This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE graphic effects break after setting up dual monitors in Kubuntu 12.04

Hi, I am more of a returning Kubuntu user after having not used KDE or Kubuntu much since 2009/2010, but its so different I am a babe in the woods. I decided to switch back because one of the few things I missed from Windows was added as a default option last year and I didnt notice (I liked aero-peek, which is close to KDE's icon tasks).

Anyway, I installed all updates as soon as I clean installed including the NVidia-current driver. Before this, my dual monitor setup wasnt working. But after getting the dual monitor set up working, I no longer have graphic effects (the "glass" taskbar, etc). If I go into system settings/desktop effects, I get :

Desktio effects are not available on this system due to the following technical issues:

Required X extensions (XComposite and XDamaage) are not available

I searched on the internet for these errors combined with the way Kubuntu was set up and they seem to have everything to do with dual monitors. The trouble is none of the posts I found in my search had a fix that I could find.

Has anyone else run into this problem and been able to fix it? I dont know if it did this in the 9.xx cycle I last used Kubuntu on because I wasnt running dual monitors yet. I have to run two monitors for my work, but Id really like the effects to work as they should.
    Last edited by robertdebrus; Oct 01, 2012, 10:08 PM.

Without telling us how you've set up your monitors and driver, we're not going to be much help.

Is the nvidia driver active? Are you using twinview? What nvidia card do you have?

I get best results using an xorg.conf file.

Dual monitors for 9 years...

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry, I should have given more detail.

I am using the current Nvidia driver on a Geforce 460 GTX. I have a 23 inch HP w2338h in HDMI as my main monitor, with a smaller Samsung 920bw as my dual to my left hand side connecting via DVI.

I didnt think this error had anything to do with my monitors per se but were related in some manner to KDE's settings/drivers?

Comment

From what I have read, the problem seems to have an issue with Nvidia's Xinerama, which I guess breaks the composting. But even after having Xinerama off and playing around with different configurations I havent found anything that works.

Comment

When you say "playing around with configurations" what exactly are you doing? The point I was trying to make earlier is you're the only one I've seen report this issue. If you want help trouble shooting this problem you're going to have to deliver some information about your system, post some log and config files, and explain in detail what exactly you've tried to fix the problem. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for someone who has the exact same issue and has already solved it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Which log and config files?

The configurations I was 'playing' with are the different monitor settings in the Nvidia settings.

Comment

A good place to start is /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Do you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

Please Read Me

Comment

I fine soome thread's maeby usefull to solve your problem..

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-Kubuntu-12-04

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

Comment

Working...
                X