Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to move icons on the panel to the left & how to get system tray back to right!!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specifically, Icekool was banned for: Insulting an Administrator with profanity.

We are actually a reasonably tolerant forum, but we do have limits, and when they are reached/exceeded, we act.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      We are actually a reasonably tolerant forum, but we do have limits, and when they are reached/exceeded, we act.
      To emphasize Snowhog's comment...the only outright banning (and it's immediate) is for spam. Anything else -- we discuss it amongst ourselves.

Originally posted by yrh79 View Post
      I also think this existing behavior *SUCKS*. I don't understand why you guys **BANNED** someone that gave you such a good suggestion
      Members of the Kubuntu Council observe and/or participate in this forum. I'm sure that all those involved in the development of Kubuntu welcome constructive feedback. And I'm sure they also dislike destructive criticism. Remember, we all benefit greatly from the work they do, and these benefits come to us free of charge. Let's all try to keep that in mind.

Comment

Well, ok, my appologies. My words might have hurt you and those people that providing this free of charge. Yet free of charge does not mean you should not provide things that let people feel comfortable. This, indeeded, is NOT a feature request but simply a suggestion, to make things better. If you think this is NOT a good suggestion you can simply ignore it. But I have the right to think and say the currect design a bad one. I am not comparing it to M$ XP. I won't use Windows if people around me do not use it and this is exactly why I appear here to say something. Yet please think about why Windows occupied so many desktops. Windows is successful not just because people think it is clean and beautiful, but also it works in a way that people think it should do.

Comment

Windows is successful not just because people think it is clean and beautiful, but also it works in a way that people think it should do.
          No, its successful because Microsoft force it down the throats of all manufactures and people are just "use" to it. It does not mean it is well designed or even efficiently and copying them just because everyone is use to the way it works leads no room for innovation.

The reason that you cannot move the widget when the panel settings aren't open (i believe at least) is to stop people accidently moving them about during normal desktop use and considering you only really need to move them when setting it up I see no reason not to do it the way they have. The only thing they could do it make it more clear that is how it works, though I am not sure how.

The moving the widgets up and down snapping back is a bug that is being improved on in each version of kde and the key is to only let go of the widget when the position marker moves (the darker shadow on the panel) as that indicates where the widget can be dropped.
          kde 4.8 doesn't really have that problem anymore so I would suggest you upgrade to that version or try a clean config (new user) to see if they suffer from the same problem.

Comment

but also it works in a way that people think it should do
            Maybe, but these are the same people that think it's acceptable to run a virus checker constantly and that rebooting four or five times a day is a normal function of a computer, not to mention the money they have to spend for the privlege of seeing the BSOD.

IMO, almost any linux distro with any Desktop functions better than any version of Windows. But then again, I don't base my opinion about OS function on something utimately as inconsequenial as having to "Unlock Widgets" to move an icon and paying attention to the screen image under the mouse pointer before I let go of it. I'm not disagreeing that the panel re-arraignment problems exist - clearly they do. But that just doesn't qualify as the same level of severity as the dozens of complaints I have daily with Windoze.

I am forced to use windows at work every day and it's a fair measure to say I lose two of every eight hours of work due to crashes, updates, reboots, endless spinning hourglasses (does anyone know what it's doing?) and so on. I wonder if I convinced our company to switch totally to linux if I could add two hours to my lunch! Somehow, I doubt it!

Please Read Me

Comment

Windows is successful not just because people think it is clean and beautiful, but also it works in a way that people think it should do.
              This is what Redmond (Microsoft) would just love everyone to believe. But that is not exactly true. Microsoft worked very hard convincing people that what they had is what they wanted -- what they needed. And they did a very good job of doing so. No one can deny that their marketing of Windows (to include the coercive dealings with hardware/software manufacturers) hasn't been successful.

Comment

This, indeeded, is NOT a feature request but simply a suggestion, to make things better.
                Suggestions are always welcome (even if a suggestion doesn't get implemented it might give the developers new ideas).

However, this forum is not the best place for development suggestions (although it's perfectly fine to ask what other people here think of a suggestion), if you think a feature of KDE could be improved in some way, the best place to bring forth your suggestions is http://bugs.kde.org (where you can file a wishlist item).
                This way your suggestion will get to the eyes of the developers, who might (or might not) implement your suggestions based on whether they think your suggestions will improve user experience.

Comment

but also it works in a way that people think it should do.
                  Or, rather, it works in the way people are accustomed to. Not all Windows knowledge and experience directly translates to Linux plus a desktop environment. A certain amount of re-learning is required, especially if you want to delve into the inner workings of the operating system. I'd wager that people with no prior Windows experience would find Linux/KDE easier to learn than those steeped in years of the Microsoft way.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Microsoft worked very hard convincing people that what they had is what they wanted -- what they needed.
                  Until the next version comes along!

Comment

Of course, the "...what they had..." should have the emphasis on 'they', as in Microsoft.

Comment

Working...
                    X