X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{Solved}How to preload modules at boot?

Hi, all

I'm new to Kubuntu and I need to know how I can preload a module at boot up.

I'm running Kubuntu 11.04 64bit.

I want to load the analog module so my joystick will work.

Thanks

Re: How to preload modules at boot?

There is a file in the /etc directory called "modules". Add the name of your module to it (but without the ".ko" extension).

Mine looks like this:
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
    #
    coretemp
    lp
    rtc
    wacom
    The watcom.ko module is one I compile from a tar to enable my Watcom Bamboo tablet.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

welcome to the forums. I don't know what interface your device uses, so I am going to guess it is the old 9-pin serial. Get a terminal window going and enter
      Code:
      inputattach --help
      See if your device is on the list. If it is you should be able to start right in the terminal with something like
      Code:
      inputattach --magellan /dev/ttyS0
      That is what I need for my spaceball, yours will be different. Then a simple test will be to go into system settings/Input devices/joystick. If that all works out, you will want to add that line at the end of /etc/rc.local just before the "exit 0" line. That will make it work at boot. Ignore all of this if your device is USB.
      FKA: tanderson

Comment

New with natty (I believe) there is also /etc/modprobe.d/ which contains boot-time module loading scripts and options.

I'm unsure of when this location is preferred over the "old" way, but I know when I bonded my NIC's I had to use /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf to get it to work right.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks,

Adding "analog" to /etc/modules was just what I was looking for. Another distro I use has a modprobe.preload.d folder in which the desired preload files go.

/etc/modprobe.d is where I put the .conf files to set the module options. In this case "options analog map=fullchf"
          for my CH Virtual Pilot Pro analog yoke and rudder pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by bishb25
            /etc/modprobe.d is where I put the .conf files to set the module options. In this case "options analog map=fullchf"
            for my CH Virtual Pilot Pro analog yoke and rudder pedals.
            /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf is where you can put module options settings.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X