X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(solved)problem running shell script

kubuntu 10.04
    Platform Version 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)

ok, now, i've been using kubuntu for about a year now but until about 3 months ago i kept windows duel booted so i could still play games. anyway i downloaded a "CorkScrew" package.(CorkScrews are prepackaged wine prefixes inspired by the "Wine bottle" of
    Crossover (cxgames.).)its for dragons age 2. anyway it contains a single .sh shell script that im supossed to run and it installs everything the way it needs to be, only thing is i cant figure out how to run it. tried just clicking on it, and running it in the terminal and it just says no such directory or some such. so does anyone know how to get this .sh to run?

thanks

Re: problem running shell script

In a terminal

sh scriptname

or

./scriptname

I believe the script must also have the executable bit set. Usually when you download something they don't have it set as executable for security reasons.

To set it executable:

chmod o+x scriptname

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      In a terminal

sh scriptname

or

./scriptname

I believe the script must also have the executable bit set. Usually when you download something they don't have it set as executable for security reasons.

To set it executable:

chmod o+x scriptname

ok i set it to executable by rightclicking on it and clicking on the tic box beside "execuable". then i tryed both these commands in the terminal and both times i get the response "sh: Can't open da2_installer"

any other ideas? thanks

Comment

From within the folder containing the script, type:

Code:
        sh ./scriptname
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          From within the folder containing the script, type:

Code:
          sh ./scriptname

like this? this is the responce i got:

travis@Wonderland:~/CorkScrew_DragonAge2$ sh ./da2_installer.sh
          ./da2_installer.sh: 73: zenity: not found

Comment

Are there "README", Readme.txt or INSTALL or Install.txt (or something like this) files ?

It could contain the prerequisites for the installation and the exact installation instructions.

The package/application: zenity is:
            Description: Display graphical dialog boxes from shell scripts
            Zenity allows you to display GTK+ dialogs from shell scripts; it is a
            rewrite of the `gdialog' command from GNOME 1.
            Zenity includes a gdialog wrapper script so that it can be used with
            legacy scripts
            It could be that the installation script is using the zenity to show the installation option dialogs.
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

ok thanks for the help so far

do i need to install this zenity? also this is all the readme file says:

This package contains Dragon Age 2

CorkScrews are prepackaged wine prefixes inspired by the "Wine bottle" of
              Crossover (cxgames.). This package was built using ArchLinux and also tested on Ubuntu 10.04, it should work properly on any Linux distribution with wine properly installed.

To install the game run da2_installer.sh. This will extract the archive to ~/.wine/wineprefixes/DragonAge2.

To launch the game execute the script located in ~/bin, either by double clicking on it, or from a terminal enter: "~/bin/DragonAge2" (case sensative). I reccomend adding $HOME/bin to your PATH, especially if you want to use more then one corkscrew (hint: google it). A desktop launcher is not included with this release, but you can easily make one yourself using the included icon.

To uninstall delete the DragonAge2 folder in ~/.wine/wineprefixes.

also i have wine installed corectly, i know this because i have guild wars working

Comment

zenity is a bash scripting dialog service. Install it to get the pop-up boxes the script will provide.

However, it appears do this :
                To install the game run da2_installer.sh.
                will do what you need.

Please Read Me

Comment

ok but when i click on da2_installer.sh it does nothing

thanks for all the help but i am giving up, i just dont understand enough about this kind of stuff yet
                  again thanks and sorry for the wasted effort

Comment

You don't click on the file. You open a console, navigate to the directory and 'type' the command.

Comment

ok this is where the file is:

/home/travis/CorkScrew_DragonAge2/da2_installer.sh

exactly what do i type in the terminal?

Comment

When you open a console (System > Konsole, or by pressing Alt+F2 and typing konsole and pressing enter) you are in your user home directory. In your case, you will be in /home/travis.

You then type: cd CorkScrew_DraonAge2 and press enter. You will then be in /home/travis/CorkScrew_DragonAge2. Now you type: sh da2_installer.sh and press enter. This should, according to the readme instructions, "...extract the archive to ~/.wine/wineprefixes/DragonAge2."

Then:

"To launch the game execute the script located in ~/bin, either by double clicking on it, or from a terminal enter: "~/bin/DragonAge2" (case sensative). I reccomend adding $HOME/bin to your PATH, especially if you want to use more then one corkscrew (hint: google it). A desktop launcher is not included with this release, but you can easily make one yourself using the included icon."

Of course, you do have to have Wine installed. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

You then type: cd CorkScrew_DraonAge2 and press enter.
                          Then:

now this is what i get:

bash: cd: /CorkScrew_DraonAge2: No such file or directory

and yes i have wine installed

Comment

Re: (solved)problem running shell script

turns out i did have to install zenity

oh well got it working now, and thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                            X