This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First build...hoping to run Kubuntu

Ive been wanting to run Kubuntu for a while now but havent had the computing power to do so (been stuck with 256 RAM ). Ive now got the money to build a pc and cant wait to try out KDE! Its my first time building a pc, so I just want to make sure Ive got an acceptable setup. Any problems with compatibility?

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Pro3
    CPU: Core i5 2400 3.1 GHZ
    Video card: Palit GeForce GTX 550 Ti Sonic
    CPU Cooler: Scythe SCMG-3000
    CD/DVD: LG GH24NS7
    PSU: Kuroutoshikou KRPW-SS600W

Still havent decided on a hard drive or RAM...
    Thanks!

Re: First build...hoping to run Kubuntu

There isn't much newer hardware these days not supported. Do some searching on your exact mobo and chipset to be sure. The DVD player would be a good thing to check out as well.

Since it's your first build, the one component often overlooked is the power supply. 600 watts sounds like enough but might not be if you're hoping to have a multi-drive RAID or dual video cards in the future.

Newegg.com has a power supply calculator on their site that's worth a look-see.

I had a 750w P/S on my system and started getting restarts whenever I did anything power-hungry like transcoding video. Turned out it was summer (therefore hotter and less power efficient) I had 5 had drives and dual video cards and had increased my RAM to 8GB recently and had pushed my power usage over what the PS could supply.

Currently, I'm happily humming along with my new 1000w unit.

Regarding RAM I'd start at 4GB if you can afford it. Since you have a Z68 chipset and a nice processor, no point in ham-stringing it with too little RAM.

Hard drives are real expensive right now. Unless you need the storage right away, I suggest not getting one at all and instead buy a real fast but small SSD. I like the Mushkin Enhanced Deluxe Cronos drives at $135 for 60GB. It's SATA III so it'll be fast as heck and 60GB is more than enough for a full linux install. You can always add a hard drive later for media storage when the rices go back to normal.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      "I had 5 had drives"..."the rices go back to normal."
      You been into your wine again?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk
        PSU: Kuroutoshikou KRPW-SS600W
        Hi...

Welcome to the forums

I've not heard of this brand before but when it comes to PSU's, it's really best not to go cheap or with a lot of brands out there. Here is a list of PSU's that are recommended (and not recommended.) My preference is for PC Power & Cooling.

Also, get as much RAM as you can afford (or as much as the motherboard will hold.) It will help for future OS upgrades.

Best wishes with your first build. Write back if you have any further questions.

Regards....
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Originally posted by oshunluvr
          "I had 5 had drives"..."the rices go back to normal."
          You been into your wine again?
          Shoot, caught me again!

Please Read Me

Comment

And its done! Heres what I went with:
            Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Pro3
            CPU: Core i5 2400 3.1 GHZ
            Video card: Palit GeForce GTX 550 Ti Sonic
            CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 SCMG-3000
            CD/DVD: LG GH24NS7
            PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650
            HDD: WD 500 GB
            4 GB RAM

I took the advice about the PSU and went with the recommended Antec Earthwatts. No hiccups so far...and holy crap is it fast! Sure beats the 10 year old Sony Viao Ive been stuck with for the last few years.

Running Kubuntu...wow. Beautiful OS guys. Still figuring it all out, but so far I have to say that Im extremely impressed.
            Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

And on Christmas Day no less.

Enjoy your shinny new rig and wonderful OS. 8)
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk
                Thanks for the help guys!
                You're welcome, glad we could help.

Regards...
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  And on Christmas Day no less.

Enjoy your shinny new rig and wonderful OS. 8)
                  I guess we wont see him for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                  X