• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu 11.04 question

Hi.

I don't want to mess up something..

What have I done so far?

• made bootable Win 7 USB repair (without installation)

• shrunk Win 7 partion via Disc Management utility (have unallocated space)

OK, I was reading Ubuntu Forums and had an impression that when I get to partitioning hard drive I would have an option called "install alongside" or "install side-by-side" So Kubuntu would automatically used unallocated space (created by Disc Management earlier) by choosing one of above options.

Instead I have 2 choices:
    • Guided - use entire disk
    • Manual

I don't want to use "entire disk" because my goal is dual-boot Win 7 & Kubuntu 11.04.
    So I choose "Manual and I saw 3 partions (2 is Win 7 related) last one is unallocated space. When I clicked on last one I get window with some options --->
    1. Type of the new partion:
    • Primary
    • Logical

By default it was on "Logical"

2. Location for the new partion:
    • Beginning
    • End

3. Mount Point:

Have also New partion size & Use as: (Ext4...) Those are fine.

Just to clarify, I need to make of that "unallocated space" partion:
    • / (root) partion - where Kubuntu will be installed
    • swap partion

According to Kubuntu Guide:

In Ubuntu Linux installation also requires two partitions -- a linux-swap partition and the OS partition.

The Linux partitions can either be two primary partitions or can be two logical partitions within an extended partition.
    If only one partition on a hard drive can be made available, it must be used as an extended partition (in which multiple logical partitions can then be created).
    If there are only two existing primary partitions on a hard drive (and plenty of free space on it) then there will be no problem installing Ubuntu as the second operating system and it is done automatically from the Ubuntu LiveCD.

Allow the Ubuntu LiveCD to install to "largest available free space." Alternatively, if there is an extended partition with plenty of free space within it, the Ubuntu LiveCD will install to this "largest available free space" as well.
    I have 2 primary partions that is needed for Win 7 to boot, and have 1 "unalloated space" (which isnt partion yet..) So, as I understand it, I can make 2 primary partions, right?
    No need for making "logical" partion..

That Kubuntu guide is wierd, because it is supposed to be about Kubuntu but it is talking about Ubuntu... It says: "If there are only two existing primary partitions on a hard drive (and plenty of free space on it) then there will be no problem installing Ubuntu as the second operating system and it is done automatically from the Ubuntu LiveCD." - nice, BUT I dont have option "largest available free space" instead "Manual".

My guess I could divide unalloctaed space in 2 primary partions, right? One / other swap.

But I'm confused about 2. option -->
    Location for the new partion:
    What in simple words it means?? What should I choose for / partion and what for swap partion? Beginning or end?
    (I don't want to mess something in Windows partions or windows bootloader)

And last but important:

Should I leave Boot loader Device for boot loader installation default:
    /dev/sda
    OR
    choose manually -->
    /dev/sda1

What is the difference?

How should I configure this all??

Re: Installing Kubuntu 11.04 question

First of all - its very smart of you to begin this discussion now rather than after you're committed to a certain path.

Let talk about grub first because it'll be short: If you install grub to /dev/sda - you will boot to the grub menu and it will boot you to Windows7 when desired. If you install it on any partition rather than in the boot sector, you will be booting to the Windows bootmanager that is currently on your hard drive. I believe Windows7 is deliberately crippled to prevent booting to other OS's.

The Kubuntu vs.Ubuntu question:Kubuntu is Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the distro we all are installing. Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE rather than Gnome or (god forbid) Unity. Lubuntu uses the LXDE desktop, Mythbuntu use MythTV desktop... I think you get the picture. You will be able to install any Ubuntu compatible software on your Kubuntu setup.

On to partitioning: I recommend pre-partitioning using a bootable USB or CD just because it prevents you accidently getting trapped into the wrong move during the install. Also, in the past I have had trouble with installers freezing at the partitioning stage. Better to avoid that by partitioning and formatting in advance then simply selecting the correct partitions during install (using the Manual partitioning method).

Re Logical vs. Primary: Hard drives can only have 4 partitions unless one of those 4 is an Extended partition which can then contain up to 63 Logical partitions.

At this point I am going to recommend you use a Primary partition for swap and then create an Extended with the remaining space. Reason is: It's better for a dozen reasons to have /home on it's own partition and now is the easiest time to get that going.

You'll need to create 2 logical partitions, one for / and one for /home. Your install partition can be anywhere from 4gb for a basic install up to 16gb or so if you're really going to be installing a lot of stuff. I assume this is a fairly modern computer and such has plenty of HD space so why not use 16gb or even 20gb? I also suggest (space permitting) that you reserve a second install partition for future use. You may want to try another distro down the road or make a back-up of your linux install or use the space for a fresh install when it's time to upgrade.

A word about swap size: Swap is used for a couple things - when you over-fill your RAM or when you hibernate. I recommend matching RAM size as a minimum for a laptop since they're often hibernated. For a desktop, it's less important unless you hibernate. Swap equal to RAM size as maximum for desktop with 2gb minimum. So if you have 8gb desktop and never hibernate - 2gb is plenty, even no swap is OK for this setup. If you have a desktop with only 2gb RAM, you might want 4gb swap just in case you edit a movie or something. Swap can also exist as a pagefile (like windows) but is somewhat less efficient. /tmp can also reside in RAM and utilize a swap partition.

So the end result (if you follow my advice):
    /dev/sda - grub bootloader
    /dev/sda1 - windows7
    /dev/sda2 - more windows7
    /dev/sda3 - swap
    /dev/sda4 - Extended
    /dev/sda5 - install partition
    /dev/sda6 - spare install partition
    /dev/sda7 - /home

Sizes will be up to you and your HD capacity.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for your time!

I installed Kubuntu after I talked with guys in #kubuntu channel (IRC). I am now reading your post.

This is how it went --->

I choose "Manual" partitioning. I made 38,764MB (38GB) Ext4 partion (/ (Kubuntu)) and 1GB swap partion.

I did not change any default settings, that is both partions, which I made, are "Logical" not "Primary".
      I also did not change setting Location for the new partition: both partions have "Beginning" no "End"

I'm little confused how Kubuntu named partitions --->

Note:
      Windows 7 has 2 partitions:
      • 100MB big
      • 40GB

In Kubuntu installation partition utility 100MB partion dont have any name it is just "free space" without type (filesystem)
      Win7 partition is named sda1
      Kubuntu partition / - sda5
      swap partition - sda6

Why didn't it name Kubuntu sda2 and swap sda3?? (instead they are sda5 & sda6. wierd...

Anyway, everything installed smoothly (take about 15-20minutes). I could easy boot in Kubuntu (no problems) GRUB installed successfully too.. It had Windows 7 (loader) option - good.
      BUT --->

I couldn't boot in Windows, when I tried it didnt go further than this:
      [img width=400 height=286]http://newverhost.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/windows7_beta_boot_screen.png[/img]

It just restarted, then I pressed F8 and choose option "Disable Restart On System Failure" so I could see BSOD error code and google it later.
      I received BSOD with suggestion to do CHKDSK (if I remember correctly) and error:
      Code:
      0x0000007B
      I thought "OK no problem" --> I have bootable USB Win 7 repair (no installing on this) flash, when I booted from it, it didnt show Windows.
      Funny thing is it did show Windows before I installed Kubuntu. Wierd...

Anyway my guess is, that I just need to do CHKDSK /R /F and everything is going to be fine.

As far as I know I have few options --->

1) find SATA drivers. (then copy them in USB) So I can load them (when it is needed) to identify, that I have installed Win 7 when I boot in Recovery thing using USB flash. Then cmd and command chkdsk.
      2) make bootable USB Win 7 installation with Recovery utilities in it from Kubuntu. Not only repair as I have now.
      3) Do something similar chkdsk in Kubuntu with some utility or software.

What do you recommend?

Problem with 1. is: I have old motherboard (doesn't have any link where I could download drivers to it) and I can't figure out my MB chipset either... so I am stuck!)
      Problem with 2.: don't know how (with what tools etc..)
      Problem with 3: don't know either

Seems that option 2. is best because --->
      click here start reading from #3 post
      The Repair CD does not contain drivers; instead, it only contains the minimal files needed to regenerate the Win7 boot loader files.
      Any links, step-by-step?

Comment

You should do some searching on how to make win7 boot with grub. Likely your grub is pointing at the recovery partition and not the boot partition.

As far as the partition numbering goes - what you have is correct. Partitions 1 thru 4 are reserved for primary partitions. Logical partitions start at number 5 no matter how many primary partitions you have.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          Likely your grub is pointing at the recovery partition and not the boot partition.
          I forget to mention I was able to boot in Safe Mode. => No issue with GRUB.
          And I don't have any recovery partions.

Comment

sometimes resizing a NTFS partition will cause just enough file system corruption as to keep windows from booting .......... it's a good practice to first chkdsk then defrag then chkdsk the partition before resizing then chkdsk it again right after resizing .

if you can boot in to safe mode you can run it from their and see if it fixes things .

start>computer>right click main drive (usualy C: )> click property's > click tool's tab>click error checking >tick check box automatically fix errors ..............it will complane about working on a used drive and ask if you want to schedule a boot time run.......click yes & reboot

or open a command prompt and type
            Code:
            chkdsk /F
            generally if you dont specify.. a drive it will check the currently used one ..........this also will ask you to schedule a boot time scan ....say yes.

or
            Code:
            chkdsk /?
            for a list of options

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
            X