• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I change fstab?

How do I change fstab?
    Using kubuntu 12.10
    My Current fstab:

bumpy@bumpyputer:/$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=ae093bc1-521a-4231-a951-a65716669d31 / ext4
    errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /boot was on /dev/sdb6 during installation
    UUID=af8ef334-ac06-4e3b-beca-c215aaaf5a7f /boot ext4 defaults
    0 2
    # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
    UUID=1843ed52-96d5-4b9a-9af0-600caf308ee3 none swap sw
    0 0
    cat: 5: No such file or directory

Current /dev/sdb
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 2048 59961343 29979648 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 59963390 976771071 458403841 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 959084544 976771071 8843264 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdb6 59963392 939552767 439794688 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb7 939554816 959082495 9763840 83 Linux
    Note: /dev/sdb7 is where I want to add PMagic iso file

THIS IS WHAT I WANT FSTAB TO END UP WITH:
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options>
    <dump> <pass>
    UUID="ae093bc1-521a-4231-a951-a65716669d31" / ext4 ? 0
    UUID="af8ef334-ac06-4e3b-beca-c215aaaf5a7f" /boot ext4 defaults 0
    UUID="1843ed52-96d5-4b9a-9af0-600caf308ee3" none swap sw 0
    UUID="20f7ed08-7c9e-474b-b709-64f5211bbd3b" / ext3 ? ?
    (what should above ? be?)?

Question: Can the last partition have a mount point ? I need to mount it inorder
    to run PMagic.
    Sure would appreciate help on this as it totally has me baffled!

First a point about posting: this post is a bit difficult to A. Read and B. Understand.

A. Enclose quoted text either using the Quote option (cartoon balloon icon) or the Code option (pound sign icon). This will serve to make your post way more legible.

B. I'm not sure I understand what your request is because you placed two Question marks in the dump-frequency and pass-number locations and one in the mount options location. I will assume you don't understand fstab and you really want to control the order of mounting, not the frequency and order of check-disk operations. You might want to read this.

I believe mount commands are issued in the order received but will execute as-needed or when ready. The system does not "hold" mounting the next line in fstab. In other words, if mount 2 took a few seconds to complete for some reason, mount 3 might actually mount first.

If you need absolute control over the order of mounting, set the non-critical mounts to "noauto" and mount them in rc.local one at a time. Don't forget that fstab is parsed very early in the boot process and "/" and "/boot" are needed before the others so you can boot.

In case you do want to just fill in the question marks:
    I presume UUID 20f7ed08-7c9e-474b-b709-64f5211bbd3b is /dev/sdb7 so you want either "0 0" or "0 2" there. "0 0" means no check and "0 2" means check after root is checked. No need to change the options on "/" as the remount on errors won't impact order.

Anyway, none of this will boot to an iso file on /dev/sdb7 so why don't you explain what exactly you're trying to do?

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the tip re Quote & Quote options. I did not know that :cool:
      I was under the impression from the GParted web site
      (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/displ...anual#gparted- live-copying-to-hard-drive-partition
      - Copying to Hard Drive Partition)
      that I could run GParted from an empty partition on my kubuntu 12-10 drive. They
      gave instructions on how to do this including opening the GParted iso file, then
      recreating the iso in a directory on my target partition.

fstab does not recognise this partition, hence I wanted to add it to fstab.
      How do I do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
        Thanks for the tip re Quote & Quote options. I did not know that :cool:
        I was under the impression from the GParted web site
        (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/displ...anual#gparted- live-copying-to-hard-drive-partition
        - Copying to Hard Drive Partition)
        that I could run GParted from an empty partition on my kubuntu 12-10 drive. They
        gave instructions on how to do this including opening the GParted iso file, then
        recreating the iso in a directory on my target partition.

fstab does not recognise this partition, hence I wanted to add it to fstab.
        How do I do this?
        is this the how to you are referring to ?
        http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livehd.php

if so you are not going about it correctly,,, and you do not need to add it to fstab ,,,,,,,if not the page you were reading then link it hear!!

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No doubt their instructions are correct. You can also program grub to boot an iso file, but I don't know if that would serve your purpose. As far as adding something to fstab, you need to have root privilege to edit it. You also need to create a mount point for it.

Simply, open a terminal, then:

sudo mkdir /mnt/sdb7
          kdesudo kate /etc/fstab

then add your line to fstab:

/dev/sdb7 /mnt/sdb7 ext3 defaults 0 0

Please Read Me

Comment

After you have edited your fstab file, you can then run
            Code:
            sudo mount -a
            to reload fstab and see if you have any errors.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will report my progress later.

Comment

Code:
                bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ sudo mount -a
                [mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab
                Code:
                # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                #
                # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
                # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
                # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
                #
                # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
                # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
                UUID=ae093bc1-521a-4231-a951-a65716669d31 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
                # /boot was on /dev/sdb6 during installation
                UUID=af8ef334-ac06-4e3b-beca-c215aaaf5a7f /boot           ext4    defaults        0       2
                # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
                UUID=1843ed52-96d5-4b9a-9af0-600caf308ee3 none            swap    sw              0       3
                 /dev/sdb7 /mnt/sdb7 ext3 defaults 0 0
                Code:
                bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
                QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                Suggestions?

Comment

Yes, we forgot to mention that fstab should always end with a blank line. In kate, just move your cursor to the end of the last line, press enter to start a new line, then save the file. Then run
                  Code:
                  sudo mount -a
                  again.

Comment

Code:
                    bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
                    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
                    bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ sudo mount -a
                    [mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab
                    bumpy@bumpyputer:~$
                    Maybe QDBusConnection error is interfering?

Comment

you dont get all this
                      Code:
                      vinny@vinny-HP-G62:~$ kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
                      Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
                      kbuildsycoca4 running...
                      Module  "resources" is registered 
                      QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                      QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
                      Module  "activities" is registered 
                      Module  "features" is registered 
                      This is the current thread id for Activities 2973760320 QThread(0xa129d90) 
                      These are the disabled plugins: ("activitymanager_plugin_dummy", "activitymanager_plugin_nepomuk") 
                      Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_globalshortcuts" 
                      This is the current thread id for Activities 3023263552 QThread(0x9fffdc8) 
                      Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_slc" 
                      Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_virtualdesktopswitch" 
                      VirtualDesktopSwitch::init 
                      Module  "org.kde.ActivityManager.VirtualDesktopSwitch" is registered 
                      Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_activityranking" 
                      running in thread ActivityRanking 
                      Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_sqlite" 
                      Module  "org.kde.ActivityManager.Resources.Scoring" is registered 
                      QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.kde/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc
                      ?

it works just fine any way these are not errors you need to worry about , that is if you are getting the password box and kate is actually opening .

if you are and it is once again place the cursor at the end of the last line ,,,,or under it and press enter 2-3 times this time then save and close .

he he I can remember when an improper EOF (end of file) in fstab would keep you from booting up at all ,,,,,,I got in the habit of doing 2-3 extra enters (lines) whenever I would mess with fstab ,,,,,,,LOL

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        he he I can remember when an improper EOF (end of file) in fstab would keep you from booting up at all ,,,,,,I got in the habit of doing 2-3 extra enters (lines) whenever I would mess with fstab ,,,,,,,LOL VINNY
                        Yes, old habits die hard. I always add an empty line to any system configuration text file I edit, even though I know that in most cases it is not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                          Yes, old habits die hard. I always add an empty line to any system configuration text file I edit, even though I know that in most cases it is not necessary.
                          LOL yup me 2

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

+1

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                            X