Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved]I messed up on the install of Logical Partitions...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]I messed up on the install of Logical Partitions...

I messed up on my installation of 11.04 and did not remember to properly 'mount' [I think that is the correct term] my Logical Partitions. I figure I might have three options to correct this but really need advice on which is truly the best option.

1] use the "Partition Manager under the System Administration in system settings"

2] use my G-Parted Live CD

3]Do a new 'Fresh' Install .

I am not familiar with the partition manager in Kubuntu, so I am not sure what it can and cannot do. This is the output of my fdsk-list

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 30395 244140032 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 30395 31854 11718656 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda3 31854 182402 1209277441 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 31854 78417 374022144 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 78417 151363 585936896 83 Linux
    /dev/sda7 151363 182402 249316352 83 Linux

I wanted an meant to set up sda5,6 and 7 as Documents, Pictures and Music respectively. Obviously I muffed that up by getting in a rush to get my new system up.
    I think that I should have mounted the like this example; /home/[username]/documents but I am not positive on that either.

As always thank you in advance for your help. I am less than a week into this system build so re-installation might be best but I just do not know and need eyes on my scheme for the mount regardless of which method I use.
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Re: I messed up on the install of Logical Partitions...

take a deep breath and relax .......you are ok I think .......as long as you system is up and good you can mount anything any ware .

first show us a output from
    Code:
    df -h
    then we will go from their ........the df -h is just to see wear / is now

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
      take a deep breath and relax .......you are ok I think .......as long as you system is up and good you can mount anything any ware .

first show us a output from
      Code:
      df -h
      then we will go from their ........the df -h is just to see wear / is now

VINNY
      oceans-n-peril@oceans-n-peril:~$ sudo df -h
      Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
      /dev/sda1 230G 4.0G 214G 2% /
      none 7.9G 696K 7.9G 1% /dev
      none 7.9G 2.7M 7.9G 1% /dev/shm
      none 7.9G 92K 7.9G 1% /var/run
      none 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /var/lock
      /dev/sda5 352G 479M 333G 1% /home
      /dev/sda7 235G 188M 222G 1% /home/music
      /dev/sda6 551G 198M 522G 1% /home/pictures

The sda5 was suppose to have been documents.
      Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

so all your missing is Documents ?

if so I would leave well enuff alone ..........but that leaves / with more room than it will ever knead.

are you willing to start from scratch and repartition a little different?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

are you willing to start from scratch and repartition a little different?

VINNY
          The simple answer is yes.

I have less than 7 days on this new system so I figure if I'm going to do a re-installation it is better now than later. I have purposely not install or uploaded any pictures or music as of yet for that general reason. I do have one concern though; if I do an new 'fresh' install with the live CD will that take my video card drivers back to the original settings [I think so, not sure] and if so what might you know about AMD/ATI Catalyst. I know that adds to the thread but I figure if I'm going to do this might as well try fixing another problem if possible at the same time.

I do remember trying to set up sda4 as extended but then the cd would not let me set up the logical partitions of 5,6,7.

Also see my Profile if you want to e-mail, I have unlimited to USA and Canada

Comment

Yes, your video drivers will be wiped by a re-install, but doing a full re-install to change your mount points is like using a bull-dozer to drive a nail. Why not just change the mounts to what you want?

If you wish to re-partition - you still can and easily, with the exception of your install partition which you will have to re-size or move using a Gparted bootable CD.

Just tell us how you want to have your paritions/mounts and we'll help you out...

Please Read Me

Comment

well I have NO expereance with ATI stuff as I have no boxes with it

for your partitions though....................

first / root dose not kneed to be larger than 15-20bGig's and you may never use all that
              my 1 box that was my mane box for a long time has a 20 Gig / and with 2549 packages installed it's at 9.5Gig's used ....52%

the /home partition should be large IF your going to Keep all your data in it........but you can link all the /home folders like Music,Documents,Pictures to a large storage partition if you like. This can be even after the install as long as the storage partition is their to link to.

And the best reason to keep /home on it's own partition is that if you ever bork (mess up) the system you can reinstall Kubuntu's / root and Keep the old /home intact with all your user settings and data.

hear is my newest setup

vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ sudo parted
              [sudo] password for vinny:
              GNU Parted 2.3
              Using /dev/sda
              Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
              (parted) print all
              Model: ATA WDC WD5000BEVT-6 (scsi)
              Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
              Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
              Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
              1 32.3kB 4195MB 4195MB primary linux-swap(v1)
              2 4195MB 26.0GB 21.8GB primary ext4 boot
              3 26.0GB 237GB 210GB primary ext4
              4 237GB 500GB 264GB extended
              5 237GB 268GB 31.6GB logical ext4
              6 268GB 300GB 32.0GB logical ext4
              7 300GB 500GB 200GB logical ext4

(parted)
              I like to keep swap on the first partition thinking it's the quickest access area of the disk dont remember when I started thinking that but their ya go ....and I do a lot of audio video recoding ...so it's large and I like to suspend to RAM sometimes so it kneads to be as large as the system is using. It dose not half to be first though and most people put / root first.

/sda2 is Kubuntu 11.04,s / root..... my mane sys on this box.
              /sad3 is Kubuntu-11.04's /home/vinny partition.
              /sda5 is Kubuntu-11.10 and it's /home with the home folders linked to sda7
              /sda6 is BT-4 for learning Pen-testing
              /sda7 is a storage partition that I can access from any of the systems.

all 3 systems are booted by grub installed to the MBR (/sda )in the 11.04 install with each of the other 2 systems having their grub's installed(because you cant chose not to install grub wile your installing Kubuntu now) to their partitions.

NOW you have much more room to play with but you get the Idea ......Keep the root partitions small and the /home or storage large and swap sense you have the room to equal RAM

if you plan on running an apache web server you may want /var/www on it's own partition as large as the data you think you may want to serve ............

and wate .......you will get more people chiming in about partitioning Ideas I'm sure.

and as @oshunluvr posted you can change the rest of the partitions and keep your current root but as it's so large I would then put /home back in it.

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

Question 1; In the future if I want to install V-Box and another OS or two won't I need the space in the 'main OS partition' for that?

Question 2; Once I am all set-up I will be downloading and installing some software from various repositories; these will be CAD and electronic programs; will I need room for that on the main installation partition or would it be better to install them into a logical partition for easy of updating separately from Kubuntu?

Comment

Question 1: Unless you install Virtual Machines as Root (way bad idea) the answer is No because the VM's will install to your /home/<USERNAME>/.VirtualBox. You can install them to other locations if you wish, like a dedicated partition, but VirtualBox can handle that with a few settings or you can create a symlink from the default location to anywhere you wish. I have done this in the past when I wanted to access VM's from several bootable installs.

Question 2: I agree with Vinny on the size of / - 16 to 20GB is more than plenty for Kubuntu. You may want to add 20-40GB for your CAD programs and you have room so maybe 60GB is a good idea. Of course, you may at your own wish install any program just about anywhere - this is linux afterall . Although it can be a bit of work. This would be a benefit if you intend to access the programs from multiple OS's or installs. Depending on the program itself, it might be beneficial as a way of preserving the program if you decided to wipe out your install or re-format your partition. If the program is "stand-alone," not dependent on your installed libraries for example, you could create a partition and mount it as /opt and install it there. Many programs not based in Ubuntu use /opt as an install location.

NOTE RE. SWAP: I too put my swap at the "front" of the drive but it's totally a hold over from when it mattered. It doesn't matter anymore because the drive firmware controls the actual locations of sectors and then interprets that to the OS - you really aren't choosing where stuff is on your drive at all, just pretending so the OS can handle it.

As far as /data vs. /home, as Vinny suggested the two most common methods are to either create a single large /home for everything (settings and data) or keep /home within the install and put data (documents, music, pictures...) on a separate partition. The first method preserves your settings along with your data, the second would not. I use a hybrid of both - a large /home with everything in it for Kubuntu and then for my other bootable installs I link to the data directories in the Kubuntu home. Thus I preserve the settings of my main install along with my data while still accessing my data from the others.

With all that hard drive space, I'd keep some space for a parallel install as a backup and maybe 1 or 2 other installs in case you run across another distro you want to try out.

How about this?:
                  /dev/sda1 60GB = Install 1
                  /dev/sda2 60GB = copy of 1
                  /dev/sda3 4 to 8 GB = swap
                  /dev/sda4 = extended
                  /dev/sda5 12GB = testing install
                  /dev/sda6 ?GB = /home

Then keep your current install in sda1 and when it's all setup the way you like (in a month or so) and all your programs are installed, copy the entire sda1 to sda2. As you update and add to it, copy it again (monthly or less often). Then if you "break" it by adding or removing something you shouldn't have, you still have a working copy of the previous state of your install on sda2. As Vinny said - be careful when you do secondary installs to other partitions as to not overwrite grub on your hard drive. Ubuntu and variants require grub be installed when you install the OS, but you can install it to a partition so you don't have to overwrite the original grub.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, I think I am where you guys told me I would be about now [that Learn by Doing Thingy]

I would appreciate you both giving in-put if you do not mind. I don't and believe me you cannot confuse me more than I do so to myself.

2 different but similar partitions;

The first is:

sda1 12GB /Swap
                    sda2 60GB / main-installation
                    sda3 60GB / back-up of sda2
                    sda4 All remaining Extended
                    sda5 20GB testing
                    sda6 20GB testing & learning
                    sda7 20GB /home/oceans.../documents
                    sda8 20GB /home/oceans.../music
                    sda9 20GB /home/oceans.../pictures
                    sda10 1/2 remaining
                    sda11 the remaining available space on the drive
                    __________________________________________________ _______________________
                    The second is:

sda1 12GB /Swap
                    sda2 60GB /main installation
                    sda3 60GB / back-up of sda2
                    sda4 All remaining Extended
                    sda5 20GB testing
                    sda6 20GB testing and learning
                    sda7 250GB /Home/oceans.......
                    sda8 50GB
                    sda9 50GB
                    sda10 100GB
                    sda11 all remaining on hard drive

I think #2 makes more sense because 1] the point made about securing Data and Settings and 2] it makes available two smaller blocks for use in storing CAD and Electrical Drawing Files while leaving a large block and a moderate block open for extending /Home if needed in the future.

I think I have it parsed out correctly, [1000GB=1TB right?]; or is there some other suggestion(s) you may have? Thanks in advance.

Comment

yes option #2 given the size of your hard drive this looks reasonable.

I believe the linux choices for CAD are limited so you may as @oshunluvr sead want to do it in a VM running windows.
                      but I am interested in reading how that go's ether in linux or windows so keep us posted on that if you don't mind !!

A terminology correction just for your knowledge (I'm not criticizing just trying to help)

where you say
                      you are talking about HD's (hard drive setups or partition layout's) a partition is space on the hard drive sda1,sda2.sda3

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

My two cents' worth -- the partitioning plan is needlessly complex, for the requirements.

Make 3 partitions:

- 20GB for /
                        - 1GB for swap
                        - all the rest of it, for data (you could mount this on /home -- I don't, I just use symlinks)

You didn't state any requirements that would indicate you need more than these three partitions. Your docs, music, videos, images can all be on a "DATA" partition, mounted at /mnt/DATA. The top level folders "DOCS", "MUSIC", "IMAGES", and "VIDEOS" can be symlinked into your /home/ocean folder.

If you think you might need a fourth partition for some reason in the future, just leave the desired amount of space as unallocated space after the end of the third partition.

Comment

yes option #2 given the size of your hard drive this looks reasonable.

I believe the linux choices for CAD are limited so you may as @oshunluvr sead want to do it in a VM running windows.
                          but I am interested in reading how that go's ether in linux or windows so keep us posted on that if you don't mind !!

A terminology correction just for your knowledge (I'm not criticizing just trying to help)

where you say
                          you are talking about HD's (hard drive setups or partition layout's) a partition is space on the hard drive sda1,sda2.sda3

VINNY
                          Sorry I was not clear, only 1 HDD this was two different schemes to partition it.

I appreciate your in-put dibl; but I do have a longer range reason or slicing and dicing the Drive. Now that I have it I wish I had gone with my original plan of a 750GB but I got this off the Egg at $30 off.

Comment

OK I'm off to do it now
                            -----------------------------------------------------------

Back up though still without sda5 through 11; after I set up sda4 as logical then the installer would not let me slice and dice it. Will the partition manager in Kubuntu be a way to handle that or should I plan on using my G-Parted Live CD

I'll check in tomorrow because I am going to take my time setting up now that I have a slight clue; I'm going to try and install my Catalyst manually. See thread in 'Other'. I listed the links there in case someone follows.

I think I might actually be getting somewhere now 8)

Comment

When I did my re-installation I got to where I created sda4 in the manual partitioning, then I clicked 'Add' and there was no response so I just proceeded with the install. Below are my current fdisk -l and df -h out-puts in Konsole;

Fdisk -l

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                              /dev/sda1 1 1459 11717632 82 Linux swap / Solaris
                              /dev/sda2 * 1459 8754 58593280 83 Linux
                              /dev/sda3 8754 16048 58593280 83 Linux
                              /dev/sda4 16049 182402 1336230913 5 Extended
                              /dev/sda5 16049 182402 1336230912 83 Linux
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                              /dev/sda2 56G 3.9G 49G 8% /
                              none 7.9G 688K 7.9G 1% /dev
                              none 7.9G 2.7M 7.9G 1% /dev/shm
                              none 7.9G 92K 7.9G 1% /var/run
                              none 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /var/lock
                              /dev/sda5 1.3T 484M 1.2T 1% /home
                              /dev/sda3 56G 180M 53G 1% /usr/local

I had forgot to ask so I used /usr for the mount point of sda3; that is to be my 'back-up' copy of sda2 once I get all of my settings and stuff in place, should it be mounted in a different place?

I did not create the sda5 the installer did that automatically after I proceeded with the installation.

I am confused by the 4 'none' entries in the df -h list, please help me understand what that is about.

I am reading over my print-out of the G-Parted Manual in order to resize sda5 and create sda6 through sda11

As always thank you for your help in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X