This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong partition type grub in rescue mode

My Kubuntu installation is on a logical partition inside my partition 3 which has been flagged as a compaq whatever type (hex value 12) so its now inaccessible to grub2 and I can<t perform most fixes I found around the web. I did not write on it and am working from a Kubuntu Precise start-up USB stick. I want to try changing the hex value of that partition type to something like 05 which is a DOS extended partition to see if data is recoverable. Is there a software that I can install to just do that ? Meaning trying out various hex values and rebooting to see if the partition table will be sufficiently fixed for grub2 to start working again ? In this state, I can't even use the commands to boot anything. Another way would be if someone knows the actual commands for booting the windows install on partition 2 so I can do it from there since I have the tools.

Generally, linux is type 83.

If you boot to a LiveUSB, open a terminal, run sudo fdisk /dev/sdXX (sub your drive letter and partition number for XX), then "m" will get you a list of commands - one of which is "l" (lowercase L). It lists all available partition type hex codes.

As far as the manual commands to boot the windows partition - I'm not at a linux machine at the moment, but i think it's:

insmod ntfs
    set root=(hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW: If the partition isn't easily recoverable, it will take less time to re-install. If you have personal data on that partition worth saving, by all means try and recover it.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm trying to boot to the windows partition from the grub version that's on my USB stick since the one on my hard drive is screwed. Problem is ls returns '(memdisk) (hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0, msdos1) (hd1) (hd1, msdos1) (hd2) (hd2,msdos3) (hd2, msdos2) (hd2, msdos1) (hd3). This makes little sense to me since I have only 1 harddrive and one usb stick. Using your commands, they all return invalid EFI path (memdisk returns that it's not a valid root location). Grub rescue on my hd sees an hd0 with 3 partition (must be hd2 in grub from my usb stick) and hd1 with one partition. All partitions are labelled msdosx. I'll try using the grub 2 manual to boot something since even grub on the stick fails to boot on a black screen. I can only boot on the stick from an override in my bios. I have to manually override everytime

Comment

Your problem having to enter the BIOS every time sounds weird.
          Normally you only once need to set the BIOS to boot from USB before anything else, of course you have to save this setting before leaving the BIOS mode!

An other option to get Windows running again is to restore the mbr of the hard disk by means of a Windows boot CD, something I recently had to do because I accidentally installed Grub on the wrong partition.

Comment

The chainload command will boot USB from grub too - without a BIOS change.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X