X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu for my pc? -Specs-

Originally posted by oshunluvr
    sithlord - back me up or correct me on this one -

Kira, I think you're confusing recommended with required and 32 bit limitations with 64 bit functionality and listening to too much Microsoft B#!!Sh^t. Didn't you notice all your links start with windows.microsoft?
    yes this is correctly a 32-bit processor can only reconize around 3.8 GB of RAM so if you have 4GB of ram in order to use it all you need to use a 64-bit os. in that case you must have a processor that can run in 64-bit mode. On Windows this is a 100% true statement. their 32bit os can NOT reconnize 4GB of ram. its simply to large of a memory address. with that being said you can use upto 16GB (iirc) of ram on a 32-bit linux kernel provideing you install the PAE (physical address extention) versionn of the kernel. linux is not like windows at all. where MS has issues getting 64-bit programs and driver support. linux has has almost perfect 64-bit version of the kernel for about a decade now (since shortly after the first 64-bit chips came out , btw thank you amd for them ). most people how don't know if they should use 32bit or 64bit are ill imformed because of microsofts spin of the whole thing seams that only redmond had issues getting a working 64bit enviroment with 64-bit programs. i think today there are about 20 64-bit windows programs not made by microsoft. hopefully that explains a bit better for you .
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

sithlord - back me up or correct me on this one -

Kira, I think you're confusing recommended with required and 32 bit limitations with 64 bit functionality and listening to too much Microsoft B#!!Sh^t. Didn't you notice all your links start with windows.microsoft?

1) None of those links had any linux information and what Microslop shoves down the throats of their users as nothing to do with the linux kernel. Microsoft requires 4gb of RAM for their sh^((y OS because it's inefficient.

On to linux:
      2) The RAM requirement for a 64 bit linux install is no different than the RAM requirement of 32 bit - enough to run your OS, desktop and software. There are obvious advantages to more RAM and 64 bit uses more than 4gbs of RAM natively, but you can still use more than 4gbs of RAM with 32 bit - you just have to use the PAE kernel.

I bet the "techs" you talked to don't know anything about it, they're just quoting Microsuck BS they read on the web. You might tell them that Ubuntu is not based on Vista and they should stop spreading make-believe.

Now when you're talking about recommended it comes down to this: You may not see as much performance advantage installing a 64bit kernel over a 32 bit kernel unless you have more than 4gbs of RAM - That used to be true, about two years ago. The PAE 32 bit kernel changed that somewhat.

Nowadays: Unless you have a 32 bit processor or have to run a 32 bit piece of software that won't run on a 64 bit kernel (most will) there is no reason not to use 64 bit. Of course you're not obligated to run 64 bit, but why wouldn't you? Almost any RAM or CPU intensive process will perform faster using 64 bit kernels.

Bottom line: 32 bit processor = 32 bit OS, 64 bit processor = 64 or 32 bit OS : Amount of RAM has nothing to do with it.

Finally this last tidbit: it´s not going to be better cause is 64 bits if your hard drive cant support it...understand me??

Not to be rude, but what the heck are you talking about?? I'm going to assume this is a language barrier issue and not really what you meant. The hard drive has nothing to do with whether or not your CPU is 64 bit.
      Sorry about that I meant Hardware....Didnt know about the PAE kernels, the post cleared out most of my doubts, thanks .

I went to google and tiped 64 bit requirements and microsft was the only stuff showing up...not a micro soft fanboy...but didnt find anything that would clear better my question.

Anyway I noticed you a bit agressive when you posted this...or angry...hope Its my imagination...cause I spoke with humility and wanting to learn...never said I hold the truth.

Thanks for pointing this out made everything clear

[quote]Bottom line: 32 bit processor = 32 bit OS, 64 bit processor = 64 or 32 bit OS : Amount of RAM has nothing to do with it. [\quote]

Cheers, Kira

Comment

I wouldn't say that my attitude when I posted that was angry, maybe aggressive is fair - but it was directed at my assumption that you had been mis-lead by so-called experts who really have no basis in making sweeping statement about linux because they have no experience. It just another example how how the common computer users (those techs) are so brain-washed by microsoft into believing that things like the inability to handle modern computer RAM sizes is something you an't get or have to pay extra for.

It's irks me the same way when I see a commercial for Microsuck7 and they use the term "PC" to mean "Windows Computer." Somebody should sue them for that.

Anyway: If I came across mean or condescending is was not directed at you and I apologize. Sometimes my emotions get the better of me.

Please Read Me

Comment

64 bit also fixes the Y2K38 problem
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I wouldn't say that my attitude when I posted that was angry, maybe aggressive is fair - but it was directed at my assumption that you had been mis-lead by so-called experts who really have no basis in making sweeping statement about linux because they have no experience. It just another example how how the common computer users (those techs) are so brain-washed by microsoft into believing that things like the inability to handle modern computer RAM sizes is something you an't get or have to pay extra for.

It's irks me the same way when I see a commercial for Microsuck7 and they use the term "PC" to mean "Windows Computer." Somebody should sue them for that.

Anyway: If I came across mean or condescending is was not directed at you and I apologize. Sometimes my emotions get the better of me.

Thanks Oshunluvr ^^ made me feel better, I should say sorry also I should-ed known that you were just trying to explain in your best words

Comment

Working...
            X