X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Running executables from NTFS vs EXT3

I'm back with another annoying question :P

Problem: Got an executable sitting on a NTFS mounted drive I'd like to run. I double click it and it asks me what I want to open it with (my fragile windows .exe centric brain can't handle this level of confuzzle ). I try to run from the terminal (sudo) and it doesn't throw an error, but then again nothing happens either.

If I copy this same exact executable to anywhere on my Linux partition I can run it just fine via double click or terminal.

File has full rwx permissions -rwxrwxrwx and I even have changed the owner and the group from root to chris to see if that would help out... but noppers.

Question: So uh... yeah... whats going on? Linux no likely my NTFS? Is that the problem? Should this windows-linux share be formatted in FAT32 instead or somethin'? Or is Linux determined to make me use my Home folder that I have been going out of my way to neglect?

As for the executable its just an OpenGL app running off a few x11 libraries (statically) so dependencies aren't a problem. I.e., it should be runnable from anywhere all by its lonesome self.

Re: Running executables from NTFS vs EXT3

How did you mount the partition?
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

fstab
      Code:
      /dev/sda5	/media/Shared 	ntfs 	uid=chris,gid=chris,umask=0000,exec,rw,user,suid,nodev	0	0
      Been tinkerin' around with the options but that's her current setup.

Comment

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=71347

Please Read Me

Comment

Aye, but that looks like a solution to running windows based applications (.exes) off a NTFS drive from within Linux using Wine. As strange as it sounds... I'm trying to run native Linux apps off a NTFS drive from within Linux.

Reason: I have source code plopped on this Shared NTFS drive so that I can easily compile it from either Windows or Linux without having to make a separate copy in each operating system. Being able to have the compiled binaries stored alongside my source code makes things a whole lot easier. However, not being able to execute these binaries, without first having to copy/move them off the NTFS onto my Linux partition, is making things a wee bit more difficult

Comment

Just for fun what happens if you try to run it as root?
            -- anais nin

Comment

My bad - I made an assumption... :P

Have you tried mounting the ntfs drive with the options dmask=0000, fmask=0022

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                Just for fun what happens if you try to run it as root?
                Code:
                root@CLT-E1405: ./blue-moon
                bash: ./blue-moon: Permission denied

root@CLT-E1405: sudo ./blue-moon
                root@CLT-E1405:
                Hmm I'm a little confused... I thought root was the head chief... why did attempting to execute on the first try throw a permission denied while the sudo version didn't. Aren't they the same? Anyways the program doesn't run.. it just immediately goes to the next prompt. :-X

Have you tried mounting the ntfs drive with the options dmask=0000, fmask=0022
                Just gave that a go... same problem... won't run.

Code:
                drwxrwxrwx
                -rwxr-xr-x

Comment

Well fixed it.

I ended up screwing up my partition attempting to find a solution then reformatted to FAT32 then back to NTFS. Turns out none of that was necessary >
                  Thankfully my memory is so poor I can't remember if there was anything important on that drive to rage about

The user option I was using during mounting as stated by the wiki:

Code:
                  user permits any user to mount the filesystem. This automatically implies noexec, nosuid, nodev unless overridden. If nouser is specified, only root can mount the filesystem. If users is specified, every user in group users will be able to unmount the volume.
                  user permits any user to mount the filesystem:

This automatically implies noexec...unless overridden:

Oh well no biggie...the instructions say to simply override and good to go. So I explicitly put exec into my original mounting options as instructed.

My original mounting setup in fstab
                  Code:
                  uid=chris,gid=chris,umask=0000,exec,rw,user,suid,nodev
                  Of course it just so happens in the above.... exec is declared BEFORE user. Dumbo me didn't even stop to think for a minute that the parser for mounting did a straight up read from left to right. Sure enough... moving exec AFTER user allowed me to execute things just fine.

I hate human error.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Running executables from NTFS vs EXT3

Excellent. Good on you for fixing it
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                    X