the guide I am following with the vendor list here saying the correct driver is a CA0102?

When I run ./configure --with-sequencer=yes --with-cards=CA0102 &&make
    I get the error

checking for kernel version... The file /lib/modules/3.8.0-19-generic/build/include/linux/version.h does not exist.
    Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution

I have no idea where I should be pointing the target directory to, I have searched for version.h and it appears in multiple places, the ones I did try did not work...
    I'm not even sure I am going about this the right way, if anyone could help it would be very much appreciated! Currently I am using onboard sound (despite that it keeps trying to switch to my nvidia gfx card as primary sound card??) which is fine but I am getting many crashes and I think it might have to do with my messing around trying to install this.

Even if someone could help me to reset my kernel away from whatever panic it currently is in (I picture it cowering in the corner at my obtuse commands) I would be very grateful. I am fine using onboard sound instead but the crashes I am currently getting (especially with music playing applications) are quite a pest.

Muonix.

Personally, I don't think I'd start with a new installation and new to Linux and then try and compile non-ubuntu drivers on the first day - but it's your system.

As far as the missing source - it's not installed by default. Simply open Muon and install the source package that matches the kernel version of your image.

You might try searching for your card model and "Ubuntu" on the internet to see what comes up. You might find an easier solution.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X